• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ive never met another disc golfer anywhere but on the course. Have you?

I meet them all the time. Work with a few, drink with a couple. I do wear Discraft and PDGA gear from time to time and have my vehicle stickered up. Also, it is one of my favorite subjects and talk the game up, if given any chance.

One of my better friends now I met at a random wedding and started talking about disc golf. We went out and played a course before some of the wedding activities. We still hang out regularly and are playing a doubles tourney this thursday. Also, I've become friends with a guy whose disc I found and called to give it back. I was driving by and gave the call, turned out he worked at a place that I was right next to when i called....I dropped it off. We still play. And I've seen stickers on cars and give them a thumbs up if I can. In the Twin Cities MN there are a ton of disc golfers so it's not rare. Just today a paid course was super full.....

I have met a few random people who play. One of the guys that does accounting at my work plays, but we have yet to play a round together. Also, one of my good friends from college started playing DG after graduation (I didn't start until the Summer before my last semester) and we have since reconnected due to DG.

Seems like most everyone I meet has played at least once or twice. No set demographic either. Mid-40's plumber used to play, the entire crew at Chipotle plays, the doorman at the bar sometimes plays, some loud and obnoxious dude at the grocery store saw my Innova shirt and told me he plays, same with the quiet nerdy dude at the gas station. Point is, it seems like everywhere I go somebody does play or used to play.

I had a field service tech from a packaging company come and help me at the plant a few weeks ago. Working with him for a couple of days, eventually the subject of disc golf came up. Come to find out, he plays locally so we exchanged info so we can shoot a round some time.

i've met some 'casual' disc golfers outside of the course, but never anybody that takes the game seriously.

in my work (news/media production)... its rare to meet somebody that doesn't consider disc golf as a 'hippy' game. most of our VP level execs have country club memberships, and the company CEO is a huge golf rube... so the mentality extends from the top down. i'd hesitate to mention that i even play outside of the guys/gals that work in my specific department.

I mention it all the time at work. They all seem interested, but the last thing I want to do on my own time is be around the people I work with all week. I'm very into keeping my privacy and personal space while at work. I've never met anyone that plays though. I thought I saw a co-worker browsing his Instagram during a safety meeting and a basket scrolled by, but he doesn't say anything, and I am always wearing my dga hat. But I think it's more of that "fight club" scenario.

Disc golf is my "thing" I do that makes me happy, and I could care less about sharing it with someone, and potentially ruining the game for me if I let them into that part of my life. I guess I only like meeting new golfers on the course.

I attended a work event Friday in Charlotte and 2 coworkers told me they were going to play golf with a frisbee at Renaissance afterward. I also was behind a guy in line to get on a bus at Port Authority in NYC a couple of years ago and a guy had his dg bag and was going to play in NJ. These are the only times I can remember this instance.

I've only met one person, the salesperson for REI, when I was shopping for new DG shoes. He claims he's played before.

I used to work for a guy who told me that he played. This was years back before I've even heard of it. I made fun of it and he said that he could crush 500 feet easy. I said I could do that with one leg... yada, yada.

Wish I still had his contact info now so he can teach me how to even get past 330 feet, lol.

Hey Jeremiah "miah" (ilevelup), shoot me a pm if you see this dude!

I had a guy recognize me from my vids at a Beer festival last year. That blew my mind. He turned around, said "Love the vids!" and then walked off.

I usually wear a Disc shirt when I play softball, and a couple guys on the other team mentioned they played too.

I think a lot of the casual players, tend not to have stickers on there cars. If I had to put a number on how many disc'ers there are in the Cincinnati area, i'd put the casual number in the thousands(at least 4-6k). A couple hundred that play tournaments somewhat regularly.

If i could only afford to go to all the tournaments and had saturdays off. which i just find out i might start getting saturdays off. :hfive::thmbup:

Oh and as to meeting people when i am not disc golfing. yes i have. i have 3 that i work with that until recently did not know they were disc golfers.

I worked at a restaurant/bar for over 2 years before I learned that a couple of coworkers and two managers played. I had heard vaguely of DG before but never tried it. Fast forward a year and a half and we all still play together weekly!
Also since then, I've met several patrons at the bar who hear me talking it up and they also play. It's crazy how big the DG scene is around DFW and I never even knew it lol. I guess it is kinda like Fight Club...:|

I worked at a restaurant/bar for over 2 years before I learned that a couple of coworkers and two managers played. I had heard vaguely of DG before but never tried it. Fast forward a year and a half and we all still play together weekly!
Also since then, I've met several patrons at the bar who hear me talking it up and they also play. It's crazy how big the DG scene is around DFW and I never even knew it lol. I guess it is kinda like Fight Club...:|

To the guys that want to make courses comply with all the ADA rules. From Fight Club:

"Hi. You're going to call off your rigorous investigation. You're going to publicly state that there is no underground group. Or... these guys are going to take your balls. They're going to send one to the New York Times, one to the LA Times press-release style. Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances. We guard you while you sleep. Do not... f with us."

Sounds like a cross section of DGers!

My UPS guy is a disc golfer.

I think he noticed all the DG company addresses on my incoming mail and commented on it lol

My UPS guy is a disc golfer.

I think he noticed all the DG company addresses on my incoming mail and commented on it lol

Well if any packages come up missing you know where to start looking.

I just schedule a work group outing for a Friday afternoon of discing, with me as the emcee.

Latest posts