• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jacquard iDye Poly -- Rit Replacement

Good find! I've been kind of absent for awhile, but had just ran out of Black Rit. I happened to see a post on the changes and was kinda shocked! Went to wal-mart and bought the last of their 2010 black rit dye!
Really like the colors and the price seems very reasonable for the quality.
Thanks!

Another success with the iDye Poly, used black and red. This stuff really is vibrant and dyes very quickly. The red dip was about ~2 minutes, and the "grey" dip was about 30 seconds in black, and came out darker than I expected. I'm very impressed with this dye so far, the quality and color is much higher than RIT from the initial tests. It takes very quickly so you have to really watch them and make sure not to over expose. I had yellow to use on the eyes, but in my excitement to see how it turned out I peeled off the mask before I did them, so I'll test it out on something else.

Star Firebird - Ultraman

Star%252520Firebird%252520-%252520Ultraman%252520for%252520Japan.jpg

Wow, that's awesome! Nice work and another great idea for dye !

This news is wonderful! My wife now knows what I want for my birthday! Can't wait to get this stuff in my airbrush.

@bigmanbailye: Can't wait to see how it turns out in your more than capable airbrushing hands, should be a match made in heaven. The dye is very intense and I think it will be fantastic for painting/airbrushing/marbling. Can't wait to see some of these methods tried out with it.

@dgdave: No intensifier yet. I did notice that there was a lot more left over dye on the top of the disc when I cleaned it this morning to get left over adhesive off. Had a slight problem with the red running, but I use 90% rubbing alcohol, which is a bit too strong for cleaning. It's been a problem with fresh RIT dyes, but this one had sat in the fridge for about 12 hours before cleaning. Seemed like there was a lot more dye willing to come off than I've seen with RIT, but I had not seen this problem with the black idye yet, and I've only used it twice, so I'll keep an eye on that as I dye a few more with it.

Great catch BN! I'd kinda like to see the disc now with the running red, still got it? Is this POIDH situation ;)? And if you do still have it can you take it out of the fridge and stick it in the trunk... for a couple of weeks! That'll accelerate the diffusion process and we'll have an idea on longevity.

Hah, if the disc was mine, I'd do some testing, but it belongs to a friend from the course. I've still got the disc but after some cotton swabs, acetone, and quick work by the girlfriend, it's not too bad at all. There's some discoloration here and there and the red isn't as vibrant, but overall wasn't bad. I'll take another pic tomorrow morning when there's some good light.

Really it's my fault for being an idiot and using 90% rubbing alcohol, I've had the same thing happen with RIT and reds/black tends to be the worst. I'm curious if the intensifier would help the dye set deeper in the disc and prevent this, and if that would lead to more bleeding over time. Time to find the tester disc.

Great catch BN! I'd kinda like to see the disc now with the running red, still got it?

Here ya go Dan, you can see some of the red running, and some smudges and things like that, but you've gotta look close. I delivered the disc today and the guy was stoked on it.

Like I said, it was my fault for messing around with 90% rubbing alcohol on fresh dye, just seemed like more dye sitting on top than usual, but I've seen it with red before. As for what RIT thinks, they changed their formula, it was only a matter of time until we found a replacement. iDye doesn't have the range of colors that rit does yet, but all the basics are covered. Maybe with the dyers making ourselves known to the jacquard people and putting a demand out for more colors, they'll expand the line.

Which craft store did you get it from? I've never seen this stuff. And does the store you got it at carry all 8 of the poly colors? I want to try some and need to go to Reno tomorrow any way.

Jo Anns has it, In Nor Cal. I looked at this stuff before but wasnt sure. Great find and what a load off.

Which craft store did you get it from? I've never seen this stuff. And does the store you got it at carry all 8 of the poly colors? I want to try some and need to go to Reno tomorrow any way.

Ben Franklin and Michaels both carry it, I think they have all 8 at Ben's, not sure about Michaels though.

Thx burnt, still looks great! I'll get some and give it the trunk test here pretty soon. And I agree with yrnmbrsup, what a load off!!

Another success with the iDye Poly, used black and red. This stuff really is vibrant and dyes very quickly. The red dip was about ~2 minutes, and the "grey" dip was about 30 seconds in black, and came out darker than I expected. I'm very impressed with this dye so far, the quality and color is much higher than RIT from the initial tests. It takes very quickly so you have to really watch them and make sure not to over expose. I had yellow to use on the eyes, but in my excitement to see how it turned out I peeled off the mask before I did them, so I'll test it out on something else.

Star Firebird - Ultraman

That is some amazing color!

This sucks. I went to four different hobby shops today and came up with nothing but Rit, Dylon (idk if this works), and Tulip which i hear sucks. Dont really wanna order it online since im pretty new to dying and it cost like a million for shipping from anywhere i found...

This sucks. I went to four different hobby shops today and came up with nothing but Rit, Dylon (idk if this works), and Tulip which i hear sucks. Dont really wanna order it online since im pretty new to dying and it cost like a million for shipping from anywhere i found...

I was able to get 8 packets of it for about $30 shipped from Dick Blick Art Supplies. I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Star Firebird - Ultraman

I don't dye, but the color is really vibrant. I wondering with such bold colors, how is it going to fade?

And that is the $64 question!

I got three colors in the mail today ($16 shipped) and am hoping it's comparable to RIT, only time will tell.

Latest posts