• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jason's Bag -- Suggestions Wanted

jlhorner1974

Hello everyone. I'm looking to build my bag as I start to improve my game (contents listed below). I've been playing about 4 months now. I'm about 5' 9", 210#. I throw almost totally RHBH, though I am trying to develop a forehand without a huge amount of success so far. I am definitely still working on my technique and throwing mechanics. I have an odd mixture of Innova and Trilogy Discs and I like them quite a bit.

I can throw about 250' on a good throw with my Valkyrie and Witness, from a standstill (no runup). I've had a couple of throws that I couldn't accurately measure the distance, but probably were about 275'. I can throw the Mako and Truth about 200-220' on a good throw (no runup), but I'm inconsistent. This morning, I threw the Mako about 225' dead straight with no fade, no runup. The Stag and Boss I cannot control very well (probably too overstable). I'm working on adding in a runup with an X step while still keeping form semi decent. When I try to throw hard, I sometimes turn my Truth, Mako, and Witness over (griplock maybe?). My son has a 150g DX Leopard, and almost everytime I try to throw it for distance, I turn it over hard when release flat (gotta work on a hyzer flip there, right?).

So I'm looking to get another disc or two to round out my bag. I'm thinking of two ideas:
1) a high speed distance driver to boost my driving distance (something like a Champ Daedalus, Champ/Star/Blizzard Vulcan, Champ/Star/Blizzard Katana, Champ/Star Tern, Champ/Star/Blizzard Wraith, or Champ/Star Mamba). Have not tried a Blizzard, but am very interested in it.
2) I've also had my eye on the Latitude 64 River. We have a lot of tunnel shots here on my local courses and the glide sounds yummy.

An additional data point: I threw a friend's 175g Star Vulcan last weekend and it looked like it flew mostly true to the numbers. Might have gone about 230 or so, but probably wasn't my best throw.

I'm option to any other suggestions and recommendations for this and other types of discs also. Thanks!

Drivers
175g Champion Glow Boss (got it in a player's pack, totally can't handle it)
166g Champion Valkyrie

Fairway Drivers
171g Lucid Witness
170g Westside Stag (found it in a creek, don't use it much)

Midrange
180g DX Roc (got it in a player's pack)
180g Champ Mako3
176g Prime Truth

Putters
174g Lucid Judge
175g Prime Judge

My advise? Don't wonder down the road of new discs looking for distance, it will hurt you in the long run. If you can't get a Valkyrie consistently over 250', anything faster isn't going to help and a Boss will be a completely unusable meat-hook for you.

Work on your form, get advise from better players, post a video of your throw so you can get some advise.

Put away your drivers and work with your fairways, Mids and putters. In short order you'll be a better player instead of a torque monkey that has to relearn how to throw next, or the year after. It's harder to un-learn than to learn well from the start.

Just my 2 cents.

Your advice is appreciated.

The Boss just sits in my bag for now, until I'm ready for it. I imagine I will improve my distance once I get a consistent runup. I have an opportunity to get a disc or two for the holidays and just looking for ideas on what would be a good next disc or two to get.

I have an opportunity to get a disc or two for the holidays and just looking for ideas on what would be a good next disc or two to get.

(1st pick) Comet! Best teaching disc out there.

Next
Leopard, Pro or Star

Others you might try
Patriot
TL
FD
River

Welcome to the sport and Best of luck.

I use the River and it is an awesome disc! I think you'll like it a lot.

I'm not going to tell you not to get a driver faster (higher speed) than a Valkyrie, but I would recommend to not go higher than an 11 (Wraith, Krait, Archon, Wave) for the time being. A Blizzard Krait or Wraith will let you know where you "stand" vis-a-vis higher speed drivers. If you can rip an 11 speed past your max Valkyrie speed and your form is good, then go with that and work up to a Blizzard Destroyer or Boss....

I wish someone told me this when I first started

More discs =/= better skill

If I were you I would just take my judges, prime truth and the witness and play with those working on technique (driving, putting, approaching) and consistent releases.

Especially don't go for anything bigger than your witness/valkyrie, it won't give you anymore distance, TRUST ME.

Required Reading:

Technique Sticky

Good Instructional Vids

How to Build a Bag

If you are turning over mids you are rolling your wrist and you might be pulling too high across your chest. Stick with your current discs and leave the Boss in the closet for a while. I bought a Wraith when I first started and couldn't throw it over 200 ft lol.. we almost all start that way unless you have a close group of friends wise enough to tell you otherwise. Work on your form. Throwing with better technique now is more important than throwing hard. Make sure your grip is good to start. Check out the following link.

mids and putters will be your friends. i wish i started with those. instead i learned to throw a 167g Wraith and was frustrated that i couldnt throw it.

the claymore has been a great teaching tool for me. it tells me when i have thrown it with poor form or too much power or bad release angle. but if you dont have access to one, what was recommended and what you have are fine.

also, lighter weights may/may not affect the bottom line.

I picked up a River last week and I threw one about 270' after a couple of tries (and that was from a standstill with no runup). Even on a more mediocre throw, I was getting it 230-240' and it didnt seem to require as much effort. Definitely loving it so far.

Now I'm wondering if the Saint would work for me. Anyone have one?

Stop wondering what disc. And start wondering what is good form. Work on your form not disc selection!

I think your already on right track. Take your Truth out and play a few rounds with just it. Use it as driver, midrange, and putter. Practice trick shots with it. Sleep with it at night. Stick to Discs rated as fairway drivers. Still today I can throw a innova viper farther than any max speed Disc. Throw the Valkyrie away and get a innova TL. An Escape might work better for you than a Witness.

I picked up a River last week and I threw one about 270' after a couple of tries (and that was from a standstill with no runup). Even on a more mediocre throw, I was getting it 230-240' and it didnt seem to require as much effort. Definitely loving it so far.

Now I'm wondering if the Saint would work for me. Anyone have one?

I just ordered a Gold Line Saint and it's in the mail. The Fury became understable for me (still useful but too flippy for some things), and I'm hoping/expecting the Saint will season in and be that straight/stable long-fairway driver. You and I throw similar distances, so I'll let you know how the Saint works for me.

Throw the Valkyrie away and get a innova TL.

The idea of a TL is excellent, though the OP said he has a River now, which is similar to the TL. But DON'T throw that Valkyrie away; it will become not only useful but "go-to" in the future when the form and strength gets better...

I'd recommend throwing the Valkyrie at the range from time to time to see what progress has been made over time....

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm taking all your comments under advisement.

Well, Disc Golf Claus was good to me. I got a misprint Flow and Bolt for Christmas, but I probably won't use those much now. I'll throw them in the field to see how I'm doing.

On a more interesting note, when playing on Christmas Day, I threw my River into the creek and had to slog through to find it. I did manage to locate it, but not before I found a DX Wraith, a Champion Groove, a Z Buzzz, and a Z Comet. Only the Buzzz had contact info on it and the person hasn't responded to my call.

So I've got some interesting discs now. I figure the Wraith can serve as a barometer for how I'm doing, like the Flow and Bolt. The Buzzz and Comet are more interesting. I was thinking of getting a Fuse, at some point, but the Comet can probably fill that slot now, and the Buzzz will be another stable midrange.

So, based on this new information, any advice? I plan to try to throw all the new stuff in the field, focusing on the midranges. I've not thrown any Discraft before.

My advice

You've got a few discs now. Like you said throw in the field. I've only been playing about 2 years and I try and go to a open field and just throw everything and see how everything flys for you. Keep practicing your run up. I threw standstill for months and just throwing in open field helped so much with that. With throwing into a field you can notice alot easier how turning your wrist hyzer or anhyzer can affect the flight of the disc. The best advise I've ever gotten is go out and play a round with only your putters NOTHING else. Putters fly exactly where you place them it will elevate your game so much.

Latest posts