• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jdw80550 Bag thread

jdw80550

* Ace Member *
So I've decided to put together one thread and simply update it. (I know should have thought of this a long time ago)

RHBH, FH only if I absolutely have to, thumber to say I can throw one.

Drivers
Z Surge, 166g, Max Distance Driver (420')
S-PD, 172g, Long hyzers, straight with good fade, most winds (400')
Champ Orc, 169g, Everything disc, long hyzers, long annys, hyzer-flips (440' farthest ever, most 410')

Fairway Drivers
Opto Trident, 175g, Wind, skips, and spikes
Champ Glo Gazelle, 175g, Same thing as the S-PD only shorter (360')
Champ Glo Gazelle, 170g, Straight without turning over (375')
Opto River, 173g, Annys and hyzer-flips (400')
GL River, 175g, Same as the other, but breaking-in to be super flippy long

Mids
S-GM, 175g, Same line as the Gazelle, but I can really throw this hard without blowing by holes that I do with the Gazelle (325')
Z-Buzzz, 172g, Gentle hyzers, straight, annys that come out at the end
Z-Buzzz SS, 174g, Annys and hyzer-flips
ESP Zone, 175g, Trouble disc, FH approaches, spikes, reliable approaches (270')

Putters
Grip Pure, 174g, Main Putter and Approach disc
HPP Voodoo, 174g, Back-up, straight driving holes, when I start to feel like I'm in a funk I switch over to it for putting duties (simply a mental thing)

I was very upset the other day b/c I went to the field with my old high speed stuff, thinking, "Yeah it's time to bust them out." Yeah it's not time, Orc and Surge were making it as far as the Nukes, Katanas, and Havocs.

Couple of questions:

1. I found I really like the Pure, can anybody recommend a reason to get a Zeroline or just stick to the Grip?
2. I don't really have an overstable distance driver, but between the S-PD and Trident do I really need one?
3. I'm debating on putting a fuse back into my back, any reason to keep the SS and a Fuse?
4. Thoughts from people that carry multiples of discs in different plastics, is there a specific reason to carry a C-PD(tried the P-PD, not for me) and/or Pro or Star Orc?
5. I throw a lot of annys, is there an amazing anny disc that I'm missing?

Thanks for all the help!:thmbup:

2. I don't really have an overstable distance driver, but between the S-PD and Trident do I really need one?

I would argue that you don't. I kind of have the opposite approach. The only reeeally overstable mold I carry is the Opto Blitz. One highly overstable mold is usually enough, or you are getting into kind of specialty shots with a disc. I'm sure you'll get different opinions, though.

Buzzzzzzzz SS vs. Fuse: If you aren't on the course going, "Man, I wish I had the fuse for this shot," then you don't need it.

As for the super-high speed stuff vs. what you are currently throwing: If you put a lot of snap....wait, let me rephrase.....if you put a lot of clean spin on the disc (specifically really get the RPMs up) you will see less of a differance between speed 11 and 13 than someone who is primarily using arm speed to motivate the disc.

5. I throw a lot of annys, is there an amazing anny disc that I'm missing?

For throwing a disc with anny release and holding the line I love me the ESP Avenger SS. For an "amazing anny" a Vision is the best distance driver hyzer flip disc I've ever come across. That disc flips up and tracks right like none other. It truely does the work for you and that's right out of the box.

I would argue that you don't. I kind of have the opposite approach. The only reeeally overstable mold I carry is the Opto Blitz. One highly overstable mold is usually enough, or you are getting into kind of specialty shots with a disc. I'm sure you'll get different opinions, though.

Buzzzzzzzz SS vs. Fuse: If you aren't on the course going, "Man, I wish I had the fuse for this shot," then you don't need it.

As for the super-high speed stuff vs. what you are currently throwing: If you put a lot of snap....wait, let me rephrase.....if you put a lot of clean spin on the disc (specifically really get the RPMs up) you will see less of a differance between speed 11 and 13 than someone who is primarily using arm speed to motivate the disc.

This was my thinking for the OS part, I just don't know how many really long throws I would need for me to carry something faster than what I've got, that's not to say I don't have them on the ready just in case;)

I was hoping you would tell me to get the Fuse back out, but no I'm not missing the lines, just the sweedish plastic.

For throwing a disc with anny release and holding the line I love me the ESP Avenger SS. For an "amazing anny" a Vision is the best distance driver hyzer flip disc I've ever come across. That disc flips up and tracks right like none other. It truely does the work for you and that's right out of the box.

What plastic do you like the vision in? I've tried the Avenger SS and it just didn't click right with my turned and burned alittle too much.

Also I've thought about picking up another Buzzz, either Cryztal or ESP, comments.

Haha...I feel you on the sweet swedish plastic. I have a Blitz in Opto and a GoldLine Fuse. Love them. And that blue GL is just fun to look at. My wife throws a color shift.

As an aside, I think the SS and OS idea Discraft is going with is ver clever for two reasons. 1) It tells you where to look for an understable/overstable compliment to a disc. 2) It makes people feel like they are still allllllmmmmooosssst only using one mold for say a Buzzz and Buzzz SS when really the two discs could just as easily have a different name. And then we would all realize 100% it is two distinct molds.

I'm not hating on that, I actually think it is clever.

That said, for reason number 2 above, it doesn't surprise me that the Avenger SS turns and burns. It isn't really like an Avenger according to me.

I think recommending an anny disc is probably the hardest disc to recommend to someone else, because throwing style for an anny is very different person to person. I will say for a touch anhyzer, an X-Xs is a great disc. You can introduce just a nudge of OAT and you can really affect the point at which it will flip. A Q-JLS is an option, too, if you are going to release it a little anny (I think they are harder to throw a touch anny with, but I throw a small hyzer flip as a general rule).

I will say the Q-JLS doesn't turn and burn after it starts it's turn as much as the X-XS. For that reason I use the X-XS when I need to put it on a high anny line where the disc has a little time to come out of it if need be. And while the JLS is my go to straight fairway driver, it will initially hold the line so well it works great for an anny shot where I actually release it anny.

Wow. That was a lot of typing.

What plastic do you like the vision in? I've tried the Avenger SS and it just didn't click right with my turned and burned alittle too much.

A couple friends and I have Opto Visions, haven't tried the gold. This disc is very understable on distance drives. If you like to flip then you will love this disc. If you anny release it is rolling. The Avenger SS is nothing like the regular Avenger. If the SS is too understable maybe a pro valkrie might be up your alley. The Pro valk can handle power with an anny release and hold the line IMO. I'd say it's a notch more stable than the SS. Many people on this forum swear by sidewinders and roadrunners.

Curious as to what are peoples thoughts on the new Pro Orcs, I figure if I like using the Orc I have now would a new Pro beat in well. Haven't thrown one since they came out, so interested.

Drivers
Z Surge, 166g, Max Distance Driver (420')
Champ Orc, 169g, Everything disc, long hyzers, long annys, hyzer-flips (440' farthest ever, most 410')
Star Orc, 169g, Little more stable than the Champ, better fade on it.
Pro Orc, 170g, trying to beat this into a super long anny disc.

Fairway Drivers
GL River, 175g, Same as the other, but breaking-in to be super flippy long

Mids
S-GM, 175g, Same line as the Gazelle, but I can really throw this hard without blowing by holes that I do with the Gazelle (325')
Crystal Buzzz, 173g, Hyzers and straight shots (new lost the other Buzzz:thmbdown:)
Z-Buzzz SS, 176g, New SS that is bridging the gap till the new Buzzz breaks in then I'll take it out
Opto Fuse, 177g, Replaced the Buzzz SS understable duties

Putters
Grip Pure, 174g, Main Putter and Approach disc
HPP Voodoo, 174g, Back-up, straight driving holes, when I start to feel like I'm in a funk I switch over to it for putting duties (simply a mental thing)

Z Magnet, 172g, Main putter, little more stable than the pure and floats a little better
S Voodoo, 174g, Driving and long up shots putter

Thanks for all the help!:thmbup:

So I made a few changes to the bag, added a couple Orcs and threw the Fuse back in b/c I was missing the amazing annies. Let me know if you feel I'm missing something or have too much of something.

Blue= newly added

Drivers
Pro Orc, 170g, Max Distance 450ish (hit it today twice)

Fairway Drivers
GL River, 176g, Straight to slight anny

Mids
Z-Buzzz, 171g, Gentle Hyzers and straight shots
Opto Fuse, 177g, Replaced the Buzzz SS understable duties- Annys and Hyzer-flips

Putters
Z-Magnet, 171g- Putter and Aproaches
Z-Magnet, 172g, Same

I switched to the magnets b/c they felt a little more consistent in my regular putting duties.

I think I'm fairly set on my bag, the Gazelles, River, Trident, Orcs, Buzzz, Fuse, and Zone have been locked into position.

Debating on keeping the S-GM or replacing it, lately it hasn't been as stable as it was fresh, lost alot fade after a few tree shots, I may go back to the Wasp.

Also not entirely sold on the S-PD, it does it's job, but doesn't get used alot, I'm debating taking it out and adding maybe replacing with a FB or Pred, I don't know when these were in the bag they had the same issues the PD is having now, taking up space for the most part.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

So after a tourament this weekend I found I really like my set up. The PD is staying put, I used it quite a bit for some amazing hyzer lines.

The S-GM did it's job, but not sure it's needed, I keep it in for some windy days.

I added a Buzzz SS to fill the gap in between the Fuse and regular Buzzz, and was very pleased, my line up went to automatic anny with the fuse, straight with no left to right with the Buzzz SS, and straight with fade or hyzer with the Z Buzzz.

The only thing I found myself wanting was a distance driver that held a similar line to my River. The Orcs at that distance still had a little too much fade and ended up costing me a couple of strokes. Thoughts on this would be appreciated. I was thinking something like a Sidewinder, TD, or Archon.

I'm still trying to stay away from the real high speed stuff, b/c I found I did much better without it this year compared to last year when it was in the bag. I wasn't it the trees nearly as much and my score reflected that.

you would prob really like the C-TD.. i could get super straight lines on it or nice S shots depending on power and was getting some of my best distance ever with it. Im discn down now but star sidewinder was my main driver and prob will be again once i disc up but i use them for long annys and s shots,etc.

I was looking at the numbers and it says a TD is rated the same as a Beast, I have no experience with either but wondered what differences if any people found between them?

I was also very intrigued with the Sidewinder, the numbers make it look super flippy, is it?

I want something that if I put a big anny on, it will hold the line, but if thrown straight will flex slightly and come back just a tade. Maybe this is wanting too much, but it's the shot I can get my Rivers to do, I just want an extra 40-50' on the same line.

i would say the TD is WAY less stable then a Beast.. its like a faster, straighter roadrunner.. i might not throw at the same power level as you but i love sidewinders.. i have a worn one that will hold an anny and not come back but a fresh would just fine.. i throw stars around 168g.. I dont have much experience with the TD but i know booter likes both the S and C-Line.. my s-line seemed to be more stable then my TD.. or not as understable i guess i should say

Blue= newly added red= Gone

Drivers
Pro Orc, 170g, Max Distance 450ish (hit it today twice)-I find I don't use it much b/c I don't want to loose it, plus not many 400'+ holes around, and the Champ will do most of the same shots.

Fairway Drivers
11x KC Pro Gazelle, 173g,- Replaces the 175g, same thing but it cool.
Star Gazelle, 172g, Trying it out to see if it will replace the 170g, so far so good, just really domey.
Opto River, 173g, Annys and hyzer-flips (400')- This has now replaced the GL b/c it has beat in enough
Opto River, 171g-Fresh, straight, easy hyzers, and annys that come back just a tad
GL River, 176g, Straight to slight anny

Mids
Z-Buzzz, 171g, Gentle Hyzers and straight shots
Z-Buzzz SS, 175g- Straight shots, annys that need to stay up a little longer, can put a little more power on than the Fuse, may replace the regular Buzzz
GL Fuse, 177g, Replaced the Buzzz SS understable duties- Annys and Hyzer-flips

Putters
Z-Magnet, 171g- Putter and Aproaches
Z-Magnet, 172g, Same

Just a few updates, still looking for the wonderful distance anny disc. Not the TD, A-SS, or Roadrunner. Still haven't tried the Sidewinder or Vision yet.

Why the Orc and Surge?

You try putting with D Magnets? I'd imagine them to work a little better as far as sticking to the chains, and they would glide better.

I haven't thrown a Fuse but from what I know about it I think Fuse / Buzz would work well. Buzz and Buzz SS don't really show much difference for me unless thrown over 300', and even then the difference isn't huge. Something more true understable is better IMO.

Also curious o hear your thoughts on how the River and Gazelle work different roles for you. I've never thrown a River so I'm just curious. I'd imagine they're a bit longer and start out with less stability?

Why the Orc and Surge?

You try putting with D Magnets? I'd imagine them to work a little better as far as sticking to the chains, and they would glide better.

I haven't thrown a Fuse but from what I know about it I think Fuse / Buzz would work well. Buzz and Buzz SS don't really show much difference for me unless thrown over 300', and even then the difference isn't huge. Something more true understable is better IMO.

Also curious o hear your thoughts on how the River and Gazelle work different roles for you. I've never thrown a River so I'm just curious. I'd imagine they're a bit longer and start out with less stability?

Personally I love the combination. The Rivers are extremely neutral, will hold the perfect annys and great for hyzer-flips. They are longer than the Gazelles without the end fade. The Gazelles are great workable drivers but have the nice predictable fade I want. Distance and annys I go with Rivers, Straight, hyzers, and bailout annys I go Gazelle. In fact the Rivers are almost as long as my Orcs.

Tried a beat in P-PD yet?

Yeah I tried the beat P-PD and honestly it over lapped too much with the River. That and the Rivers hold up a little better. I've thought about trying out an Archon as the understable driver too. God help me, maybe even a Vulcan.

Sidewinder's worth a try. They're a good S-curving disc and power down easily. If you want to go decidedly understable, Beast or Monarch are worthwhile. You could try a ~165 Orc and beat it in a bit. Personally, I like Monarchs. They get flippy but in a tailwind, downhill or hyzer flipped into a turnover that doesn't fade back, they are really underrated. A beat Valk is good too for something hard to turn and burn. Anything faster though, I can't really help.

It doesn't bother me at all. The one on the Groove did but I think it was b/c it's a wider rim. Some people it bothers, some people it doesn't.

Latest posts