• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jdw80550 Bag thread

Nice to know, thanks BroD. I'm going to be heading to local shop this weekend, hold the Monarch and the Sidewinder and see which one feels best. Is there a perfered SW plastic to try, or is more just personal preference?

I don't think so. Star beats a little faster, usual stuff. They start pretty straight and as they beat in they S-curve more. They're a really nice first distance driver and nifty for weaving through woods. Garublador doesn't like them, he thinks they're squirrely but I've never agreed. :rolleyes:

So went to league today and got to try out a few of the discs I've been curious about: CE Valk, GL Vision, Champ Sidewinder, and a Star Archon.

The Valk was cool and felt great, but definately too flippy.

The Sidewinder as definately what I was looking for, but it wasn't as far as I expected it to be.

The Vision was a fun disc to throw, straighter than I expected it to be, but held the anny line really well.

The Archon is not the disc for this particular shot, but "Holy Crap," I rip the bejesus out of it. Super easy straight distance.

I think that I'm going to go with the Vision for the understable slot, and add a Archon for Big D. Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll let you know how things work out.

COLOR="blue"]Blue[/COLOR]= newly added red= Gone

Drivers
S-PD, 172g, Long hyzers, straight with good fade, most winds (400') lost it yesterday
Champ Orc, 169g, Everything disc, long hyzers, long annys, hyzer-flips (440' farthest ever, most 410')
C-TD, 171g, Testing this to see if it will take over Understable Duties.
Star Archon, 172g, this will turn into the Max D Driver

Fairway Drivers
Opto Trident, 175g, Wind, skips, and spikes
11x KC Pro Gazelle, 173g,- Hyzers, tight S curves
Star Gazelle, 172g, Straight with small fade at the end, longer hyzers than the 11x
Opto River, 173g, Annys and hyzer-flips (400')- This has now replaced the GL b/c it has beat in enough
Opto River, 171g-Fresh, straight, easy hyzers, and annys that come back just a tad

Mids
S-GM, 175g, Same line as the Gazelle, but I can really throw this hard without blowing by holes that I do with the Gazelle (325')
Z-Buzzz, 171g, Gentle Hyzers and straight shots
Z-Buzzz SS, 175g- Straight shots, annys that need to stay up a little longer, can put a little more power on than the Fuse, may replace the regular Buzzz
GL Fuse, 177g, Replaced the Buzzz SS understable duties- Annys and Hyzer-flips
ESP Zone, 168g, Trouble disc, FH approaches, spikes, reliable approaches (270')

Putters
Z-Magnet, 171g- Putter and Aproaches
Z-Magnet, 172g, Same

Not too many changes, added an Archon for some max D. Testing out a TD, but it seems to be more stable than I had originally anticipated.

Lost my S-PD, so I'm debating picking up another one or switching over to a Z Pred. I found that I didn't use the PD a whole lot, more for windy days and long spike hyzers. So open to suggestions. I use the Trident for most extreme overstable shots, so looking for more of a workable OS distance driver. Just to give an idea, I couldn't do jack with a Nuke OS I tested, but my last pred got a little flippy. Might try out a max weight Destroyer to see if that does what I want, but I don't know.

So we just had our first frost last week, which means it's time for a bag change to easy to find colors. This is one of my favorite times of the years b/c it give you the chance to try out some new things and play with some new discs. So the priority went to color then closest thing to what's been in the bag. There's a few goodies that stayed, but a ton that have switched. This is a lot of discs for me, but I don't carry them all the time, certain courses favor different discs.

Blue Testing
From Old Line Up

Distance Drivers

Star Destroyers, 166g- This is one of the "Destrulcans" so I'm hoping it will be nice and workable. I'm hoping this will be my straight to slightly overstable Max D Driver.
Star Archon, 172g- This is my Max D driver right now. I'm hoping this will be my undstable to straight Max D driver.
GL Bolt, 174g- Just testing it out
Pearly Champ Orc, 170g- This is the control distance drivers
Pearly Champ Viking, 171g- Testing
Z Predator, 173g- Overstable workable distance
SP Tsunami, 175g- Overstable workable distance
The Pred and Tsunami are fighting it out.

Fairway Drivers

GL Trident, 173g-Utility disc, Spikes, overhead, skips
11x KC Pro Gazelle, 173g- Predictable fade, small S, control hyzers
Star Gazelle, 172g- Longer S and hyzers
Opto River, 173g- Nice and beat, great for annys and straight with no fade
GL River, 179g- Colorshift, hoping this with be straight or straight with slight fade

Mid-Range

GL Fuse, 175g- Understable duties, hyzer-flips
Z Buzzz, 173g- Straight, gentle hyzers, come-back annys(this is a different Buzzz)
Z Wasp, 170g- Hyzers, baby S, straight with fade, skips
ESP Zone, 168g- FH saves, stick approaches

Putters

Pro-D Rattler, 174g- Approaches
Proline Titanic, 173g- New and also FLX plastic, stick to the chains in the winter
Z Magnet, 171g- Drives and jump putts

The only real questions of will it make it into the bag are the Star Destroyer, GL Bolt, Pearly Champ Viking, Star Gazelle, Colorshift River, and Rattler.

-I'm most hopeful the Rattler, especially for 80'-120' approach range.
-I do have high hopes for the Star Destroyer, but we will see.
-I want the Colorshift River to make it b/c the other River I have is going to be more difficult to see.
-The Star Gazelle is great when it's used, but I don't use it very much, I've found the River can cover more shots than the Gazelle does.
-The GL Bolt is hopefully going to be the super anny hyzer-flip disc.
-Pearly Champ Viking is pretty and easy to see, that's it.

Blue Testing
From Old Line Up
Out

Distance Drivers

Star Destroyers, 166g- This is one of the "Destrulcans" so I'm hoping it will be nice and workable. I'm hoping this will be my straight to slightly overstable Max D Driver.
Star Archon, 172g- This is my Max D driver right now. I'm hoping this will be my undstable to straight Max D driver.
GL Bolt, 174g- Just testing it out
Pearly Champ Orc, 170g- This is the control distance drivers
Proline Orc, 175g- I really love this disc and just said, "screw it, I'm going to throw it."
Pearly Champ Viking, 171g- Testing
Z Predator, 173g- Overstable workable distance
SP Tsunami, 175g- Overstable workable distance
The Pred and Tsunami are fighting it out.

Fairway Drivers

Star Gazelle, 172g- Longer S and hyzers
GL River, 179g- Colorshift, hoping this with be straight or straight with slight fade

Mid-Range

GL Fuse, 175g- Understable duties, hyzer-flips
Z Buzzz, 173g- Straight, gentle hyzers, come-back annys(this is a different Buzzz)
Z Wasp, 170g- Hyzers, baby S, straight with fade, skips

Putters

Proline Titanic, 173g- New and also FLX plastic, stick to the chains in the winter
Z Magnet, 171g- Drives and jump putts

-I do have high hopes for the Star Destroyer, but we will see.
-The GL Bolt is hopefully going to be the super anny hyzer-flip disc.

So after a couple of rounds yesterday, I already have some slight modifications to the bag.
-The Pearly Orc is out, it was nice but not wow, so I'm switching back to the Proline that is Wow.
-River made it, I feel like the really heavy weight in the GL made it more useable for my needs.
-The Star Gazelle now has a permenate place b/c of it's ablility to bail out of an anny right at the end, giving you those, "come back, come back, come back....yes!" shots.
-The Rattler surprised me more than any of the other discs though because it just sat down. It didn't glide, or fade, or anny, it just flew and then fell, really a neat disc to play with. Only downside is since it's Pro-D, it won't dye (at least not well) and this is a problem. Yes, I'm snooty.
-Only threw the Viking once and it performed like a slower Orc, so it may stay in the bag or I may just crank on the Gazelle or power down the Orc, but we'll see.

Didn't really throw the Destroyer, Bolt, Pred, or Tsunami, so their still on trial.

Once again I won't carry all these discs all the time, but more for tournament play.

^^^ i have been testing the Rattler too and was surprised this weekend with it.. very fun to throw and just like GLong told me it is very cometish in the fact that it pretty much does what you tell it too and like you said it manages to stay inside the circle if you go past the basket

So after a few field practice rounds I think the Viking may stay. It's nice and straight thrown at about 70-80% power, turns over a little at full power but does come back at the end.

I don't know about the bolt, it was kind of inconsistent. It flew more like a River that if I threw on a hyzer it would pop-up to straight, which was awesome, but then if thrown hard and flat would go straight then start turning over and didn't come back. I didn't get a chance to throw huge sweeping annys with it, but it just fit the bill for what I've been looking for, or it may just piss me off.

The Z-Wasp I've been throwing is really flat, nice and overstable, almost a little too much, but will do really well or skips. The Buzzz is way more overstable than I was wanting. In fact I'm testing it out against a Champ Roc+, and right now their really close. The Roc+ has a huge dome and floats really well, but the Buzzz has better straight line D.

The Rattler has been nice, but when I started throwing it side by side against the new Ace Race disc it flew very similar, only difference was the rattler sat down a little better.

The Destroyer is still a little beefy, but hopefully after a few hard landing it will be just right.

So done testing for now, here's the line up

Distance Drivers

Star Destroyers, 166g- Looong Hyzers, hard comeback S
Star Archon, 172g- Long straight driver, turnovers that still come back
Proline Orc, 175g- Control distance driver
Sp Tsunami, 175g- OS distance needs

Fairway Drivers

11x KC Pro Gazelle, 163g- Longer S and hyzers, needs more room to work than the 173g, but goes farther
GL River, 179g- Easy Hyzers, long annies that bail just before the point of no return.

Mid-Range

GL Fuse, 175g- Understable duties, hyzer-flips, Long gentle hyzers
Champ Roc +, 175g- Hyzers, straight with easy fade
Z Wasp, 170g- Workable overstable duties
Putters

Proline Titanic, 173g- Putting duties

Lost the Roc+, kind of upset b/c it was really come along nicely, but I'll just go back to the Buzzz no big whoop.

Also the Star Destroyer (Destrulcan) has become super flippy really quickly, more so than the Archon. So I'm wondering if I get a regular Destroyer is it going to be significatantly more stable than the Destrulcan, and if so what weight? I know that people say the lighter ones are super overstable, so I just want one that I can throw on a long S and have it come back reliably without being too crazy.

I'm falling out of love with Magnet/Titanic, so I may go back to the Voodoo, we'll see.

I like how the Archon and Orc pair up, as far as stable-understable to stable-overstable. If anyone has a good compliment to the Destroyer I would love to hear it. I've tried nukes and lost interest in them. I have smaller hands so would perfer a disc with a slightly smaller rim. Thanks again for any help.

Distance Drivers

Star Destroyers, 166g- Looong Hyzers, Annys, Hyzer-flips
Star Archon, 172g- Long straight driver, turnovers that still come back

Fairway Drivers

GL Trident, 173g-Utility disc, Spikes, overhead, skips (May have to replace with an Opto b/c it's not beefy enough, I know it sounds weird right, but it can be thrown on an S, and I want more a straigt to left)
11x KC Pro Gazelle, 163g- Longer S and hyzers, needs more room to work than the 173g, but goes farther
GL River, 179g- Easy Hyzers, long annies that bail just before the point of no return.

Mid-Range

Z Buzzz, 176g- Hyzers, straight with easy fade
Putters

Red=Gone
Blue=Newly added
Green=Unsure of
Distance Drivers

Star Destroyers, 166g- Looong Hyzers, Annys, Hyzer-flipsStar Archon, 172g- Long straight driver, turnovers that still come back

Fairway Drivers

GL Trident, 173g-Utility disc, Spikes, overhead, skips (May have to replace with an Opto b/c it's not beefy enough, I know it sounds weird right, but it can be thrown on an S, and I want more a straigt to left)
Opto Trident, 172g- Poppy top, Utility, Spikes mainly, some OH
Opto River, 171g- Straight with a little left to right play and gentle finish

Mid-Range

Z Buzzz, 176g- Hyzers, straight with easy fade
ESP Zone, 172g- FH saves, short spikes, trouble shots

Putters

OG Voodoo, 174g- Main putter
SSS Voodoo, 175g- Approaches and backup

So after quite a few rounds the GL Trident just wasn't beefy enough. I needed something that would make a left hand turn, not a hard hyzer. After finding myself 60' further up than where I wanted to be today, for the 4th time in as many weeks:wall: I made the switch. The GL honestly cover too much of the same area my 174g Gazelle covered.

The light Gazelle was replaced with an Opto River. I just kept expecting that Gazelle to have more fade than it really did. I know the Rivers better so now I have an overstable, stable, and understable River, so hoping for a little more consistency in my shot selection.

Swapped out the 168g Zone for the 172g simply b/c the 168g was going too far on one hole.

Dropped the Rattler and Magnet and went back to the Voodoos. I remember why I love them so much, I hit great lines with them and sink longer putts than I did with the magnets.:thmbup: Also remember why I dropped them, b/c they drop quickly and I hit the bottom of the basket.:thmbdown:

Not sold on the 165g Tsunami as a truly OS distance driver, but really like the disc overall and use it alot.

Not sold on the 166g Destrulcan either, it has a tendency to get alittle squirrelly in the HSS part. Gets amazing D when I throw it on a gentle hyzer, but anything other than that and it turns and burns.:| Plus I still haven't found that nice Stable-Overstable distance driver. I have a sword on the way and hope it's what I'm after.

Got a Tourney next week so hopefully I'm all set to jet.

Distance Drivers
-VIP Sword, 169g, Long shots, flex shots, long hyzers
-Proline Orc, 175g, Control Distance Shots
-Star Archon, 172g, Annys and long flex shots
-SP Tsunami, 165g, Straight with a predictable fade

Fairway Drivers
-Opto Trident, 172g, OS Utility
-KC Pro Gazelle, 174g, workable with a hard fade
-Star Gazelle, 172g, workable less pronounced fade.
-GL River, 179g, straight
-Opto River, 172g, annys and hyzer-flips

Mids
-GL Fuse, 176g, annys and hyzer-flips
-Z Buzzz, 173g, straight with easy fade, hyzers, annys that bail out
-Z Wasp, 174g, straight to hard fade, hard hyzer, power S
-ESP Zone, 172g, OS utility disc, get out of trouble, flicks

Putters
-OG Voodoo, 174g, Main putter
-SS Voodoo, 172g, approach disc, driving putter.

Still haven't found a really Stable Max D driver that I can really crank on and ensure that it will come back. The Sword is pretty close so maybe I'll try a heavy one.

Remember that the Rivers have a little more left to right at the beginning of their flight after I took a quadruple circle 10 in my tourney.:wall::thmbdown::mad::gross: Dropped me from 1st to 4th in one hole, so the Gazelle has made it back. Mother Truckin' OBs. Other than that I'm liking the set up.

Distance Drivers
-VIP Sword, 169g, long Hyzers, max D shots with lots of room.
-Pearly Champ Orc, 174g, overstable Orc, tight hyzers, hard fade
-SB Orc, 174g, control straight driver
-Champ Orc, 167g, long annys, hyzer-flips
-Z Predator, 173g, OS, headwinds

Fairway Drivers
-Opto Trident, 172g, OS Utility
-KC Pro Gazelle, 174g, workable with a hard fade
-Champ Glo Gazelle, 172g, workable less pronounced fade.

Mids

Putters
-OG Voodoo, 174g, Main putter
-Soft X Challenger, 174g, Driving putter and long putts

A few changes. Added a bunch of Orcs back into the back and just gave up on the extra 20-40' until spring, it was just screwing up my form. Started to use a Soft X Challenger for drives and really like it. I may add another Orc into the mix for some super hyzer-flips, since it is a 161g Proline.

So just a quick question, I'm debating pulling the Buzzz in favor of a super heavy Fuse. Is there going to be anything that I really am going to need the Buzzz for that the Wasp and the two Fuse won't cover?

So just a quick question, I'm debating pulling the Buzzz in favor of a super heavy Fuse. Is there going to be anything that I really am going to need the Buzzz for that the Wasp and the two Fuse won't cover?

i guess a heavy opto fuse will be close to a buzz for a while til it gets seasoned. i would carry both and throw the fuse on a second shot every time you throw the buzz and see what the results are. but the buzz seems like a staple in your bag. mold minimalization is good but is not always the best choice.

The thing with the Buzzz is that I have carried one with me for couple of years now, but rarely ever throw it. It seems to stay in the bag but never gets pulled out. Not sure why but I just find that I end up reaching for the other discs. Maybe I need to re-evaluate my Buzzz usage.

So changed some things up again, here's the current line up.

Distance Drivers
-SDS Destroyer, 166g, Crazy overstable, long hyzers, and flare spikes
-S-PD, 170g, Controlled Overstable duties and controlled Flex shots

Fairway Drivers
-GL Trident, 172g, OS Utility
-Champ Eagle-X, 175g, workable with a hard fade, able to push this farther than the Gazelle while still maintaining significant control

Mids
-GL Fuse, 181g, Straight, straight to slight turnover

Putters
-Soft X Challenger, 174g, Main putter

Hoping to add a Star Eagle-X and a heavier PD. I'm hoping that the Star Eagle-X will beat into a longer Gazelle, while the Champ will stay overstable.

I forgot how much I liked the PD and how much it was not like the Pred or Tsunami. I'd like to add the heavier PD for pure headwind and hard hyzer duties, the 170g I have feels like it will break in pretty fast, so I'm trying to decide if I buy a max weight S-PD or a C-PD.

I may also buy a heavier Sword, the one I have gives me crazy max d, but needs a $h!t load or room to work.

Also been thinking about trying out an OLF, but not sure if it's going to overlap too much between the Orc and PD.

As always thoughts are highly encouraged.

Distance Drivers
-SDS Destroyer, 166g, Crazy overstable, long hyzers, and flare spikesNot sure if the Destroyer is going to make it. The more I throw the Sword and PD the more I realize I don't need the Destroyer.
-S-PD, 170g, Controlled Overstable duties and controlled Flex shots

Fairway Drivers
-GL Trident, 172g, OS Utility- I actually took out the trident as I found that the Champ Eagle X was covering most of the shots I needed the Trident for. There are still a couple of courses where I'll bring it out, sad day
-Champ Eagle-X, 175g, workable with a hard fade, able to push this farther than the Gazelle while still maintaining significant control
-Star Eagle-X, 172g-This a longer Gazelle, what took me so long to figure this out. The Gazelle may be on the ropes.

Mids
-GL Fuse, 181g, Straight, straight to slight turnover-I found the buzzz really does a better job of covering this shot.

Putters
-Soft X Challenger, 174g, Main putter-Wasn't really digging the Challenger as a main putter, but really like it to drive with
-Z Magnet, 169g, main putter-Went back to the Z Magnet, just really love it. Got a new that has turned into a great upshot disc as well

So I'm loving me some Eagles, I feel like a band-wagon hopper, but hey at least they aren't teebirds.;)

The PD is sweet, I can't remember why I didn't replace it before.

I've been testing out a XG Roc + and this thing is not even close to as stable as my Wasp, more along the lines of the Buzzz, but so far the Buzzz is kickin' ass. I like the feel of the roc but it seems to need more space than the buzzz does to do the same shot.

I got a QOLF to test, but I don't think it will make it, b/c the Orcs are lifers and the PD is rocking right now, but we'll see.

Thank goodness for innova's inconsistancies, b/c i just happened to be testing a glow orc I just picked up, and wow is it crazy beefy. This is very exciting b/c I've been looking for that big fade distance driver, and now I don't have to add a mold to my bag.

Now if I could only putt.

All right I don't know what I've done recently but game is seriously screwed up. My mids and fairways, which use to be my strongest point, are just not cutting it unles their being thrown on hyzers or annys. Any kind of straight or flex shots are all over the place. The weird thing is the Distance drivers are doing very nicely. I've been getting a lot of nose up on the discs, but I account that to working on trying get full rotation out of my hips. The worse part is my putting as gone from ok at best, to now, down right $#!@y, #$@!ing garbage. I can't get anything to go in, and I'm getting frustrated. Got beat today by someone I should beat every time out, while still have a chance to beat a 990 rated player. (Yeah he was really off today too.)

I don't think it's so much to do with the discs, but I'm tempted to disc down again. I just really hate to do it since the Distance drivers are the only thing I can throw well currently. I know if my schedule were better and I had more time to practice I could fix the problem, but currently that is not an option.

Please help before I kill the disc golf gods!