• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jdw80550 Bag thread

I can almost guarantee you that a beat ESP Zone would beat out your Wasp easily. :|

Interesting thought BroD, and if I ever find an ESP Zone that's truly beat I might try it. Haha

On another Wasp note, I got a Ti Wasp and its definately less stable than the Z Wasp. I'm thinking about replacing the Glow FLX Buzzz with the Ti Wasp. Any reason to keep both?

Also, I got a hold of some of the RFF Wizards and they feel really good, but I've been putting pretty well with the Omega SS. Any reason to switch? Only thing I can think of is that I could replace the Omega and KC Aviar with it, but I don't have a ton of approach experience with the Wizards so I'm not sure.

Max Distance
VIP Sword, 169g- Tailwinds, annys, hyzer-flips, long S curves
Tourney Sword, 172g- Hyzer-flips

Controlled Distance
Champ Orc, 172g- Hard Hyzers, skips, headwinds (very beefy)
Champ Glow Orc, 172g- distance hyzers, straight with fade, controlled S Curves
SB Orc, 172g- Hyzers and straight

Fairways
GL Trident, 173g- Spikes, skips, utility
Champ Glo Gazelle, 175g- Long flex shots, Controlled Hyzers
Champ Glo Gazelle, 172g- Line shaper, straight with gentle fade, slow hyzers
Champ Glo Gazelle, 172- slightly understable, controlled annys, hyzer-flips
Opto River, 173g- Hyzer flips and big annys, tailwinds

Mids
GL Fuse, 176g- Understable duties, annys, hyzer flips that turn over
Z Buzzz, 175g- Straight, big left to right, gentle hyzers
Ti Wasp, 174g- Straight with fade, S curves, longest mid in the bag.
Z Wasp, 176g- Beefy, hard hyzers, straight with hard fade, fast flex shots, skips
Z Zone, 175g- Utility, spikes, OH, real short hyzers

Putters
Omega SS, 175g- Back Up
Omega SS, 175g- Main Putter

I played in an A Tier this weekend and took 11th with this set up, and I was really throwing well. Especially the Orcs and Swords. I actually out drove Philo Bathwraite:thmbup:. (Now he was already like 40 strokes ahead of me and like 8 strokes ahead of second and was just laying up, but hey gotta take it while you can.)

I was throwing the Omegas, Zone, Buzzz, and Ti Wasp well also. The only spot that was giving me trouble was the slightly understable control driver slot. So I'm going to test out the Sidewinder and Valk, to see which will make the bag.

I have enjoyed the one disc in three different stages with the Gazelle and Orc. This was an easy way to good choices.

So after testing out for a week the Valk is now in the bag. I'm a little upset with this b/c for the longest time I didn't want to throw a Valk b/c that what everybody was throwing. Well I guess there is a reason everyone is throwing it. Time to suck up my pride and stubborness and just deal with throwing better. :)

I think there is a good bit of overlap between the Valk and River, and the Valk and Orc. My 2 beat champ Orcs fly basically the same lines as lightly seasoned Valks.

Not sure how flippy your River is, but they also share many flight characteristics with Valks/Sidewinders, and have basically the same distance potential.

The River has become very beat, to the point where I only use it for annys anymore. I've been debating taking the it out, but it's been in the bag so long I'm resistent to change it.

I have so many Orcs that continually cycle them through, so that even my most seasoned Orc with still fade out when thrown with full power. The Valk I have found will stay straight or just barely come out of an anny unlike the Orc. I actually chose the Valk over the Sidewinder because could release and throw it most similar to my Orcs, I was finding I had to change my throw to get the Sidewinder to do what I wanted.

Max Distance
VIP Sword, 169g- Tailwinds, annys, hyzer-flips, long S curves
Tourney Sword, 172g- Hyzer-flips

Controlled Distance
Champ Orc, 172g- Hard Hyzers, skips, headwinds (very beefy)
Star Valk, 175g- Straight and turnovers

Fairways
GL Trident, 173g- Spikes, skips, utility
Champ Glo Gazelle, 172- slightly understable, controlled annys, hyzer-flips

Mids
Opto Pure, 176g- Driving Putter, shorter buzzz
Opto Fuse, 169g- Understable duties, annys, hyzer flips that turn over
Z Buzzz, 175g- Straight, big left to right, gentle hyzers
Z Wasp, 176g- Beefy, hard hyzers, straight with hard fade, fast flex shots, skips

Putters
Omega SS, 175g- Back Up

Only a few slight changes.

Added an Opto Pure, it fits the driving putter role that I've been looking to find.

Added an Opto Fuse that is significantly lighter than the mids I currently throw. The GL that I replaced with another GL was just too stable and needs some work that I don't want to put in, so I got the really light Opto.

Added the Star Valk. Great for straight with no or little fade, turnovers, and powers down well.

Suprised at how much I like the 3 Gazelle Fairway system. I thought I would really miss my River, but, unfortunetly, I don't so I'm not going to carry it. For the first time in a long time I feel really content with the bag.

what would you compare the Sword to? they sound pretty interesting but i havent really messed around with any of their molds.. but yeah bag looks really solid i dont really see anything you would be missing

The Sword for me it like a longer Orc or a Wraith/Surge with more HSS but the same fade. Others have called it a beat Destroyer. It's very workable and easy to throw. Where the Orc gets it's D from speed, the Sword gets it's D from glide and movement.

Max Distance
VIP Sword, 172g- Straight, hyzers, S curves
Tourney Sword, 172g- Tailwinds, annys, Hyzer-flips, Turnovers

Controlled Distance
Champ Orc, 175g- Straight and turnovers

Fairways
Z Pred, 173g- Spikes, skips, utility
Champ Glo Gazelle, 172- slightly understable, controlled annys, hyzer-flips, FH rollers

Mids
Z Comet, 174g- Undstable duties, hyzer-flips, floaty shots

Putters
KC Pro Aviar, 175g- Driving
Omega AP, 175g- Up shots, Back Up

So a few changes.

Mids-
I switched over to the Z Comet instead of the fuse, and haven't missed the fuse. The Comet is great for annys and straight shots, but holds the hyzer better than the fuse did. This was important because I dropped the buzzz. The Ti Wasp is just doing too much. It is a slight more stable buzzz, so between the Comet and Wasps no need for the fuse or buzzz

Drivers-
I drop the Valk for an Orc, no real reason expect it just keeps me at one mold instead of two. Dropped the beefy Orc, because it just never felt right. Put in a Pred and that was nice because then I was able to drop the Trident. I found I just wasn't using the trident enough to justify keeping it. Added a fresh VIP Sword, because the other VIP was just too flippy and doing almost the same thing as the Tourney one. Finally figured out how to really throw a FH roller, and my beat Gazelle is doing some amazing things I would have never tried before.

Putters-
Dropped one of the Omega SS in favor of the AP because its a little beit easier to approach with than just the SS. The big issue was the Pure. I love it, but between the Comet great short hyzers and short annys, and the AP, it just was eating up room. I still use it when I play with the small bag of 6 discs because it can cover the other slots ok. Added the KC Pro Avair, but not really sure I need it either.

I have a tourney next weekend, so I'm hoping that this setup will do me well. I've been throwing well and adding a lot of new utility shots that I know can control (FH rollers, Tomahawk, hyzer-flip turnovers) instead of just hoping and praying.

Thought for giggles I'd post my small bag, this is the just for fun or right after work bag. Camelbak Mule for the hydration needs.

ESP Surge, 165g- Max D
Z Force, 167g- OS Driver
ESP Cyclone, 175g- Fairway
Z Buzzz, 167g- Straight and Annys
Champ Roc+, 175g- Slightly Overstable
Opto Pure, 176g- Putter

By the way this also my daughters bag, so all discs are pink and have My Little Ponies on them. Yeah I can rock pretty pink ponies. :)

So it's been a while since I update the bag, and since I have Colorado State this weekend I thought what better time. A few changes.

Max Distance
VIP Sword, 172g- Straight, hyzers, S curves
VIP Sword, 169g- Tailwinds, annys, Hyzer-flips, Turnovers

Controlled Distance

Fairways
Z Pred, 173g- Spikes, skips, utility
ESP Pred, 170g- Straight with a predictible fade, sweeping hyzers
Opto River, 173g- Annys or Tailwind

Mids
Z Comet, 174g- Undstable duties, hyzer-flips, floaty shots
X Wasp, 174g- Straight but has enough resistance HSS to not flip

Putters
KC Pro Aviar, 168g- Driving
KC Pro Aviar, 170g- Putting

KC Pro Aviar, 175g- Backup

The discs in blue are ones that I added. I put the VIP Sword and Opto River back in because I lost my TP Sword:( and my roller Gazelle:/.

Added the ESP Predator and love the gap it covers between the meathook Z and the Champ Glo Gazelle.

Love the the three Wasp and Comet set. Very similar rims, and now I don't feel like I need the buzzz. The Buzzz and I never really clicked. It just wasn't amazing.

Changed up my putting a little and the KC Aviar are flying better than the Omegas, but it's more a mental thing rather than a putter reason.

So it's getting chilly out and I don't like trying to throw fast drivers in the cold, so I've decided to disc down for the winter and work on form. Trying some new discs because the Champ Glow Gazelles disappear in snow. :thmbdown:

Drivers:
Z-Pred, 175g- Super Flat utility
Opto Saint, 176g- straight with hard fade
ESP Cyclone, 175g- line shaper (stable)
ESP Cyclone, 173g- line shaper (less stable)

Mids:
Z-Comet, 173g- Annys, hyzer-flips, floaty hyzers
X-Wasp, 174g- Straight, stand-up annys
Ti Wasp, 175g- Line Shaper, FH Roller
Z-Wasp, 177g-Beefy, Hyzers, skips
Z-Zone, 172g- Untility

Putters:
Champ Glow Aviar, 175g- Driver and approaches
Omega SS, 175g- Putter
KC Pro Aviar, 172g- holding, annys, back-up

Yeah I can, but the new ones I have, they have these beautiful rainbow stamps. It would be a crime against disc golf to alter them. That's what I've done with them in the past, but I'm too the point where I need to replace one, and I lost one. They'll come back out in the spring, I perfer the smaller diameter.

Just wanted to say I've really enjoyed watching the evolution of your bag. You make smart decisions that ultimately make your bag better for you. Keep it up man.

Just wanted to say I've really enjoyed watching the evolution of your bag. You make smart decisions that ultimately make your bag better for you. Keep it up man.

Wow! You have an awesome bag! Great job.

Thank you very much! This has been as much a record to keep track of stupid mistakes as much as it's been to help me improve.:doh:

By using these forums I have really been able to help find my throwing style and discs that fit me best. I love the feedback positive or negative because it's all about trying to get better.

On your September bag: any reason you went with a heavier Opto River for your anny shots? I've always understood that it was the lighter GLs that you want for those shots, with the heavier Optos being more overstable.

On your October bag: what do you have covering anny shots for your fairways, the lighter ESP Cyclone? How's that working? I assume there are some differences in wear between the two Cyclones?

Just curious, as I'm still trying to fill my anny driver slot in my own bag...

Latest posts