• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jdw80550 Bag thread

Thanks for the questions.

The heavy River was because I had carried it for so long that it had lost most of its stability, and honestly I really didn't want to buy a GL. I sort of fell out love with the River. I was finding that I only liked using it on annys and there just wasn't enough reason to keep it around.

I have actually been using the Comet and beat X Wasp for most of my pure anny shots. The Cyclones bail out too early for me to really consider them an anny disc. This is what I've used in the past, but I've never really found one that like for long distance annys:

Beat Champ Orc- perfect but it takes forever to get a replacement
Beat Star Valk- same issue as the Orc
Sidewinder- great HSS turn, but bailed out too early
Avenger SS- too flippy
Roadrunner- too flippy
x and z xpress- not enough distance
GL and Opto River- Probably the most consistant, but if you didn't get the anny line right, it would hook up and hyzer out too easily
GL Vison- too flippy
Champ Beast- too straight
P-PD- same issues as the River, but not as durable
C-TD- same issues as the sidewinder
Super light ESP Surge- got squirrely when put on low anny lines

My favorite, but still not perfect:
Light weight Tourney Sword- had enough stability to not turn and burn and enough glide to get going

Second favorite:
Blizzard Krait- similar to the Sword, but easier to replace

Good luck on search, and let me know what you end up going with.

Last edited:
So I got bored and decided to post the two bags that I've been using so far this winter. I got all kinds of excited and color coordinated them. These are not neccisarily the best bag set ups, but it was the closest I could do with the colors availible. BTW sorry, yellow sucks to read.

Big Bag
Drivers:
Champ Krait, 170g- Distance Driver
Star Valk, 175g- Stable Control Driver
ESP Pred, 168g- Over Stable Control Driver

ESP Cyclone, 175g,- Fairway Driver

Mids:
Z Comet, 174g- Understable Duties
X Wasp, 175g- beat
X Wasp, 176g- Fresh
Ti Wasp, 175g- Same as Fresh X, but much shorter
Z Wasp, 177g- Over Stable

ESP Zone, 172g- Short Overstable

Putters:
Omega SS, 175g- Putter
KC Aviar, 175g- Long hyzer putts

Small Bag
Drivers:
Z Pred, 175g- OS Driver
Star Eagle-X, 175g- Straight to Fade Driver
GL Saint, 168g- Understable to Fade Driver

Mids:
Z Comet, 173g- Understable
Ti Wasp, 173g- Slightly Understable, roller
X Wasp, 176g- Work Horse
Z Wasp, 177g- OS

Putter:
Omega SS, 175g- Putter
RFF Wizard, 175g- Long hyzer Putts

So it's been about a month, and I haven't been playing as much I as I would hope to have been. I got tired of the color coded bags, because some of the discs I used in each bag went better together, so here's the bag for at least the next month.

Distance Drivers
S-PD, 169g- Hard fade, wind fighter, FH (I've gone back and forth on PDs before, and now I'm back, it has more fade than the Orc)
Star Orc, 168g- Main Distance driver, straight with decent fade
Blizzard Krait, 158g- Tailwinds, annys

Control Drivers (I put control not fairway bc these are flying longer than I have thrown fairway driver in the past, yea!)
GL Trident, 175g- Skips, spikes, utilities
ESP Cyclone, 175g- Straight with fade
ESP Cyclone, 170g- Line Shaper, decent comeback
GL Saint- 171g- Same as the 170g Cyclone, but more HSS turn
GL Saint- 171g- Hyzer-flips, annys

Mids
Z Comet, 174g- hyzer-flips, big annys
X Wasp, 175g- straight with slight fade, long stand up annys
X Wasp, 176g- Hyzers, S-Curves, Straight with hard fade
Ti Wasp, 177g- Hyzers, S-Curves, straight with hard fade(same thing as X Wasp, but shorter)
Z Wasp, 178g- Hard Hyzers, skips, wind fighter, shots where I don't want any glide, FH roller

Putters
Champ Rhyno, 175g- Utility putter, wind putter
Omega SS, 175g- Main Putter

Big issues I have with this bag:
-Inconsistant Distance Drivers- PD/Orc/Krait- fills the OS, Stable, US slot, but 3 different molds
-Overlap between Cyclone and Saint at times
-Replace the Zone with the Rhyno- Rhyno not as OS, but a better wind putter- Rhyno not as long as the Zone

Thoughts please.

Seriously someone help me out. I'm at that stage where I'm stuck in my own mental process and need to bounce ideas off of someone.

A few changes. The distance stuff just wasn't getting up to speed right in the winter so instead of messing with it, it's gone.

Fixed the cyclone/saint problem. Saints are in the big bag cyclones are in the little bag. Honestly the Pred and beefy Saint cover all the Cyclone shots and then some.

The beat X Wasp I wanted to anny too much, and I've been torqueing it much. This is a me problem not a disc problem.

Added a clutch bc I put a sweet dye on it and I need to show it off.

Distance Drivers-GONE
S-PD, 169g- Hard fade, wind fighter, FH (I've gone back and forth on PDs before, and now I'm back, it has more fade than the Orc)

Control Drivers (I put control not fairway bc these are flying longer than I have thrown fairway driver in the past, yea!)
ESP Cyclone, 170g- Line Shaper, decent comeback-Gone

ESP Predator- 168g- Not a real pred, hard fade, but bends like the saints do
GL Saint- 171g- Straight with fade
GL Saint- 171g- Hyzer-flips, line shaper
Opto River- 173g- Annys

Mids
Ti Wasp, 177g- Hyzers, S-Curves, straight with hard fade(same thing as X Wasp, but shorter)
Z Wasp, 178g- Hard Hyzers, skips, wind fighter, shots where I don't want any glide, FH roller

Putters
2x Omega SS, 175g- Main Putter
Icon Clutch, 174g- approaches and short annys (in reality it just looks bad ass)

Last edited:
A few changes. The distance stuff just wasn't getting up to speed right in the winter so instead of messing with it, it's gone.

Fixed the cyclone/saint problem. Saints are in the big bag cyclones are in the little bag. Honestly the Pred and beefy Saint cover all the Cyclone shots and then some.

The beat X Wasp I wanted to anny too much, and I've been torqueing it much. This is a me problem not a disc problem.

Added a clutch bc I put a sweet dye on it and I need to show it off.

Distance Drivers-GONE

ESP Cyclone, 170g- Line Shaper, decent comeback-Gone

ESP Predator- 168g- Not a real pred, hard fade, but bends like the saints do
GL Saint- 171g- Straight with fade
GL Saint- 171g- Hyzer-flips, line shaper
Opto River- 173g- Annys

Mids

Putters
2x Omega SS, 175g- Main Putter
Icon Clutch, 174g- approaches and short annys (in reality it just looks bad ass)

I see you don't use your Gazelles anymore. Also, we throw a bunch of the same discs.

I gots a question for you since we throw similar bags. Is the PD any better than the surge? I can cover the shots with the surge, just curious how the PD stacks up since you've thrown both!

I still have a bunch of gazelles that I throw in the summer, but their all champ glows and very hard to find in the snow during the winter. I like them as a truer fairway driver. The cyclones, saints,and preds can be used as a fairway driver, but they're definitely much faster, so they're a little more difficult to power down.

PD vs the Surge
To start the PD is like a speed "9.75" while the Surge is a slow 11. This alone gives the Surge more distance potential. I like both discs a lot but for different things. For a control driver I would go with the pd, for max distance driver I'd use the surge.

PD
-P-PD like to be thrown on a hyzer-flip
-C-pd can be thrown flat and hard with a big fade, thrown as a wind fighter
-S-pd can be thrown flat or hyzer, good distance and beats in well

IMO the PD is very similar to the Orc. There is a little less high speed turn and a little more fade. I like the s-pd the best. I really didn't like the c-pd, it felt like a different disc. This is one of the reasons that people really like the pd, each plastic gives you a separate control disc. P for understable, C for wind fighter overstable, and S for main driver.

Surge
The surge was much more a max distance driver that in order to accomplish different lines you needed to change weights more than plastics. The disc flies very similar in the Z and ESP plastics. (I don't throw base line plastic) therefore in order to get a wind fighter you would look at a 175g, a main driver 169g, and understable 163g. There surge can be thrown flat or hyzer and do pretty well, but with all distance drivers the accuracy is definitely not the same. I like the ESP surges best. They beat in a little quicker and had a little better glide.

I could see both in a bag:

Control
P-PD, understable
S-PD, stable
C-PD, overstable

Distance driver
ESP surge, <166g understable
ESP surge, ~169g main driver
Z surge, 175g overstable

Hope that helps.

So the Saint has made me rethink my bag, in a good way!

A little info about my throwing style. Up until about 2 1/2 weeks ago I was primarily a hyzer/anhyzer thrower and for max distance shots big S curves.

I've always had really good distance for my division and my size, but lacked a significant amount of control.

I had purchased the Saint an had been on the fence about liking it. When I annyed it, it was fantastic. However when I tried to flex it, I end up turning it over too much.

I've never been very good at hyzer-flipping I couldn't figure out why, until I started throwing the Saint. I realized that I had too much hyzer on the disc and just need to throw a simple hyzer line not a huge max hyzer line. (I know it sounds like a no brain, but it took me a lot of time)

Anyway, I start throwing more of my discs like this and ended up breaking my bag into two seperate sections: Hyzer-Flip/Any discs and Hard Hyzer/S-Curve discs.

Hyzer-Flip/Anny (Stable to Under Stable)
Drivers:
171g, GL Saint- Flip to straight and fade
171g, GL Saint- Flip to tun and fade
173g, Opto River- Annys only

Mids:
175g, X Wasp- Flip to straight and fade
173g, Z Comet- Flip to turn and fade

Putter:
171g, Omega SS- Flip to turn and fade

Hard Hyzer/S Curves(Overstable to Stable)
Drivers:
174g, GL Trident- Spikes
172g, Champ Glow Orc- Distance S Curves, Long hyzers, FH disc
172g, Pinnacle Rival- Tight S, Main Hyzer Disc, Wind Fighter

Mids:
175g, Ti Wasp- Hyzers, S shots, bailout annys
178g, Z Wasp- Hyzers, Wind disc

Putter:
174g, Champ Rhyno- Hyzer approaches

I know it seems weird, but I needed to get it down in writing to make sure I didn't forget.

Anyway, I start throwing more of my discs like this and ended up breaking my bag into two seperate sections: Hyzer-Flip/Any discs and Hard Hyzer/S-Curve discs.

I know it seems weird, but I needed to get it down in writing to make sure I didn't forget.

Doesn't seem weird, and a good way to build a bag. It's kinda like this post of BroD in my bag thread. With your discs far enough apart at each slot of your bag (drivers/mids/etc), you'll be able to cover most lines and landing areas.

^^^ That is almost exactly what I was finding. I just hadn't found a good neutral driver for that straight to slightly understable spot. I have always struggled with a good understable disc, but now I think I was struggling more with how to properly throw an understable disc.

I think that's an insanely common phenomenon. For me, learning how to deal with under stability came from throwing stable OLFs that slowly beat into flippy. This allowed me to really follow the progression of stability and learn the correct amount of hyzer in order to get certain lines taken care of.

Dude I'm loving your bag right now. Look back to your first post in this thread and compare. I think you've done a great job locking it in.

^^^^thanks for the support. This has been the reason that I really wanted to start this thread, so I could see the progression and pitfalls I fall into. I'm kind of a plastic junkie and I was hoping a thread like this would help me stay a little more consistent on the types of discs I throw.

So just a few up dates:

Distance Drivers:
Champ Glow Orc, 172g- S shots, Long tight hyzers, wind fighter
VIP Sword, 170g- Hyzer-Flips, Annys, Sweeping Hyzers

Contol Drivers:
Lucid Escape, 174g- Just trying this out, hoping it will be the overstable compliment to my Saints
GL Saint, 174g- Most Stable Saint
GL Saint, 171g- Main Driver, Hyzers, straight with slight fade
GL Saint, 171g- Flippy, Hyzer-Flips, annys, turnovers

Fairways:
GL Trident, 174g- Utility
Pinnacle Rival, 174g- Overstable Fairway Driver
Star Eagle-X, 175g- Stable, line shaper
RGL River, 174g- straight to turnover to anny (not sure if it will stay in the bag, the flippy Saint does almost the same thing)

Mids:
Z Comet, 174g- Understable duties
Ti Wasp, 173g- Straight with slight fade, FH Rollers, stand up annys
Ti Wasp, 175g- Hyzers
Z Wasp, 177+g, Wind fighter

Putters:
Champ Rhyno, 174g- Utility, hyzer approaches
Classic Soft Judge, 175g- Hopefully will be the new driving and approach putter, like how shallow the rim is
Omega SS, 174g- Main Putter

So I'm trying out the Judge, Escape, RGL River.

I don't know about the River. There are only a couple of shots this does better than the saint and I'm having a hard time justifying having both in the bag.

I've only thrown the Escape twice, but both time they were really straight and faded well. It's a little more resistant to HSS, so I'm hoping it will be my new overstable control driver.

The judge just feels so damn good. I'm really hoping it works out.

So I just got my new Mahal and I've added some discs just because I can and I've cleaned up the bag a little.

Distance Drivers:
Champ Orc, 176g- Crazy OS, not really big on and will probably replace it with a Pred or Firebird
SB Orc, 174g- Flies further than the Champ Glow, but I only throw it on holes where I won't lose it.

Contol Drivers:
Lucid Escape, 174g- Stable, Hyzers, straight with nice fade, more HSS resistant than the Saint
GL Saint, 171g- Straight with slight fade, Hyzer-flips that drift back
GL Saint, 171g- Flippy, Hyzer-Flips, annys, turnovers

Fairways:
GL Trident, 174g- Utility
Star Eagle-X, 175g- Over Stable Eagle
Star Eagle-X, 175g- Stable, line shaper

Mids:
ESP Comet, 175g- Straight, working on beating it in
X Wasp, 175g- Main Wasp
Z Wasp, 177+g, Wind fighter

Putters:
Champ Glow BB Aviar, 174g- Driving Putter, Hyzer approaches
Classic Soft Judge, 175g- Main Putter, most upshots, Anny Drives

I'm still not throwing the Distance Driver all that much, but it is nice to be able to put them in the bag now and not feel bad about them taking up extra space.

Last edited:
SB Orc, 174g- Flies further than the Champ Glow, but I only throw it on holes where I won't lose it
It flys extra far bc it came from me...:) (jk)

So I'm made some changes to the bag recently. I was finally able to dial in the Escapes and now they can replace the Eagles. I still like the Eagles because they can take more power, like the Orcs, but the Escape fits the clean release closer to the Saint, Sword and Comet.

It's really helped me to cut out some extra molds and focus in on my form a little more. I have also found that the Escape and Saint power down well, so that way they can cover some shorter distances. The Wasps can handle quite a bit of power so between the two sets I really don't need a true Fairway lineup.

I switched back to the Omega for my main putter, because it just feels better. More of mental thing, but sometimes you need mental things.

Distance Drivers:
Champ Orc, 176g- Crazy OS, Finally figured this out and it will stay in the bag
SB Orc, 174g- Flies further than the Champ Glow, but I only throw it on holes where I won't lose it.

Contol Drivers:
GL Trident, 175g- OS Duties, Utility
Lucid Escape, 175g- OS Escape, almost 0 HSS
Lucid Escape, 174g- Stable, Hyzers, straight with nice fade, more HSS resistant than the Saint
GL Saint, 171g- Straight with slight fade, Hyzer-flips that drift back
Opto River- Flippy, Hyzer-Flips, annys, turnovers

Mids:
ESP Comet, 175g- Straight, working on beating it in
X Wasp, 175g- Main Wasp
Ti Wasp, 177g- Heavy Wasp
FLX Drone, 178g- Wind Fighter, Spike Hyzers

Putters:
Classic Soft Judge, 175g- Driving Putter
Omega SS, 174g- Main Putter, Annys

So we had a snow day and I was bored, so I thought I would post the bag and some pics.

Distance Driver
Champ Glow Orc, 172g- OS (Captain America)
SB Orc, 174g- Main
Champ Orc, 167g- Tailwinds (tribal demon)

Control Driver
Opto Trident, 175g- OS Utility (Green Goblin)
Lucid Escape, 174g- OS Control (V for Vendetta)
Lucid Escape, 173g- Main (300 Leonidas)
GL Saint, 171g- Straight little fade, but won't flip (color shift)
GL Saint, 171g- Tailwinds, turnovers (Cherry Blossom Sun)

Mids
Z Comet, 173g- US (Mason Compass)
ESP Comet, 175g- Straight (hanging tree)
Ti Wasp, 174g- FH Roller, straight slight fade (Iron Man ripped Head)
X Wasp, 175g- Main (Reflective stamp)
TI Wasp, 177g+- Headwinds (90's Iron Man Head)
ESP Zone, 173g- OS Utility (Reflective Stamp)

Putters,
Omega SS, 174g- Super Floppy, approaches (pinky)
Omega SS, 175g- main putter

There it is. Not sure if I need all the Orcs, because the Escapes cover most lines, but I like throwing them. :D

picture.php

Latest posts