• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Join me on my distance/weight loss journey.

olemiss5931

Eagle Member
Been playing for 12 years or so but coming off a 3 year break because of medical school. Looking to really nail down my form over the next year and hopefully be hitting a smooth 450 by the end of 2019.

Right now, I throw putters 270, mids 310, fairways 330, and distance drivers 370-380 with the occasional 400.

Posting two videos of the same throw.
About to start a diet/workout/yoga routine that I know will help also. I read this forum everyday and have been a part of this awesome community for awhile now. So appreciative of all the time that people put on here. Thanks y'all.

https://youtu.be/0fVYBpQVEvI

https://youtu.be/VXCViwK3mQ0

The rear view looks like you are offsetting your plant/stance to compensate for lack of turning the front side further back out of the way. Your front side appears to be turned open when you plant and plant flat footed instead of toe to heel. Ok for big right to left hyzers, but not distance shots. Any kind of distance shot needs to start out left to right.

Note how you have both heels on the ground, so you are stuck weight back flat footed and in immoveable horsestance and trying to push off the rear foot too late and pushing through the brace. Note how GG has both heels airborne in 1st frame in athletic position and narrower stance with knees more underneath the hips ready to squat a bunch of weight or make a quick sudden move. In second frame GG plants the front heel and rear heel everts forward so shin angles horizontal and rear knee swivels forward hanging underneath hip, so all weight has shifted forward.

fokEJ4T.png

In the finish note how your front knee is going past the ankle, so your front hip and all your mass is sliding forward with the throw instead of counterweighting it. Note how GG braced up the front leg to redirect his weight rotationally through the front hip and sling the arm/disc away from his center.
RBfFs5a.png

Pay attention to Riding the Bull - heels up to shift:

I was at one time extremely obese prior to disc golf. I lost over 200lbs and wanted to lose the last 20. Disc Golf helped me a little bit, but a little bit is better than watching TV like I used to all the time. I lost the last 20.....even lost more than I wanted (25). Losing the 25lbs is most likely due to my job wasn't too physical, but I was very active. That and DG plus the same sort of routine that helped me lose basically more than I weigh.

I am around 180. I gained 10lbs back after I got another job (less active), eating/drinking more as well due to the holidays. It happens every year but I will get back to where I want to be. Everyone has 2 habits when they want to lose weight. They go from one end of the spectrum (inactive, poor dieting), to becoming a gym rat eating perfect. Once you "cheat" on that hardcore diet, most people give up. It's not a fun life style for most. Working so much to feel "normal" is something some can do and love. Not for me.

The other habit is the "Tomorrow" thing. I will start my diet tomorrow. I will start my diet after the weekend, after our family trip, after the year comes to an end, etc. Tomorrow will always be tomorrow if today you don't start.

What worked and works for me is little changes. Being around Philly you have a lot of great food to choose from. Its perfectly okay to eat that cheese steak or hoagie without the guilt. Portion size is key to this. I would always order a Ch. Steak with extra cheese, bag of chips, 20oz soda. Now I will eat half a cheese steak and maybe some chips, or skip the chips and eat it all depending on if its amazing or not hehe.

I don't know if this will work for other people, but trust me I used to be so unhappy and guilty on "dieting". Keep it in moderation. Start out with a food diary if you want. If you don't see results look back and try to figure out why.

I remember many years and how much I weighed as a kid/adult.

Birth: 11.10oz
Age 7: 135
Age 11: 210 (I had passed my dads weight at age 11.)
Age 20: 428
Age 22: 365
Age 28: 230
Age 34: 168lbs, 5'9".
Now I am about 180ish and want to stay in between 170-175.

Good luck and just like DG. Stay dedicated and motivated. When you do lose your weight, don't become on of those arrogant people who think they are hot ****. I am thankful I hit rock bottom when I did. I had 4 Cosmetic Ops just for the loose skin. When I lost a ton of weight I still felt awful due to the skin sagging. I paid 23k up front from savings to get my arms, chest, neck, and tummy tuck. I would have paid 100k if I had to do it all over again.

tl;dr: I was huge.

Didn't realize this was in the technique section. Someone feel free to love this to form critique.

Ok sidewinder, been trying to feel the hips and weight shift with a rubber mallet. Probably gonna have to build my form from the ground up. Here's a video I took in the house while the weather sucks. Gonna get out tomorrow and do some one leg/standstill throws with my wizards.

https://youtu.be/3xOxW1B2fy4

I like to live on the edge and do this right in front of my TV.

Dark grainy video. I don't think you are gripping the hammer right. There should be no wrist flexion or extension with a hammer(very weak and injury prone wrist positions), only ulnar flexion and deviation like you would normally pound a nail with a hammer, but swing horizontal instead of vertical and you need to tilt your body to that swing plane. I see the hammer head pointed down at the start of your swing, hammer head should remain on the horizontal plane until you release/follow thru. So your swing plane should be more horizontal than the vids below unless you want a spike hyzer. But you should still finish upward.

Ok makes sense. I think the mallet I was using was a little too heavy. Moved to a smaller one and it seems better. Main thing I was trying to focus on was trying to to sting arm it and stay balances throughout throw. Filmed a new one and it looks more level. Sorry for so many videos just trying to make sure I'm doing the drills correctly.

https://youtu.be/5d7SmLbjjlw

Dude, you lost 200lbs?! That's amazing! I can't even imagine how much hard work and discipline that took. If you channel that same work and discipline into rebuilding your DG throw, then after a while, you'd probably be happy with the results.

Anyways, your latest video looks to me like you're a little late on your sequence. Once your lead foot plants and your rear foot starts to evert, it looks like you're already in the power zone, but I think at that point you should be right at the forward transition/top of backswing (don't swing until you're fully posted on front leg - SW). I'm sure SW or SP will come in and correct me or expand on what I'm trying to say.

Oh yeah, how'd a Philly native become a Ole Miss fan?
Who dat.

Ok makes sense. I think the mallet I was using was a little too heavy. Moved to a smaller one and it seems better. Main thing I was trying to focus on was trying to to sting arm it and stay balances throughout throw. Filmed a new one and it looks more level. Sorry for so many videos just trying to make sure I'm doing the drills correctly.

https://youtu.be/5d7SmLbjjlw
You are swinging out of control and too fast. Should be just like starting a nail with the hammer, tiny take away and tap the nail to get it started, then work to a longer and longer backswing and harder tap or pound it all the way in, but don't pound it hard unless you are fully prepared to toss it(through the TV). A fast arm is not goal here or throwing. You should be able to pound the nail with a slow arm that accelerates/slings the hammer/disc weight through the target. Your front foot is also turned too backward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KVWfUkQ3s&t=3m14s

Need to fix your hammer grip, it's like 45 degrees off, your big knuckles appear to be on the leading edge, instead your big knuckles should be more on top of the sideways handle. See SP's video below, also more discussion in thread:

Ok, tried to follow exact instructions.

https://vimeo.com/295082062

https://vimeo.com/295081795

https://vimeo.com/295081795^^^^^^URL

Last edited:
Dude, you lost 200lbs?! That's amazing! I can't even imagine how much hard work and discipline that took. If you channel that same work and discipline into rebuilding your DG throw, then after a while, you'd probably be happy with the results.

Anyways, your latest video looks to me like you're a little late on your sequence. Once your lead foot plants and your rear foot starts to evert, it looks like you're already in the power zone, but I think at that point you should be right at the forward transition/top of backswing (don't swing until you're fully posted on front leg - SW). I'm sure SW or SP will come in and correct me or expand on what I'm trying to say.

Oh yeah, how'd a Philly native become a Ole Miss fan?
Who dat.

Thank you.

I think the OP is an Ole Miss fan. I just posted to say how DG helped me even if it's just a little.

Ok after doing some drill and going to the course, I am convinced that my best option at this point is going to be just go back to square one. I have many bad habits from other sports that is transferring over. Gonna throw only putters/mids for awhile and do tons of drills. What drills do yall recommend to start off with. Gonna do some hammer throws, one leg throws, and the right pec drill and film some of each. What else do yall recommend for drills to rebuild my throw? I have 6 months until I start my residency so I want to be comfortable with my form by then.

That sounds like good practice, experiment with a drill or two per session and analyze film. Focus on balance and feeling leverage to sling the disc's weight effortlessly. Butt swivels one direction and arm/disc moves the opposite direction. Don't practice every single day, maybe every other day or less. Body needs recovery time to build new muscle memory. Don't be afraid to try something that feels like it has no power.

Last edited:
Good deal. Thanks so much sidewinder. It's can be frustrating, but I'm pretty excited about the process. I know the hard work will eventually pay off. Biggest thing I have to tell myself is that it won't be some instant change. It's gonna be a slow process

ok after doing some one leg/hammer throw today I really felt like my right glute and thigh were sore like I had been using them a lot. I felt as if i was really tightening that right backside when i was pulling through. Hopefully this is what I should be feeling. Will get out and get some videos when the weather is better

https://youtu.be/IA8Q3lTDoOY

Ok I think I finally got the grip correct. Did a few late night hammers working on being balanced and smooth. It cracks me up hearing my ankles snap, crackle, and pop in all these videos. Sprained each one multiple times playing baseball

https://youtu.be/06xdrGqYlXg

https://youtu.be/Kws6Oej8UJU

Did some one leg type throws into the net today. Feel like I'm making a little progress, but not much haha. Shoulders still feel like they are flying open. Biggest thing I'm trying to get the feeling of is the correct weight shift which I think is slightly better. Still not fully committing to getting on the brace leg I feel. Enjoying the process of trying to revamp the form.

You are still trying push too late off the rear foot, after the front heel plants. So you are trying to push through a braced front leg and spinning out, instead of shifting everything forward off rear foot as the front heel plants and then rotating/swinging posted upright on the front leg.

Your head is also not turning back or forth. Watch your disc swing back and forth.

Ok after doing some drill and going to the course, I am convinced that my best option at this point is going to be just go back to square one. I have many bad habits from other sports that is transferring over. Gonna throw only putters/mids for awhile and do tons of drills. What drills do yall recommend to start off with. Gonna do some hammer throws, one leg throws, and the right pec drill and film some of each. What else do yall recommend for drills to rebuild my throw? I have 6 months until I start my residency so I want to be comfortable with my form by then.

I have no contribution to the form stuff (at least not now), but it seems like many a disc golfer took their game to the next level in 4th year. My psych rotation was right next to two nice courses, and my last rotation of 3rd year. Psych-cation, followed by 4th year, made some nice time available for DG.

Enjoy, and good luck in the match! I was in Jackson and regret that I didn't get to play the Rez. But I'll be back...

I have no contribution to the form stuff (at least not now), but it seems like many a disc golfer took their game to the next level in 4th year. My psych rotation was right next to two nice courses, and my last rotation of 3rd year. Psych-cation, followed by 4th year, made some nice time available for DG.

Enjoy, and good luck in the match! I was in Jackson and regret that I didn't get to play the Rez. But I'll be back...

Thanks! I'm going into Urology so I'll know where I'm headed in just a couple weeks! The Rez is awesome and probably a top 5 course in MS. I'm planning on taking disc golf vacation to Idlewild sometime this year

Latest posts