• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jump putting

Even though I say I never jump putt I did one yesterday. I was behind a tree about 70ft out and had to straddle. I followed through. If i'm ever in the open and putting I don't jump putt unless it's 130-150ft. I still use the same beat magnet.

I use different putters of the same mold. This may seem counter-intuitive but I use a lighter one inside the circle and a heavier one outside. My reasoning is that with the increased distance I am throwing with more snap and require more stability so I don't just turn my putter over. This way I am keeping essentially the same form, just with more snap.

My approach is essentially the opposite...

Putts inside the circle MUST go in. I use ol' reliable a pretty new 172 KC Pro Aviar.

Putts that are way outside the circle are nice to run sometimes, but they are just a bonus. Throwing an overstable heavy putter with tons of snap at it is pretty risky. You float an understable lighter disc in with touch and you have a good chance of making it with only a low probability of a 3 putt.

I use different putters of the same mold. This may seem counter-intuitive but I use a lighter one inside the circle and a heavier one outside. My reasoning is that with the increased distance I am throwing with more snap and require more stability so I don't just turn my putter over. This way I am keeping essentially the same form, just with more snap.

snap doesn't turn over a disc. weight doesn't necessarily make a disc more understable

how hard do you putt that you are worried about turning over a putter? don't you have to put anny on your jump putts anyway?

Throwing an overstable heavy putter with tons of snap at it is pretty risky. You float an understable lighter disc in with touch and you have a good chance of making it with only a low probability of a 3 putt.

I'm only going to jump putt at it if I'm certain I'll hit metal. Otherwise its just a lay up. My experiences have taught me that an understable glidey putter isn't my best disc selection for long range putting. My touch and confidence with it are small compared to with my heavier putter. I've got my touch down with that. Looking back at my last two tournaments I've only three putted once and that was from inside the circle.

snap doesn't turn over a disc. weight doesn't necessarily make a disc more understable

how hard do you putt that you are worried about turning over a putter? don't you have to put anny on your jump putts anyway?

My in-the-circle putter I use everyday is a 167g Chains Aviar that's about 20 years old. It flips on occasion without me even trying. I putt with the intent of pushing into or through the chains, not laying it down in the basket. Outside the circle, its an 11x KC or a 175g Chains Aviar that I know won't flip unless I have bad form. I don't put any anny on the putt unless its required by my lie, just a dead straight flight. Its just what works for me.

Could someone post some links to vids of jump putts? I am going on YT right now to try and find some.

Could someone post some links to vids of jump putts? I am going on YT right now to try and find some.

EDIT: not as many jump putts in that vid as I thought, but there is enough, and plenty of walking putts

Last edited:
i use my trust worthy bangers for anything within 45 after that i use a star dart for the glide

Weight doesnt add stability?

I dont add any anny to jump putts. I can jump putt out to 150'.

I use the same pink Banger GT Pro for everything within 100'.
Side note: It was windy at the weekly at Lava Creek so I jump putted from 110' and nailed the basket. That is the only birdie I have ever gotten on hole 8 and it felt great.

Wow, 150ft...thats really far

I dont know if there is any sarcasm in that. If my post came across that I was bragging or something I wasnt, I added distance only because the post I was quoting sounded like most use anny. I thought maybe people use anny that are jump putting further out than me.

I use a Dart for Jump Putting and a Pure for regular putting. I like to keep them separate because when the disc is in your hand, your brain automatically turns on what kind of putting you are about to do. It takes repitition, but like Pavlov's experiments, whenever I get that Dart in my hand, my body is ready to lean forward for that jump putt strike.

Also, I usually jump putt from about 125 feet out. I don't expect to hit anything more than 60, but my jump putts from 60-125 usually land inside 10 feet of the basket. Basically, the longer jump putts are more of an accurate lay up.

Mines more of a follow-through in the form of a run or just quick steps through my lie. No jump.

Depending on how far out my "run-through" putt may be decides which putter I use.

I typically putt with SSS Magics -- very str8 to slightly understable.

When far out I switch to my Tank.

The power used to push out a long fast, but low (to avoid stall outs or wind and to minimize fade away) flips my magics over on occasion.

The Tank is quite overstable and can hold up to such.

I throw the same mold but outside more beat in and inside a newish jk. If it is really windy I putt with a classic roc.

I don't jump putt. Stand and deliver.
The jump putting I see isn't legal. People are in the air, beyond their mark all the time. It seems stance violations are no big deal, but I enjoy playing by the rules.

Jump putting does not seem like a lot of advantage to me, but that's not the way I practice so maybe I'm missing something.

Latest posts