• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just curious

Ted Bratton

Double Eagle Member
Does your ape, boss, dominator, groove, katana, vulcan, teedevil, wahoo, archon, krait, mamba, teerex, beast, monarch, orc, monster, sl, starfire, fl, valkyrie, viking, archangel, dragon, banshee, tl, cheetah, gazelle, viper, whippet, cro, kite, panther, skeeter, spider, cobra, king cobra, coyote, lycan, mako, roc+, shark, stingray, super stingray, wolf, aero, classic roc, dart, hydra, wedge, xd, classic aviar, jk aviar, yeti aviar, birdie, polecat, sonic, condor, and/or zephyr have a vital and potentially permanent place your bag? What specific holes do you throw it on, and how does it compare specifically to the other discs you have tried throwing for that shot? What is it's weight and plastic, when was it made, and what condition is it in? Was one of these discs vital but has been replaced by a different disc?

Star Starfire, 175, beat: My FH crutch. Rarely throw it for anything other than FH, had it for years, I just know it too well to drop it.

Champ Banshee, 175, good: My meathook disc. I've tried Firebirds, Whippets, and xXx but the Banshee seemed like a comfortable medium of slowness and stability.

DX Polecat, 165, beat: My touch disc. Great for NAGS, aggressive runs and fast greens. SuperSonic, Gopher, Rattler, and Z Putt'R have all attempted to take its spot but only the Rattler came close.

Obviously these are all Innova discs that are listed on their website. I didn't include ones that I personally see discussed here often, recommended often, or that I have often seen in the bags of today's top men's open pros. Some of the ones on this list are more popular than others but they are all not as widely "loved" as destroyers, teebirds, and rocs.

Thanks brotherdave that is awesome

Okay, I'll play along.

Ape Thrown in the field a few times, has no place in my game.
Boss Gave it a trial run in the bag for a while. Never clicked.
Katana I oscillate between a Champ Katana and Z Nuke for max distance (RHFH).
Archon Used it for a while as a max distance backhand disc. Never really clicked, but haven't given up on it.
Teerex For a long time this was my long range overstable disc for forehand. It has since been replaced by the XCal.
Orc Really versatile long range disc. It still makes appearances in my bag from time-to-time
Starfire Have a fairly new one but haven't thrown it much. I'm not sure there's a slot for it to fill in the bag though.
Valkyrie Not in the bag anymore, but did spend a long time there. I used to get really nice long glidey forehand drives with it.
Archangel One of the first discs I ever owned. Broke it a long time ago.
TL Finds its way into the bag on occasion as a neutral workhorse.
Cheetah Got one at a tourney in DX plastic. I like the flight, but don't have much use for it in the bag. Teebird really overshadows it.
Gazelle Fun to throw, just don't really have a spot in the bag for it.
Whippet This is the only one that really has a permanent spot in the bag. Love it for big forehand hyzers. The Drone could take it's place, but they really are not the same.
Roc+ Have a few, but I prefer Buzzzes
Shark Was my workhorse mid for a long time. Replaced by Buzzzes.
Dart Was my favorite putter until I discovered Wizards.
Birdie When I was first learning the game, I was trying to find a putter that would work. The Birdie intrigued me. I was wrong.
Polecat Same story as the Birdie.

So I have a lot of limited experience with the list. And I like a lot of these molds, they just mostly get overshadowed by something I like even more.

Would you mind telling me about them?

I have about 5 of them for now, probably added more for practice soon.

Started off using the KC Aviars but grew to love the softer plastic on the JK's. Same flight pattern as the KC's but the feel is so much better in my hand, especially on the colder days.

Used primarily for all my shorts within 40'. Tried many putters but none have pushed the JK out of my bag.

I don't have one bagged but the Wedge is a good disc for turnover drives and laser approaches.

For the first couple years I played I would only throw Discraft and Gateway. Then, for financial reasons I started throwing anything I could find. I bonded with the Boss, Katana, Groove (I know, I know), Xcal, Teerex and Max. Now I mostly throw Vibram and the only Innova disc I'm still using is an Xcal until Vibram releases the overstable Lace.

I aced with an Archangel twice...back in 2002. But yeah, pretty much none of those listed have ever been in my bag for an extended period of time. The only "non-popular" Innova disc I have bagged is my Pigs, and even those are pretty popular around here.

The reason there is so much love for Destroyers, Teebirds et al. is because they are GOOD DISCS. I love Innova and am super-greatful for everything they've done for the sport, but they do produce a fair amount of crap...I shouldn't say that, I fair amount of stuff that is only good for begginers. But yeah, there is some crap: Groove, Wolf, etc.

Latest posts