• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just curious

Ape: Found a beat F2 once...too fast and OS for my game
Boss: Have a Champ and a Blizzard Champ. Occasionally break them out for fieldwork for kicks
Katana: Had a Pro once. It was okay, but I traded it in
Wahoo: Bought a used one once just for the novelty. Too flippy, traded it in
Beast: Have a DX and a Pro. Often have one bagged. Some of my longest throws have been with that DX.
Monarch: Bought a new Champ on clearance once. Not as understable as I thought, too much like other discs. Traded it in.
Orc: Awesome disc, have had two Champs and a Pro. Losing those Champs were sad times. Trying other discs for that slot, but may go back to the trusty Orc.
Monster: Have an X-out Champ that I found maybe seven or eight years ago. Still have it, don't use it.
Starfire: Had one once, lost it quickly
Valkyrie: Have had several, currently have an SE, a JK Pro 150g, and a Champ dye. Used to throw these a lot
Archangel: Have one. I use it some for fieldwork, but I'm probably selling/trading it
Cheetah: Had one once, lost it
Gazelle: One of the first two discs I ever had (DX). Beat into a great disc, but lost in the water. Still miss it, but not sure if I could bag it these days
Cro: Had a Star I bought used. Not a bad disc, but lost its spot to a Pain. Traded it in
Spider: Have a Champ that I bought way back when with my first Champ Orc. Not a bad disc, but I rarely bag it anymore. Hate to part with it, though.
Cobra: Have a DX at 126g (no typo). Just to see what it did.
Shark: The other of my first two disc, at 150g. Liked it, but I lost it long ago.
Dart: Had an R-Pro that I bought to try out. Liked it okay, have since given it away to a new player
Condor: Bought a Blizzard Champ from the factory store, mostly for the novelty. Still intend to try it on the course, though, it seems from some fieldwork like it could be fun.

A lot of what I carry now are from other manufacturers (Lat64, MVP, etc) and thus some of these I guess have lost spots to those.

I used to throw Champ 'Yotes as my workhorse mid for a couple of years until I discovered x Comets.
Now the Comet is my workhorse mid.

I still keep a beat star Yote as a utility disc only (delicate, get-out-of-trouble, forehand flicks from 100' or so in). I seem to have a much better touch for the Yote than with the Comet when it comes to get-out-of-trouble FHs.

1978: Since you only have 4 different discs from the list it might have been easier to just post about them. Why are you planning on replacing your tl with a leo?

Because I carry a Pro Leopard and thought it would reduce my molds...I could go the other way and remove the Pro Leopard and put in a beat SE Teebird-L but I find it is more understable than the Leopard.

I realize the TL is a tad longer...I also like Glow plastic.

I got a grip bag in order to force myself to reduce molds, but in multiple course tournaments, I find myself using almost every disc. I take out stuff I wont need before the tournament starts.

I did the 2 mt dew post read...just figured you listed every innova disc, didn't realize you selected just a few.

I like this thread, might help me determine what discs to dump off at PAIS.

Polecat is my crutch. I just love it. I use it a lot and it does what I tell it to do. It's not a putter. It's an approach disc and a driver.

Leopard is great here in NC for the woods. It's just a comfortable controllable disc.

Eagle is on the bubble.

Does your ape, boss, dominator, groove, katana, vulcan, teedevil, wahoo, archon, krait, mamba, teerex, beast, monarch, orc, monster, sl, starfire, fl, valkyrie, viking, archangel, dragon, banshee, tl, cheetah, gazelle, viper, whippet, cro, kite, panther, skeeter, spider, cobra, king cobra, coyote, lycan, mako, roc+, shark, stingray, super stingray, wolf, aero, classic roc, dart, hydra, wedge, xd, classic aviar, jk aviar, yeti aviar, birdie, polecat, sonic, condor, and/or zephyr have a vital and potentially permanent place your bag? What specific holes do you throw it on, and how does it compare specifically to the other discs you have tried throwing for that shot? What is it's weight and plastic, when was it made, and what condition is it in? Was one of these discs vital but has been replaced by a different disc?

Boss: star, champ, blizz. The star is beat in, nice and straight with fade, or long anny that wont flex unless its high enough. Champ and bliz see less time, used in field/tailwind.

Teerex: star. Used to be real overstable, slightly beat, long and straight, nice hard fade at the end.

Mako: echo star. Holds a pretty straight line, almost brand new. My beat esp buzzz is much easier to control and straighter easier. Good disc, now use my tangent for these shots, longer and more versatile while being easier to throw straight powered down.

Starfire: champ. Got a light one at pias with a sick rainbow tie dye that is almost identical to my heavier predator. Do the same job, starfire fades harder, use it for tombstones, lil flexes, and hard fade hyzers, very banshee like for me.

I have a Star Boss (171g) and use it for full power shots where I have just a little bit of fairway to work with, doesn't have to be much, and where there is no to medium wind. I do not use it for heavy wind.

I also use the Yeti pro for SLOW and I mean SLLLOOOOWWW turn over shots. It is my favorite anny disc for shorter throws and it is beautiful to watch :)

Other than that, don't use any of the other discs at all.

Archon and King Cobra stay in my bag. King Cobra is my go to mid, Archon for most of my forehand shots. Most of my friends swear by the Boss. I know one guy that powers it down and does better with it than any of his mids. I've been revisiting the Mamba, it may earn a place back in my bag.

After a short 5 pages these are reported to be staples in the bags of people on this forum:
Boss X2
Dominator
Katana X3
TeeRex
Krait
Archon
Mamba
Monster X2
Starfire X2
Orc X2
Beast X2
Dragon
Banshee
TL X2
Gazelle
Whippet
Cro
Hydra X2
King Cobra
Coyote X2
Mako
Classic Roc
Dart
JK Aviar
Yeti Aviar
Polecat X2

No one has claimed the ape, groove, vulcan, teedevil, wahoo, monarch, sl, valkyrie, viking, archangel, cheetah, viper, kite, panther, skeeter, spider, cobra, lycan, roc+, shark, stingray, super stingray, wolf, aero, wedge, xd, classic aviar, birdie, sonic, condor, or zephyr to be in their bag yet.

What the heck is this. Why are you concerned? FWIW, this internet community represents less than 1% of disc golf in the USA and is very 'flavor of the month' oriented. Nothing conclussive can be determined from this thread.

For each disc listed, i personally know at least one person that throws it regularly. No joke.

My discs are more flavor of the decade than FOTM

To answer the OP's question: 42

No one has claimed the ape, groove, vulcan, teedevil, wahoo, monarch, sl, valkyrie, viking, archangel, cheetah, viper, kite, panther, skeeter, spider, cobra, lycan, roc+, shark, stingray, super stingray, wolf, aero, wedge, xd, classic aviar, birdie, sonic, condor, or zephyr to be in their bag yet.

My dad uses a Zephyr as his main putter and has 3 COndors in his bag. He also uses a Sonic for approaches and some putts as well. He also throws a Millenium Tachyon which is more or less a Viper. He has an old proto star Aero that he uses sometimes as well.

My wife has a Skeeter, a Valk and a Stingray in the bag. She putts with a Pro Birdie and a Lat64 Strawberry Mercy.

My daughter uses a Wolf and a Birdie, as does my brother and his main driver is an XG Archangel.

My friend Cameron uses a Classic Aviar as a putter and loves how stiff it is. He also has a Valk and a Shark in the bag.

Some of my friends also bag Archons, Monarchs, Apes and Panthers.

So yes, absolutley this stuff gets used. It gets used a lot, and Innova probably sells a buttload of them. With so many options out there, there's a disc for every thrower and every type of throw and that's just from Innova.

Katana is the disc that I have flicked 400'. I'll keep it forever. I like champion because star gets too flippy after it's broken in. My buddy has giant banana hands and putts exclusively with the XG Roc +s. He hits a consistent 9 out of 10 within 40 feet. They are even decent into the wind.

I have bagged a Viking (Champ, distance), Valks (Champ/Pro, distance), Monarchs (Champ, flippy distance), Panther (Champ, understable mid), Skeeter (Star, understable mid), Shark (Champ overstable mid), Aero (Champ, touch disc (miss these)), Classic Aviar (DX, first putter ever), Coyote (Star/Champ, one of first mids ever), Dart (R-Pro, hated it), Classic Roc (DX/Champ, another good mold that needs to be kept in Champ), TL (Champ/Star understable FW), Beast (Champ, distance), Orc (Champ, distance), TeeRex (Star, wore into flippy POS), and Boss (Champ, distance).

In bold are ones I'd easily place back in the bag if I wanted to. Innova is still very big in NC so I see people throwing all sorts of their stuff still but I am seeing a strong trend of people getting "hip" mixed bags like mine with MVP, Lat, Vibram, etc.

I already answered, but I'll give my history with the ones I have history with cuz I'm bored at work. Don't read it if you don't want to:

Ape: Champ. Last Innova disc I ever got suckered into buying. This disc and these forums helped me realize that they were just releasing discs for the hell of it and convincing noobs like me to buy them by calling them "long" and "fast". Took the place of my Nuke for a long while. Still keep it for those "I might lose a disc here but need something I can flick" holes. Refuses to be lost. Boxed, occasionally bagged.

Boss: R-Pro. Bought as an X-Out for field work and as a waste disc on wooded courses. Got my first ace with it two months in, and it's shelved. I throw a putter on that hole now :D.

Groove: Champ. Bought. Threw three times. Sold.

Archon: Star. Still have it, but can't do anything with it. Meat hook. On the "to be sold" pile, but on the shelf until then because "first run" seems to mean something.

Beast: DX, Champ, Star. Loved DX, so bought Champ. It's a meat hook. Tried flicking it, and it soars. It's "meat hook-ness" is obviously a form flaw. Wraith gets the same flight but longer, so no use for Champ. Found a light Star one on the course that works beautifully, but already have discs for that slot. Boxed.

Orc: DX. Holds my personal distance record for backhand. Loved that disc, but it's underwater. The ones I've seen to replace it are so drastically inconsistent in domey:flat ratio that I can't justify spending money on them.

Monster: Champ. First disc I ever bought, along with a Gazelle and a Dart. Horrible investment. Still have it for the memories and as a backup to Firebird or FL. Boxed.

FL: Star. Was told it was a longer Firebird. It isn't. It has its place, but the Firebird is better. Still carry the FL in the hope that beating it a bit more will earn it a place in my heart. Bagged.

Valkyrie: DX, Champ. Bought early on because I was told that everyone should have one. DX ones are awesome. Champ is ok, but nothing I really need. Only hot pink disc I've ever lost on dry land. Boxed.

Viking: Champ. Bought because I had money and it was there. Numbers looked ok. Had a great round with it that day. Then started shanking it and never threw it again. It's on the "too new to sell so I should try it again" list. Boxed.

Archangel: DX. I have two. Tried one on a top of the world shot and set up for birdie. Bought both of them immediately and shanked one into a lake. Got it back and shanked it again. Don't really need it, but there it is. Boxed.

TL: Star. Bought because of the "1" fade. Used to throw all the time. I don't now, but I really should. They're great discs. Boxed, occasionally bagged.

Gazelle: DX, Star, KC Pro. Covered in earlier post. Love it. Bagged.

Skeeter: DX. Meh. Shark was better. Sold.

Shark: DX, Star. Hit my longest early putts with this thing. I have too much OAT and can't do anything with it consistently. The Star has a Mitt Romney stamp so I want to throw it all the time, but the Buzzz is just better. Period. Boxed, occasionally thrown.

Dart: Star. First putter. Replaced when I realized that my X-Out Star Skeeter that I threw for approach shots was actually a Star Aviar. Sold immediately.

I know none of that answered the question because the only one that DOES have a permanent place is the Gazelle, but again... I'm bored. Now you probably are too. So get off the damn computer and go putt or something.

What the heck is this. Why are you concerned? FWIW, this internet community represents less than 1% of disc golf in the USA and is very 'flavor of the month' oriented. Nothing conclussive can be determined from this thread.

For each disc listed, i personally know at least one person that throws it regularly. No joke.

What? I'm the 1%. Yahoo!

You just concluded that nothing can be concluded, so that's something.

But seriously, I have a 175g Monarch I'll bag if it's windy because it is flat, too overstable for me and great into a headwind. I'll bag a 150g Star Valkyrie if it's windy as a tailwind driver. When there is no wind I'll bag a 150g XD because it is super accurate for short drives and upshots. I'm not a forehand thrower because my elbow looks like Seabiscuit's left knee, but sometimes I'll throw in a Birdie to practice forehand upshots.

I have a 148g DX Shark that I never use because the rim is chewed up and rips the skin off my middle finger and I have a 177g Lycan that I never use because my 180g X Comet is less finicky and goes farther, easier.

I'm a noob and just play for fun so my bag constantly changes as I try new discs. Since I joined this forum I only buy the stuff you guys gush over. So, thanks a lot for the Lycan.

It does seem that many of these discs are not carried by the pros. Maybe the understable stuff mostly? Is this correct?

I use Pro Starfires (SL) as my distance drivers. They are the highest speed discs I'll ever need and are super straight with a little fade.

I use DX Coyotes as my understable mids. Coyotes are probably the most comfortable discs that I have ever felt.

I used to throw Vikings until I lost a couple and sold the others. Nice underrated disc.

I used to throw Spiders. They were nice little discs. I throw buzzzes now, but Spidies were great all-around discs.

I used to throw Gazelles. Now I throw Teebirds. It's not the Gazelle's fault, just too much overlap.

Lol, Read the title of the thread Mr. Serious. I'm not trying to extrapolate to understand how many of these discs are sold or used or whatever. I'm not concerned lol. I simply am curious if anyone who reads my post and wants to post on this thread has these discs bagged right now and why they love throwing them.

The only one of those I have is a Krait and it is a mutant krait that does not fly the way it should, so I will not replace it.