• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just curious

172g, seasoned but not beat Pro Valk is my go to, long hyzer flip to turnover driver for those holes that need to turn right a long way down the fairway and keep going. A lot of others choose a crazy over stable fh for this shot, but those fall short just as they hit the turn whereas this throw for me just keeps gliding and slows down straight after its big turn.

That's the only disc on your list in my bag, and you would have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers before I'd take it out (or "oot" for our Canadian brethren). I can get a similar line with my seasoned Gl Rivers, but they don't perform this same shot with as much consistence and seem to be a little more affected by wind direction than the Valk.

shark- The Champion and Pro varieties, of course. My go to straight flying midrange.
yeti aviar- Short range drives that need to turnover. These come in some sweet feeling plastic.

What the heck is this. Why are you concerned? FWIW, this internet community represents less than 1% of disc golf in the USA and is very 'flavor of the month' oriented. Nothing conclussive can be determined from this thread.

For each disc listed, i personally know at least one person that throws it regularly. No joke.

I agree with this "bold" part. I know someone or multiple people that throw 95% of those discs or have heavily relied on them in the past.

I use Star SLs as my main distance drivers. Unless it's Blizzard, I can't really get anything more out of anything faster. They are super straight with a reliable but small fade FH or BH. They also do pretty well for me in the wind unless it's hurricane caliber. Still pretty angry these are being discontinued in Star.

dx XD. I have made so many unbelievable shots with this disc. I can throw it almost as far as any of my midranges. Main putter inside the circle. Crazy accurate FH approaches. I love the low profile. It's like an understable/neutral zone. There's just nothing else like it. I've tried Magics & Pures, the plastics feel nice but they profiles are too tall. Nothing beats the feel of a flat XD in hand when I have a can't miss putt/approach.

Gazelle. Never thrown a dx. But KC Pro Gazelles are amazing, easy to throw, stable, and forgiving. I could probably drop ever other driver in my bag and just use a Gazelle and my score wouldn't change.

Does your ape, boss, dominator, groove, katana, vulcan, teedevil, wahoo, archon, krait, mamba, teerex, beast, monarch, orc, monster, sl, starfire, fl, valkyrie, viking, archangel, dragon, banshee, tl, cheetah, gazelle, viper, whippet, cro, kite, panther, skeeter, spider, cobra, king cobra, coyote, lycan, mako, roc+, shark, stingray, super stingray, wolf, aero, classic roc, dart, hydra, wedge, xd, classic aviar, jk aviar, yeti aviar, birdie, polecat, sonic, condor, and/or zephyr have a vital and potentially permanent place your bag?

In the bag every single round -
Blizzard Katana - wide open turning driver
R-Pro Boss - wide open returning driver
Champion Valkyrie - for all other drives and fairway drives
Mamba - Straight to turning driver that glides forever.
Star Wedge - turning approach - long putter
Star Cro - stable mid and approach - windy putter.
R-Pro Dart - putt and approach

Depending on course/conditions -
Champion TL - smooth buttery placement goodness.
Champion Kite - great for predictable turnovers.
Champion Monarch - straight predictable flyer

The Polecat, Skeeter, Dart and Wedge are all great straight to understable discs. They fly flat and land flat, even on low power shots. This means it is easy to put anhyzer on putts and have the shot stay turned all the way to the target. Plus the rubbery R-Pro grip helps me to get a good interface with my discs.

Once upon a time in the 90's I had a bagful of Banshees, Gazelles, Cheetahs, Stingrays, Cobras, Vipers and Whippets. In the 2000's it was Orcs, Beasts, Starfires, and SL's. All are great for certain shots, but I can't carry them all.

My post was kind of cryptic, my apologies. I know these molds are all beloved by many players. I am curious whether these molds are staples in the bags of people who post on this forum. The hip thing on this forum are the newer companies MVP, Lat64/Westside/DD, Prodigy, Legacy, and then there are the extremely popular Innova molds, Discmania, Millenium, Discraft, DGA, Prodiscus, and Gateway that all compete with the 50+ less popular Innova discs. I don't see the Skeeter discussed much or even mentioned, and I don't see it posted in peoples signatures or in Paul McBeth's in the bag video. It is clear that the majority of these were used by people on this forum but they are now trying something new for whatever reason. Here is what people who post on this forum are currently carrying in their bags so far:
Boss X3
Dominator
Katana X5
TeeRex
Krait
Archon
Monarch X2
Mamba X2
Monster X2
Starfire X2
SL X2
Orc X2
Beast X2
Dragon
Valkyrie X3
Banshee
TL X3
Gazelle X2
Whippet
Cro X2
Hydra X2
King Cobra
Shark X2
Coyote X3
Mako
Kite
Classic Roc
Dart X2
XD X2
Wedge
JK Aviar
Yeti Aviar X2
Polecat X2

No one who has personally posted on this thread has claimed one of these discs to currently be in their bag (that includes course specific choices): ape, groove, vulcan, teedevil, wahoo, viking, archangel, cheetah, viper, panther, skeeter, spider, cobra, lycan, roc+, stingray, super stingray, wolf, aero, classic aviar, birdie, sonic, condor, or zephyr. Many have claimed that their little brother or their grandma loves them, though. I am suprised to not see anyone who carries a vulcan, teedevil, viking, cheetah, viper, spider, roc+, stingray, super stingray, classic aviar, sonic, or condor post yet. I am suprised to see the katana, cro, coyote, and hydra were as popular as they are.

*TL as my goto fairway driver. if i need it more OS, I've got a *TB. I've toyed with the GL river some as a replacement or US fairway, but will probably just stick with the TL/TB combo. anywhere in the 270'-330' range.

You could always go to a Discmania S-line craze, i have one in my bag and it resembles my SL that i lost alomst perfectly !

my bag is mostly innova except for buzzz, comet, pure. interestingly enough only one irreplaceable disc from my bag made your list. the valkyrie. I really like 170 ish star valks, they are very versatile and predictable for me. when somebody asks "what did you just throw?" the answer is most likely a valk.

the only others that have earned a permanent spot are star eagle x, champ rhyno and KC aviars. I'm quite partial to star roadrunners, star destroyers, pro wraiths, champ banshees, firebirds etc but none are irreplaceable by any means

No one who has personally posted on this thread has claimed one of these discs to currently be in their bag (that includes course specific choices): ape, groove, vulcan, teedevil, wahoo, viking, archangel, cheetah, viper, panther, skeeter, spider, cobra, lycan, roc+, stingray, super stingray, wolf, aero, classic aviar, birdie, sonic, condor, or zephyr. Many have claimed that their little brother or their grandma loves them, though. I am suprised to not see anyone who carries a vulcan, teedevil, viking, cheetah, viper, spider, roc+, stingray, super stingray, classic aviar, sonic, or condor post yet. I am suprised to see the katana, cro, coyote, and hydra were as popular as they are.

The Ape is always in my bag for those heavy wind situations. I can rip that thing into a headwind without worry. When it was brand new I've thrown it into a 20mph headwind on a frozen rope. (Hole 7 Glen Helen) Innova specifically claims these aren't for beginners and they're right.

I have a TeeDevil in the bag as well. Works like a flippy Destroyer. I can hit some fun lines with this disc.

I also have a Vulcan for hyzerflipping long tunnel shots or huge anhyzer lines.

I used to have a Roc+ but it has been replaced by the Roc3. However, the Super Stingray is a perfect compliment to the Roc3 for me.

I also have a Panther that I use for high altitude courses. I use it on a majority of the holes at Wrightwood.

I'm surprised that you're surprised the Katana and Cro are popular. They're both great molds.

Does your ape, boss, dominator, groove, katana, vulcan, teedevil, wahoo, archon, krait, mamba, teerex, beast, monarch, orc, monster, sl, starfire, fl, valkyrie, viking, archangel, dragon, banshee, tl, cheetah, gazelle, viper, whippet, cro, kite, panther, skeeter, spider, cobra, king cobra, coyote, lycan, mako, roc+, shark, stingray, super stingray, wolf, aero, classic roc, dart, hydra, wedge, xd, classic aviar, jk aviar, yeti aviar, birdie, polecat, sonic, condor, and/or zephyr have a vital and potentially permanent place your bag? What specific holes do you throw it on, and how does it compare specifically to the other discs you have tried throwing for that shot? What is it's weight and plastic, when was it made, and what condition is it in? Was one of these discs vital but has been replaced by a different disc?

I don't see the Skeeter discussed much or even mentioned...
Viking is my primary driver. I have 3 and one is almost always in my bag. When I need a straight throw longer than I can throw the Axis this is what I use. They are DX 162g, DX 172g, and Champ 172g.

I used the Skeeter some and am thinking of messing around with it some again. I don't see it displacing the Axis, though. I have a 175g DX and several DX in the mid 130's. I am tempted to get a 150 class Star.

Cobra was my favorite mid before I both found the Axis and got good enough to throw the Buzzz effectively. I am thinking of messing around with this some more, too, since I do want a lighter weight alternative to the Axis for days w/o much wind. I have a DX 150g, DX 178g, and a Star 178g.

Katana is my driver when I need distance and there is room for it to move. More often than not I throw this FH rather than BH. Since this is a Blizzard 139g I use this for distance around water. I also have a 140g backup.

A Dragon is almost always in my bag when playing around water. If it didn't get beat up so easily I would use this more, since it is lightweight and flies very straight for me.

A 171g R-Pro Dart is my primary putter, except when there is more than moderate wind. I have a 171g Star Dart that has not worked as well for me as a putter, but I am thinking about using sometimes to drive on holes with a lot of light trees and brush.

King Cobra and Shark were my overstable mids before I got a Vector. The King Cobra is 173g and if I could find one in the 150's or low 160's it would be in my bag on less windy days.

The discs that I put in italics above are ones that I have at least one friend who always has one.

Oops, forgot that quote was already in italics! :eek:

Boss, Beast, Monarch, Archangel, Gazelle, Skeeter, Shark, Stingray, Hydra, XD, and Classic Aviar are always being used by at least one of my friends when we are playing.