• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Just One Comet

Just don't get a flat one. You want a little dome.
This.

The key to a good Comet is one with dome. Get one that is flat on top and it's going to be squirrely. Get one with good dome and it will be amazing. Plastics are amazingly unimportant in Comets, one with good dome in any plastic flies like a good Comet. Getting one that flattens out on top in any plastic is going to leave you with a disc that sometimes flies like a good Comet and sometimes doesn't, leaving you perplexed and unhappy.

As for trying out a Comet, X is cheaper and they fly like good Comets when they have good dome so why not? Just make sure it has dome. Just say no to flat Comets.

Another vote for a domey X... the quintessential Comet. Comets are known for their turn and glide, and domey X's seem to do that most consistently.

Plus, if you find it's not your cup of tea, how hard can it possibly be to trade? This thread's a testament to the popularity of that mold in that plastic.

Is there an MJ in the X plastic? At one online retailer I only see the Tour Series (MJ) in the Z line plastic. Thanks!

TripleB

As others have said, its a Z blend. Better than Big Z in terms of wear, more dome than ESP. They fly like a fresh X for a long time.

I think this is the first thread I've ever read where people are pumping up Elite X. I'm a fan, so this makes me happy.

I never understand what some people do to discs to make them so flippy in such short order.

My last Elite-X Comet was in the bag for two years before I lost it, it was a thing of beauty!

^ agree. Mids and putters in baseline or something like X take a ton of abuse to get "flippy."
I guess maybe if you're throwing them into rocks all the time....

By Z Comet flies like my Ion only farther. I use it when I just can't get there with a putter. It is slippery as heck and with the hand feel it does take some getting used to. I've worked with it enough to understand what it does but I could see a lot of people giving up on comets if it were the only one they had. I'll have to try a x to see what all the fuss is about. For me it's all about angle of release with my my Comet more so than most molds.

By Z Comet flies like my Ion only farther. I use it when I just can't get there with a putter. It is slippery as heck and with the hand feel it does take some getting used to. I've worked with it enough to understand what it does but I could see a lot of people giving up on comets if it were the only one they had. I'll have to try a x to see what all the fuss is about. For me it's all about angle of release with my my Comet more so than most molds.
X's are a little less stable out of the box and are grippier in the hand, but otherwise they are Comets. :|

I prefer the Z's but I'm an oddball. What I'd actually prefer is an old Ontario Roc, and the Z Comets are closer to O Rocs than any other Comets. X's probably fly more like the old TP Comets with that crazy "that went 30' farther than I expected" glide thing. The extra stability on the Z's takes away some of that extra glide.

I had a KC Pro Roc that flew a lot like my z comet. I threw it until it cracked....still miss that disc but it is on my mantle. My biggest issue with my z comet is ranging. Like you said, it sometimes glides and overshoots or sometimes it will just fade and dump. I'm assuming its a nose angle thing but I'm determined to figure it out because I've parked more short holes with the z than most other discs I've owned when I get it right that is.

This.

The key to a good Comet is one with dome. Get one that is flat on top and it's going to be squirrely.

My 177g ESP Comet is super flat and not squirrely at all. I can crank on it for a hyzer flip and it holds dead straight with no fade at all. It fits really well in between my understable Z Comet (domey) and stable ESP Buzzz.

My 177g ESP Comet is super flat and not squirrely at all. I can crank on it for a hyzer flip and it holds dead straight with no fade at all. It fits really well in between my understable Z Comet (domey) and stable ESP Buzzz.

The ESP Comets I like are also not super domey. Not flat, but have a little shoulder before leveling out. The only bad flatter comets are flat x comets...they lose too much glide and stability with no dome.

I'd have to agree. Start with the Elite X, and then try the ESP and the Z. I have fallen in love with the Z and will never be without it.

Elite X, my mom plays like a beginner though she played for a bit for a few years, she was good with a Elite X from the 2000's I think 2005? It was when they came out with them then stopped in the 2000's. They made them again at some point as they saw the prices those Comet's were fetching online after the discontinue.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. I will have to see if I can find a domey x to try out..

I've had the same 180g Z Comet in my bag for about 8 years. It is slightly domey and glides for days, so with minimal effort it flies far and straight. I don't know what it is, but there's just no other disc that has the flight of a Comet.. It's just pure magic.

I'm partial to the MJ Z Comets, but I suppose an X is probably a better introduction to the mold.

Latest posts