• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kansas and Oklahoma - Memorial Weekend Road Trip

klay

Eagle Member
Oklahomans and Kansans(?), my wife and I are seriously considering driving through your states on Memorial Weekend, 5/23 - 5/26.

This would likely be a discing only trip and we want to hit the best of the best courses along the way.

We'd be driving into Kansas from Colorado on I-70 on Friday night and making our way east through the state hopefully all the way to Kansas City. After that we'd make our way down through Wichita and then into Oklahoma.

I know there are a multitude of options along that route and we'll likely only have time for two, maybe three a day before we'd have to turn around and head back.

So, those of you in the know, tell us what we absolutely can't miss whether it be well known, a hidden gem, or even that sweet private course that nobody knows about.

We're both solid players so no worries if a course is considered difficult. The more challenge the better!

Also, we'd like to try and camp somewhere new each night if the possibility exists. If you have any recommendations for good places to put up a tent, feel free to share those too.

Thanks for the help!

I-70 leg through Kansas.

Frontier Park - Hays
Thomas Park - Salina
Longview DGC - Perry Lake
Wyandotte County Park - Bonner Springs (west KC suburbs)
Rosedale Park - Down Under and Top Course - Kansas City, KS
Water Works Park - Kansas City, MO (I mean its in Missouri, but if you're going that far)

I-35 leg through KS

Lakeside Hills DGC - Olathe
Jones Park - East and West and Peter Pan Park - Emporia. Don't forget to stop by Dynamic Discs world headquarters while you're in town.
Oak Park and Herman Hill Park - Wichita
Stone Creek DGC - Derby (suburban Wichita)

Don't know what route you have planned through OK. I-35 is certainly logical. If you can head down state highway 15 out of Wichita to US-77 you'll head through Ponca City, OK, and this wonderful complex.

Lake Ponca - Bois D'arc and Lake Course

Then another two course complex down in the Stillwater area.

Lake McMurtry South and North

Then a few good courses in the OKC suburbs.

Tye F. Cunningham DGC (Mitch Park) - Edmond (north suburbs)
Griffin Park and N.E. Lions Park - Norman (south suburbs)
Noble DGC - Noble (south suburbs)

I know you're not going to have time for all of it, but that should open up some ideas.

As far as camping goes, there are numerous lakes in KS relatively close (within 20 miles) to both interstates, which have both KS state parks and USACE parks located at them (some of which have disc golf courses). There are plenty of campsites, but it being Memorial Day weekend, I expect these places to be big time busy. Camping fees will likely vary. These links should provide you to information.

USACE Lakes Gateway KS page
KS Department of Wildlife, Tourism and Parks

Bartlesville spring fling on the 24th, oologah open on the 25th.

If you just want to play the two best courses in ok, okay the lodge, $5 per day to play, 10 to camp. Best courses in the entire state, and the Taylor's are the nicest people in the world.

In Kansas I would say Thomas Park in Salina is a good place to stop on I-70, if you continue east from there, Perry (longview) is awesome and has camping nearby... Then in Kansas City you'll get all sorts of different opinions but only 30 minutes or so north of the City is the Smithville Lake complex with 3 courses and camping nearby (Blackthorn and Woodhenge are definintely worth a little detour and are pretty challenging). In the city I guess Waterworks is the most "famous" and it is really fun but really isn't very tough.
If you like bomber courses, check out Blue Valley Park (on the missouri side as well). Rosedale is a pitch and putt full of drunks and casuals if you want to spend about 3 hours on a course you'll shoot in the 40's on.
If you are on the I35 route, Lakeside Hills in Olathe is a great course that doesn't get too much traffic and Emporia's courses are also a lot of fun (Maybe jones east and peter pan for the best 2?)....then just keep driving to the Lodge in OK.

As far as in Kansas City I'd recommend Water Works. I cruised through a few courses there and found that one to be the most unique and fun.

Just to reiterate....if you go to OK and don't play the lodge, then you missed the whole point of playing DG in OK. They are the best we have to offer. It's worth the trip just to be there.

I might want to add if you go to Frontier or Thomas, be sure to download the maps on here. Visitors having navigation issues are why those two courses aren't rating higher.

I also happened to look at the weather forecast for Memorial Day weekend, and I would suggest be prepared for wet weather. Might want to keep an eye on the radar, and possibly look into a motel or two as an alternative to camping.

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/zmw:66801.1.99999

I would not recommend Water Works unless you hook up with someone who knows the course. Disclosure: I still have a "bad taste in my mouth" from playing by myself and spending almost as much time hunting the next tee and/or basket, and hunting discs that went out of sight, as I did playing.

Don't miss the lodge. And don't visit the lodge without knocking on the door and saying hello to the taylors.
My other favorites in OK are Blackhawk and Noble.
Don't let waterworks scare you, it's well worth the visit. Rosedale down under is some of my favorite kind of golf.

Don't miss the lodge. And don't visit the lodge without knocking on the door and saying hello to the taylors.
My other favorites in OK are Blackhawk and Noble.
Don't let waterworks scare you, it's well worth the visit. Rosedale down under is some of my favorite kind of golf.

Black is out of season right now, def loaded down with ticks and blood sucking insects. If you go to Tulsa, play Hunter and McClure.

Second Martin's emotion about the lodge. Really good golf and amazing hosts.

Got to play the Lodge last summer (Island Course only). Didn't get to thank Jim personally, but after my round I went back to Hole 1 to look for a lost disc, and Jim's daughter Leah came over on an ATV to help me search for about 20 minutes in an area she told me that poisonous snakes show themselves occasionally.

We never did find the disc, but she gave me a ride back to my car. That's the kind of hospitality that you're in for with the Taylors. I put an extra $5 in their donation box just for that effort.

Awesome, thanks for all the info guys.

I have been monitoring the weather and, while it looks iffy, I think we're going to go for it anyway and just see what happens. We're used to things changing from good to bad pretty quickly where we are so a front rolling through wouldn't be much of a surprise.

I actually haven't witnessed a decent thunderstorm in years so a good rumble and flash or two might be a welcome sight.

Got to play the Lodge last summer (Island Course only). Didn't get to thank Jim personally, but after my round I went back to Hole 1 to look for a lost disc, and Jim's daughter Leah came over on an ATV to help me search for about 20 minutes in an area she told me that poisonous snakes show themselves occasionally.

We never did find the disc, but she gave me a ride back to my car. That's the kind of hospitality that you're in for with the Taylors. I put an extra $5 in their donation box just for that effort.

One more vote for a place with two great courses and some fantastic people. They refused to take more than $10 for the two of us to play both courses, it felt like a steal.

I'll throw out another hospitality story for the lodge.
We pulled in around 5am, slept on the ground in the camping area for a couple hours and when I awoke Jim said "come on in for some coffee and breakfast" they treated us to bacon, eggs and biscuits, OJ and Coffee completely unannounced.
Amazing people, I can't wait until my path brings me back that way again, I will always make a point to stop by if I'm within a few hundred miles.

I guess now that I have the course list covered, I have to ask, where do we eat and drink along the way?

We both love digging up the good, local food places AND we can't go anywhere without exploring the available brewery options.

I've done a little homework already but I want to make sure I don't miss anything or go somewhere that isn't worth the effort.

I guess now that I have the course list covered, I have to ask, where do we eat and drink along the way?

We both love digging up the good, local food places AND we can't go anywhere without exploring the available brewery options.

I've done a little homework already but I want to make sure I don't miss anything or go somewhere that isn't worth the effort.

I can give you places to go in Tulsa, that's it.

I will say this, Billy Sims BBQ (chain), get the Heisman, ask to sub the bologna with extra hot links, add a rib for your side, get a side of beans, and okie toast....nom nom nom

If you make it to KC, try to stop in at Oklahoma Joe's BBQ. The original is in a gas station at 47th and Mission just a few blocks from Rosedale Park. They also sell discs at the gas station, (albeit the DD Kansas City store is in a strip mall just to the east of here). Prepare to wait in line if you go here, and get your food to go, especially if its near lunch hour. Hitting one of their satellite locations in Olathe or Leawood might be the way to go if want to eat in and like myself, aren't patient with lines.

Latest posts