• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keeley Park - Greensboro, NC

AdamCaudle

Double Eagle Member
I was very stoked to learn about the plans for a new park, and disc golf course, being constructed in eastern Greensboro, NC. Having to go at least 25-30 minutes in either direction is kind of annoying (although I know it's better here than a lot of places). Hopefully a lot of thought will go into the design of this course and it will turn out to be a gem. I sent Parks and Recreation an Email with a few questions and I'll have more details when the email me back. For now here is the link http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/departments/Parks/Facilities/regionalparks/keeley/

Great find AC, is it just me or does hole 6 in that plan look like its 800 feet long?

Thanks, but Hycard actually gave me the heads up about the course. Yeah it looks reallly long. There's some killer dog legs too.

My mom lives in Greensboro. :)

I'm curious if any course designer or local club has approached the Parks Department there on installing the course.

Keep us up to date if you receive any info.

I pretty sure Tyson Harton presented this course to the city. He was also a major player in getting the Lake Reidsville course installed, which was designed by Russel Schwartz at Innova. So, it should be a quality course

I hope so. I really like Lake Reidsville except for maybe 2 holes. The fairways just weren't good. It was blind luck if you got through a few of the fairways. Other than that it is a great course.

I'm with you on Lake Reidsville and I know exactly what holes you're talking about. Holes 14 and 15. I can't stand those two holes, but the rest of the course I really like.

Anyway, I'm also looking forward to having another course in NC, especially one not too far away from Raleigh.

I asked that because well, a Master plan is just a Master plan. If there isn't any follow through the plan wont happen. Here in Lexington we have two parks (not including the ones I'm working on) that have 18 hole courses included in the master plan. Only thing it means is that its included in the initial sell of the park (in the master plan) to the city but not part of the final design.
I think its an angle alot of clubs miss because for the most part, if the city can cut down on over all costs, they will exclude the disc golf course. Little do they know is that the course will cost them a fraction of what a ball park will cost and if its good enough will make the city more money from people visiting the city than a ballpark will.

It's all about money and politics.

KEELY PARK:
Checked on the Keely Park site yesterday. No further improvements as of yet.
Hopefully more work will be seen this year.
As it is, a family owned nursery/greenhouse exists on the property but is not open for business.
A city sign located at the back entrance to the proposed Keely Park site promises the project is in the works, however, only minimal land clearing can be seen at this point in time.

The site can be viewed on Google Earth by searching for "Rankin Mill Rd at State Rd. 2830 Greensboro, NC" - Keely Rd is State Rd. 2830 - Property boundaries run from Rankin Mill Rd eastward along Keely Rd to the power line right of way. Follow the power line right of way south to the crossing of another power line right of way. Southern boundary returns westward to Rankin Mill Rd.

I'm hopeful Tyson Hartman was involved in the promotion of the course as he was with the 9-hole Stokesdale course nearby and at Lake Reidsville.

STOKESDALE PARK:
Stokesdale course is almost ready, by the way, with baskets already in the ground. Snow and rain have slowed ground crews here but dry weather should bring an end to construction and opening of the disc course very soon.

CREEKSIDE PARK:
Another new course near completion is Creekside Park in Archdale, NC. Creekside course was built a few years ago as a 6 hole temporary course but now has the 18 hole layout nearly completed with teepads and baskets in place. With final tee signage and additional fairway clearing, this course could play at the level of Johnson Street Park and Lake's Edge in Reidsville. My personal rating of Creekside would be 4 out of 5 discs (when completed) if signage and layout mirror the level seen on the temporary course.

CREEKSIDE PARK:
Another new course near completion is Creekside Park in Archdale, NC. Creekside course was built a few years ago as a 6 hole temporary course but now has the 18 hole layout nearly completed with teepads and baskets in place. With final tee signage and additional fairway clearing, this course could play at the level of Johnson Street Park and Lake's Edge in Reidsville. My personal rating of Creekside would be 4 out of 5 discs (when completed) if signage and layout mirror the level seen on the temporary course.

Unless they make some drastic improvements there aint no way Creekside will be as good as Johnson St. I've played it since they have had all the baskets and tees in and it is not pretty.

OK, it has been 2 months sense a last post so what is the update on the Keeley Park DG course? Is construction under way or anything going on there? anybody know anything about it?

One of my family members told me that either part of the course is in or that the course is scheduled to be put in on phase two.

Went and checked out the place yesterday. It's a beautiful park. However, it doesn't appear that any work has been started on the course. The course is part of Phase II which includes a dog park, four baseball fields, and a couple of volleyball courts. Since Phase II hasn't started yet, I'm guessing the course will be done in the next year or two (hopefully).

Any updates? Im moving to Greensboro this coming up week. Whos in charge of the project and whos installing it. Club/s? Ive got a ton of experience and plan on helping out ,not so much taking it over, just helping at all the levels. Ill be around starting the 1st and Im planning on scoping out the parks, in the morning of course, since its gonna be hot as balls.

Drew

welcome to NC.

The course is schedule to be installed in phase 2 from what I hear. They are just finishing up phase 1.

However about 5-10 minutes away is another course. I drove out there once just to see if i could find it. If I ever have a chance to play it, I am going to be bringing some loppers because it looks like there isn't anyone that really takes care of the course.

Yeah...pretty sure it is called Northeast Park. It is off of Hicone.