• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keeping Score?

The more information you have on any given round the more meaningful data analysis will be after the round is over. However, just keeping a single score for each round can lead to some incorrect analysis. If you really want to improve, you'll need to know exactly what skills you need to develop to get your scores down. Just working to lower your overall score on one or two courses could lead to "home-course-itis" where you're good on your home courses, but can run into situations on other courses that have a big, negative impact on your score.

Here's a little article about working on skills rather than scores:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/measureskills.shtml

I have always kept score, I don't see any reason to play otherwise. I didn't save my scores until this site came along but now I record all my scores here.

I keep score in my head, and if playing with a group we all remember each others scores unless someone brought a card with them. If it's only 3-4 people it's not too difficult to remember: par, 1 under, 2 under, par. Especially if you play by tourney rules and best shots go first in lineup.

I don't keep track of total scores, though I might do that. I do keep track of my personal best though on most courses, not on paper just remember it.

Scoring doesn't have to be every hole either. When my brother and I play, I usually jot down a score after every nine holes. We can easily remember what we shot for nine holes -- especially if you are both paying attention... but 18 starts to stretch the memory, so we jot down nine holes at a time, then reset our mental count to zero and start counting the back nine.

This also encourages a mental reset from the front to the back... sometimes if playing bad on the front, being able to write the score down and mentally "reset" to zero helps play better on the back.

What people forget -- especially when they triple or quadruple putt a hole -- is that it shouldn't affect their mental game for the next hole. Playing through frustration is one of the biggest things that helps improve scores overall. Play each shot as if it is your first shot. Players skillsets don't change during a single round, but mental game can change 1000 times in a single round. Mental endurance is one of the most important elements to playing well consistently.

Is there a good iphone app that stores trends and everything like this site does? I hate to say it, but the app called "disc golf" is a waste of money even at $1. It doesn't even have a scorecard view where you can see at one glance what you shot on each hole.

I enter all my scores here. The good thing is that when I was preparing for a tournament... I could see what holes I had lots of penalty strokes on... I could ease off a little on my drive and take the ob sidewalk out of play. Go to a putter on the drive and take the river on the left out of play. Throw a little harder on another hole because the river actually wasn't an issue... So, it really helped me, I through a little bit better than my average at the tournament, which counting the pressure, I thought was great!

Also, If you have a course where they don't move the pins around... It is a great way to watch your improvement. Especially if you are a premium member! Also, one course they shorten up the holes in the winter and lengthen them out in the summer. Now that more people are keeping their scores on DGCR, the course monthly averages reflect that. So, there is benefits to all of us users of DGCR when you and everybody else records your scores. We can see the changes in the courses and how it effects our scores!

Absolutely keeping score, every round I've ever played is logged here on the DGCR scorebook as well as a spreadsheet kept at home. (Tim, when's that DGCR Scorebook export feature coming?) It's nice to be able to see the improvements over time.

I write down the scores for the group I'm playing with. They get my putter out of the basket while I write down the scores. I make the scoresheets on excel and copy and paste to get a page full and print them, cut them and put them in my bag. I trimmed an old clipboard down so it fits in the front pocket.

I keep my score even though I have been teased about it by some of the local pros. I have a spreadsheet that works really well for me and I also imput my scores here on DGCR so that others can get a feel for how tough a course really is. I figure my average score would make others feel better about themselves. It has also been cool to see my improvement over time. I can see when I am in a slump more easily and can start to ask myself the questions as to what I need to do to turn things around. Yesterday was a good turn around day for me.

Keeping Score

I used to never keep score, being a fairly relaxed player. Starting this year, I began just keeping track of bogeys and birdies, so i know how i much i was over par. The problem is most disc courses just throw everything into a par 3, and never put thought into it. It is much easier on well kept courses that have it pro-rated.

It seems ridiculous to me that some of you will spend your time registering on this site and posting hundreds of times but you don't keep score...? I can understand if you are out playing by yourself and throwing more than one disc on a hole and not keeping score but I would hope that most of you don't always play by yourself and keep your score. What is the point of playing if your not keeping score? I know that some of you will say exercise blah blah but if you are reading a forum about disc golf...you obviously care about it more than the exercise. It actually boggles my mind that you guys will spend 10 to 20 dollars on a single disc and not track how well you are doing.

It seems ridiculous to me that some of you will spend your time registering on this site and posting hundreds of times but you don't keep score...? I can understand if you are out playing by yourself and throwing more than one disc on a hole and not keeping score but I would hope that most of you don't always play by yourself and keep your score. What is the point of playing if your not keeping score? I know that some of you will say exercise blah blah but if you are reading a forum about disc golf...you obviously care about it more than the exercise. It actually boggles my mind that you guys will spend 10 to 20 dollars on a single disc and not track how well you are doing.

Not everybody takes the sport as a competition. I started playing purely for the enjoyment something to do outside. Some people don't do it to get a good score, and I would find it pretty hollow if that's what I had to do to have fun. I can shoot the worst round of my life and still have a good time.

I recently started caring about tourneys and such, so score is a little more important to me now than in the past, but it doesn't mean I have to keep score all the time to practice and improve. Knowing that I shot -4 or whatever doesn't help me place better in my next tournament, getting out and playing rounds does.

The only time your score matters is if you're competing and it's good enough for you to win something. I'm almost never in that situation (you have to actually attend tournaments to win), so I don't keep score. I'm more concerned with improving my skills, which I find fun to work on, than my score, which does me no good.

In short, I play because like to throw discs, not because I like counting. Some people like how counting corresponds to throwing discs, but I don't care about that part of the game.

I. like a lot of you, keep score every single time I play, but the way I do it is a little unique. I just take a pencil and paper and if I get a three on a hole, I don't write anything down. If I get anything else, I right down the hole number and the score. Being that I am ok at driving but stink at putting, I tend to get a lot of three's which means I don't have to write anything down :)

Not everybody takes the sport as a competition. [...]
I like this quote that a friend told me once... "There are those that play disc golf for the sport/competition, and there are those that play disc golf for the culture."

I like this quote that a friend told me once... "There are those that play disc golf for the sport/competition, and there are those that play disc golf for the culture."

That is probably the best way that I've ever heard it phrased.

I am certainly in the "sport group and as such I can't fathom playing and not keeping score. Whe I play basketball or racquetball at the gym we keep score. If i play by myself i still keep score to test myself. I do love that i am out getting exercise but a walk will do that and I live the sport of DG

Latest posts