• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keeping Score?

What are you going to do when you're in a tournament and you have a few bad holes? Part of learning disc golf is learning to deal with a few bad holes.. keeping score will test you with that.. I've seen some people getting totally PO'ed and refuse to play anymore.. there's no way they'd do good in a tournament setting. I agree that there are times when it's not necessary to keep score (working on a particular aspect of your game) but there are also times you should keep score. It shouldn't be all or none.

Believe me, anytime I play, there are usually at least a few holes where I do badly. My argument is that knowing the actual score doesn't change anything. I just try and remember what shots worked and what shots didn't, or what holes I did badly on, and why. I generally only keep score when there's something riding on the outcome, and keep a cheat sheet of what I need to work on otherwise

They say that in Golf (ball or Disc) that you are really playing against yourself, but if you don't keep score how do you know how you doing at all? I always keep score alone AND with friends. I will on occasion throw multiple discs when alone, but I always score the first throw. This way I can work on improving, BUT I always know my true first score, this way I know how I am improving or not.

if it is a course i play all the time, i can remember shot for shot the entire round...i leave the pencil and paper to the tourneys..knowing how you shot doesn't improve your practice/skills any..

What are you going to do when you're in a tournament and you have a few bad holes? Part of learning disc golf is learning to deal with a few bad holes.. keeping score will test you with that.. I've seen some people getting totally PO'ed and refuse to play anymore.. there's no way they'd do good in a tournament setting.

I see what you're saying, but the only time you really know you're doing bad based on the score is when you play the course a lot. In those cases, I know I had a bad hole and can remember what I did on it and why it went bad. Essentially agreeing with 80played:
if it is a course i play all the time, i can remember shot for shot the entire round...i leave the pencil and paper to the tourneys..knowing how you shot doesn't improve your practice/skills any..

The second part (I already deleted what you put so I'm not putting it back) I agree with. It isn't an all or nothing debate. If you genuinely do want to get better competitively (this being the key word) you should keep score at least occasionally. It may not be necessary, but I don't think it could hurt anything. Its just a couple of extra seconds between holes.

All said and done, I don't keep track of very many rounds. I'll sometimes keep track of +1, -1, etc to know my overall score on the round (very rarely though). I do intend to start doing it more often though, if only for the scorebook function of this site. All in all, do what you have fun with. If you like to keep score, do it. If not, don't. It isn't a big issue at all.

I keep score because I like to look at my stats. And by puting the date I played, I can go to my wife and say "See, I really don't play as much as you think I do. Can I go play today?"

They say that in Golf (ball or Disc) that you are really playing against yourself, but if you don't keep score how do you know how you doing at all? I always keep score alone AND with friends. I will on occasion throw multiple discs when alone, but I always score the first throw. This way I can work on improving, BUT I always know my true first score, this way I know how I am improving or not.

Amen

Latest posts