• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keeping "YOUR" course clean...

We have trash can spread out all over our course and people still refuse to use them. Luckily we have a really good club so everyday there is always a good handful of responsible golfers going out and playing and getting the more noticeable trash to the trashcans.

What we have done in the past is, When you have a group of people playing give everyone a bag and have them pick up while they play. The one with the most trash when the round is done gets some kind of a prize. It could be a disc or cd or it could be a gag prize. Ya never know. We sure do get lots of trash picked up though!

If the course is in a public park and has been installed in part with Parks Dept. money, I would be interested if there were trashcans in other areas of the park that are maintained by Parks Dept. employees. If there are trashcans near picnic areas, playgrounds, etc. that the Parks Dept. maintains, I'm sure that something could be worked out to allow a few cans to be placed on the DG course -- maybe not every hole, but one every 3 or 4 holes would be nice. Depending on the course, I think 5 to 6 large (35-gallon plus, 55-gallon drums optimal in my opinion) cans would be sufficient.

guess noone understnads carry in/carry out...cans cost money...emptying them costs money...

yea, the courses actually stay pretty clean in my area. With the 5cent rebate on each can/bottle in Iowa, people keep their cans and bottles more. I carry mine out and it goes into a bag for redemption, or I toss it in a trash can. Those trashcans are usually checked by a few elderly people (homeless?) for the cans in which they take back to get money.

I've noticed more litter on courses since I moved to Minnesota.

Highly used courses build up enough litter to merit having a trash can. When there are about 60 people on a course at any given point on busier days, and typically 25+, the trash builds up at a unbelievable rate. People litter and it isn't something normal people can control, short of informing people they see doing so. Dealing with your own trash just isn't enough to keep a course clean in our society.

this isn't limited to disc golf courses, it's a huge problem, I see 3-5 fastfood bags full of trash on the street every day

eventually we'll be living in a dump

trashcans @ tees would be a big help, there might be 3 at my local course, but ive seen parks with none, not even in the parkinglot.

trashcans @ tees would be a big help, there might be 3 at my local course, but ive seen parks with none, not even in the parkinglot.

yeah, they don't work in a lot of cases. 80playedin10states has stated and I have seen trash right next to trash cans, and I have seen courses with lots of trash cans and lots of trash.

Doesn't make sense.

A few times I have lost my empty water bottle(it falls out of my holder easily), so to make up I pick up 2 pieces of trash, but the bulk of the trash seems to be beer cans. Go figure.

Part of the problem in a lot of parks I see if that the trash is often collected by a garbage truck. These trucks in most cases cannot go off road to collect from containers that are not by the parking area or a road, so as a result the parks don't make any available at off road locations, and when they do, they get overfilled. Its not just at DG courses that I see this.

If they have trash cans, somebody has to empty them, which costs money. That has always been the problem with them. At the same time, people (especially drinking rec players) don't always follow "Carry in, carry out." There isn't a flawless system.

It's not my property so why keep it clean. I'm to lazy to walk 10 feet to the can. other people litter, ole well I might as well litter to.

Thats what the problems are.

Lack of respect and lazzieness.

Trash is one of my peeves and I try to pick up as often as I can. There are times that it is just to much. Ultimately, it is a matter of pride and moral obligation but to many people travel through the world like they are the only ones in it. :mad:

I also had an old friend that when I gave him grief about littering urn to me and said, " Hey, I might need that job picking up litter sometime." I had no good response. :eek:

EVERY BEVERAGE CONTAINER SHOULD HAVE A DEPOSIT ON IT. I guarantee it would greatly reduce the amount of garbage left on courses, which would make it easier for park personnel and/or volunteers to control the remaining garbage (wrappers and stuff).

I live in Michigan, where there's a 10 cent deposit on all beer and soda containers. A dime doesn't seem like much, but on the courses I play regularly, people come through with big trash bags to pick up returnable containers - and ONLY returnable containers - even sifting through the trash cans to get them. The lousy dime deposit works!! I see it every round I play, because 99% of the containers on the ground are from drinks you don't have to pay a deposit for: water bottles, ice tea, Gatorade, Propel, etc.:mad: I only see a few beer or soda cans, and they'll get picked up when the next person comes to fill up their bag – and they don't even play the game. It's strictly for the money – they just go where the pickins' are good. I bet they also hit boat ramps and other places where people drink.

I wish they'd put a deposit on everything, but the retailers who have to accept that stuff back say it costs them money: for store personnel to handle the containers and refunds, or the collection machines, as well as temporary in store storage (which, in theory, could be put to more profitable use than container storage) until they can be picked up for recycling – all valid points. That's why they don't want to expand it to other types beverages. But we have to find ways to do better, and the bottom line is a small deposit on containers works – those containers get recycled, not left on the courses. IMO the fact that someone may be doing it for profit only makes it a win-win.

I used to think "Our society will become 'green' when it becomes economically feasible." Not true. With a few exceptions here and there, our society won't become "green" until it's simply too painful (economically) not to.

I play at C.P.Adams in Hastings,MN---and there are many, MANY "younger" players that enjoy the course... I play just about every morning between 8-9 am... On days after a nice day, my group will pick up between 2-5 bags of garbage(cans, bottles, food wrappers, ect.) Now these are NOT 13 gallon bags, but they are larger than a bag from a Wal-Mart or Target store... What(IF ANYTHING) can be done to keep the course clean??? We have tried to get the city to put out more garbage cans, but they have yet to help us out... It is very frustrating to have to carry a garbage bag as well as your disc golf bag!!!

I can't say I carry a trash bag, but I do have a pocket and cupholder dedicated on my fade touring bag for trash. I always come on the course with it empty, and unload it at the trashcan by the parking lot. It's not too terribly much, but picking up some trash is better than leaving it there.

I pick up any litter I see on a course. Not just my local courses, but courses I travel to play as well. I can't stand people who litter on or off the course. I can never understand how anyone can litter, why would you want to look at trash all over the place? One of my favorite things about disc golf is getting the chance to go out and enjoy the beautiful parks that our course are in and how people have the nerve to ruin this is beyond me. I definitely think that handing out more fines for littering would help out and I also think that the folks who maintain our courses/parks, whether it be the local club or the parks and rec department should also be allowed to ban people who are caught littering in the park or on the course.

Our local course as multiple cans (4 or more) near teeboxes. There are made from wood and UFO discgolf club has someone responsible for emptying them. The course stays very clean.

-Adam

sad to be cynical

My local course in Tully, MA is pretty clean compared to some courses I do see. Never the less you don't have to look far to see cans, bottles, granola bar wrappers, etc. lying around. There are 2 trash cans out now at 7 and 14 and they do receive a lot of use.
Here's my gripe. I'm an avid proponent of if you can carry it in full then you should be able to carry it out empty. At this point it can't be nievety, it can only be ignorance. What gets me most is the people that purposely throw it into the bushes to hide it so no one (I'm assuming including them) has to or can see the trash. I personally don't litter at all. But I'm passed believing that people are going to change their habbits if we keep cleaning up after them. Like I said it's ignorance. How many signs do you have to ignore or media for that matter, to know that you shouldn't throw your trash around. So be it. Therefore I go out of my way and leave any trash lying around and will pull stuff out of the bushes and throw it in the middle of the trail. Unfortunately, most do gooders pick up the trash instead of letting it accumulate and allowing those who want to play in a dump, play in a dump. Who knows, maybe we'll be finding medical waste on the back nine soon. It's either that or (I hate to use the word) some real policing by course supporters to expose the evil ones. Anywho, thats my thoughts. Sad to be cynical

Devens MA seems to be really good with the trash. Today I only picked up one cup of water (starbucks iced coffee cup with water in it) that was left at a tee and a rusted can that someone decided to "decorate" a basket with.

I think the best way to fight litter is to make it part of the culture of the course. Promote "pack it out" with signs at the course. Clean up days. Even provide plastic bags at the course for those that don't have any (I'm currently working on a bag holder for Devens). Litter attracts litter. A constantly littered course will simply drive away the "good" people.