• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kitty Hawk Area

Lutty

Was hopin to get some Discin' while on vacation. Any1 know of some courses that are worth making the drive for? Searches have turned up many, was just hoping for some "local" help. I'm staying in the 27949 zip code.

Kitty Hawk - Isn't that the location of the original redneck lifestye?
Orville slams a beer and says to Wilbur, "Hey watch this?"

you seem to have two options SW seems to have some nice NC courses, haven't played them yet to comment though. your other option the VA beach area, all are fun courses depending on what you like, the nicest in the area is New quarter.

I was just going to post this same thread for Duck, NC (also 27949). But all I was able to find was this list that's like 30+ miles out.

gottafixit or anybody else know of anything closer (and can include a link to the course)?

Munden Point in Va. Beach is the closest course to the Outer Banks I'm pretty sure. It's in the still rural southern part of Va. Beach and is not far from the NC line. It's a nice course, though perhaps not quite distinctive enough to lure too many people away from a day on vacation in the Outer Banks.

I've always been a little surprised there's not one closer in Eastern NC, but that's a relatively sparsely populated area, so I guess the demand isn't there yet.

I was just going to post this same thread for Duck, NC (also 27949). But all I was able to find was this list that's like 30+ miles out.

gottafixit or anybody else know of anything closer (and can include a link to the course)?

thats the list I know of, but NC has alot of Home grown courses that aren't listed so I would give a search for that. As for the ones on the list I can only speak for the VA courses, and I would say if your going to make a day of it then it's worth driving to New Quarter and anything around there would be fun too.

The closest course to the OB may be in Elizabeth City at Fun Junktion. Their website still lists a disc golf course, but I'm not positive it's still in the ground. They had 9 holes, then had to move it, and were developing it, and so on for years. I've never been there, but I'd sure like to know if the course is in play. If it is, we also need to add it to DGCR. Here's the info I have. It's taken from my NC Course Guide:

Elizabeth City
Fun Junktion Park

18 holes

Park Hours:
Summer Hours: Daily 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Hours: Daily 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

Directions:
In Pasquatank County
64 East… 17 East past Hertford. Right on Simpson Ditch Rd. to Fun Junktion. The course is near the park entrance

Jeff Simpson, Parks Director
983 Simpson Ditch Road
PO Box 39
Elizabeth City, NC 27907-0039
Tel: 252-337-6600
Cell: 252-339-7933
Email: [email protected]

http://www.co.pasquotank.nc.us/departments/park/funjunktion1.htm
Elizabeth City Area Chamber of Commerce <[email protected]>, Tel: 252-335-4365, www.albemarleedc.com, www.elizabethcitymag.com

The other closest NC course is in Williamston.

Williamston
Farm Life

SSA, original, 4136 ft. = 48.2
SSA, Alt course, 3580 ft. = 49.8

Directions: From Raleigh- Get on 64E. Near Williamston 64, 17, & 13 all run together so you have to exit to stay on 64 just as you're coming into Williamston. Take the 64E Plymouth exit, Exit 515 onto 64E. The speed here slows to 55 mph. Cross a bridge over "Sweet Water Creek". Go 1.5 miles to the first paved road and turn right on Holly Springs Church Rd. (Look for the church, Holly Springs Methodist, on the left.) Go about 7 miles on Holly Springs Church Rd, then at the yield sign make a hard right. (Look on the barn to the right and you'll see a sign for the course.) Turn right onto the small dirt road which is Kent Roberson Rd. (Don't turn onto 171.) Follow the road down to the pond next to a field.
· From the South- Left on 17N. Rt on 171. L on the dirt road, Kent Roberson Rd. (Holly Springs Church Rd. is too far.)
· Longitude: 35.74166N, Lat: 76.98559 W

Description: Tight, wooded course with many hazards (swamps, pond). Alt. pin placements make for 2 fun and challenging courses. Family farm setting.

Email: [email protected]

As was mentioned, Munden Point in VA Beach is also nearby. I'm not sure it's worth long drive, but maybe it is if you have to satisfy the itch to huck plastic. If you have the time I agree that New Quarter in Williamsburg is the most enjoyable course within driving distance.

For years there were rumors of a course at Nags Head, but those were only rumors. To my knowledge there are no other private courses closer than Williamston.

So it looks like I will be heading South to Kitty Hawk, NC this year instead of North to Maine.

I browsed the course map and was bummed to see that it's basically a dead zone. The closest course, Fun Junktion, Is deceased. The other closest courses are in the VA Beach area.

It looks like there's and very new course, Northwest River, close to Munden Point, that I played before. I guess those two will be where I primarily get to play as I don't want to have to travel too far to play. I don't want to cross the bay and deal with that traffic so I won't be going to New Quarter.

I might consider Ace Run and Ahoskie. Since this thread was so old I was hoping to see if anyone had any other, new, ideas for the area. Maybe some private, unlisted gems? :)

Thanks.

in VB there's no unlisted courses i know of anymore. there was last year but some kids lit a fire in the woods and the baskets were gone the next day. crossing the bay depends on the time of day.

Thanks. That's too bad, though, about the baskets getting pulled because of someone's ignorance.

I wonder if anyone on here is a student or staff member at VA Wesleyan who might be able to get me onto their course.

Plus there's Bennett's that I haven't played. And who knows, maybe I'll take my daughter and nieces and play Gates County. :gross: :p

Last edited:
for Virginia Wesleyan i park at a nearby church, never had a problem doing that. you can walk to the course from there its kinda a long walk but not too long. the church is hertitage united methodist church 815 Baker Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23462

for Virginia Wesleyan i park at a nearby church, never had a problem doing that. you can walk to the course from there its kinda a long walk but not too long. the church is hertitage united methodist church 815 Baker Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23462

Cool. Maybe I'll give that a shot. I went to the front entrance one time and got turned away. :(

I've played VA Wesleyan and wouldn't go out of my way to do it again. It wasn't horrible but just not worth the extra drive beyond Munden from OBX. Don't have any experience with Northwest. Even if I went that far I'd rather go on to Bayville - really small but lots of optional configs.

I've played VA Wesleyan and wouldn't go out of my way to do it again. It wasn't horrible but just not worth the extra drive beyond Munden from OBX. Don't have any experience with Northwest. Even if I went that far I'd rather go on to Bayville - really small but lots of optional configs.

Thanks. I was asking about VA Wesleyan just in case we end up at VA Beach for a little while and I have a little time to kill. It would be a new course for me, after all.

Wesleyan probably isn't worth the time. Bennetts creek isn't too bad, but pretty wooded and a bit of a drive up 664. If you are there be sure to make the trip out to captain chuckamucksfor some good food

One more, last ditch plea for help :D

Still taking any suggestions regarding courses.

And I was wondering if anyone had any more recent info on Fun Junktion. It's marked as deceased due to construction as of last November. Just wondering if there was any new infoi.

Thanks!

I wanted to play last year, however my friend who used to live at the beach told me it really wasn't worth my time to go to Fun Junktion. I did take my portable basket and made a mini course around the beach house, which gave me my DG fix.

And I was wondering if anyone had any more recent info on Fun Junktion.

Saw your review for FJ, and well, seems like learned what everyone else (seemingly) already knew about that course. There a reason nobody plays that course.

In your review, was a little surprised you seemed to be caught off guard by the drive time/distance factor from OBX to the course. One road one means a lot of driving out of the way to get back to the mainland.

Hopefully you didn't use up too many brownie points with the Mrs. wasting your time to play the course.

Saw your review for FJ, and well, seems like learned what everyone else (seemingly) already knew about that course. There a reason nobody plays that course.

In your review, was a little surprised you seemed to be caught off guard by the drive time/distance factor from OBX to the course. One road one means a lot of driving out of the way to get back to the mainland.

Hopefully you didn't use up too many brownie points with the Mrs. wasting your time to play the course.

I wasn't actually surprised by the length of time it took to get there. I was really just disappointed that I drove that long only to be really let down... even based upon previous reviews.

Most of the time, I enjoy even low rated courses and will play them multiple times. FJ was definitely an exception to that rule for me.

Plus the pictures made it look more interesting. That's why I pointed out in my review the the course has changed drastically since the pics were taken.

I went ahead and reviewed it since it hadn't been reviewed in about 3 years and I don't have any idea how long that it had been marked un-playable. I just wanted to let everyone know that it was, in fact, open... but that it's probably not worth the drive, IMO.

I'm not totally sorry that I played it. I mean, I did get to play a NC course and add another state to my list. I was actually happy to find out that the course was, in fact, still open. I looked the course up on FB and posted on there. A woman who went the the park actually replied very quickly that the course was still there.

Thanks for the reply, btw!

Last edited:

Latest posts