• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lake Stevens DGC (WA)

Trust me, I throw putts high on other baskets too. They just don't make that deflating metal "thunk" sound.

The 3-dimension putting description is dead on.

I was thinking about how cool the Lake Stevens baskets are, and how if you could set up the basket so it could be simply rotated on occasion you could change the way the hole plays without needing additional sleeves. Even better if they could show the direction of the basket when applicable, on the tee sign.

Yeah, I think that's always a good option - letting the people know where they're throwing. It's like putting a sign at the tee telling what the pin position is today, only telling them where the "guard chains" are instead. But it would be helpful to have signs to start with. (Now some guy out there is going to hand me a toolbag and set me to work on it).

One of the coolest things out there (speaking of tee signs) is at Tyler State Park. They have a little dial on each tee sign that you can rotate, and it says A, B, or C depending on the current pin position.

One of the coolest things out there (speaking of tee signs) is at Tyler State Park. They have a little dial on each tee sign that you can rotate, and it says A, B, or C depending on the current pin position.

My wife and I spent Jan-May of this year in Northern California and a few courses in that area did the same thing. Simple and effective. Another tee sign option I saw was just a bunch of holes that were labeled A, B, C, etc. and they would simply put a bolt and a nut through the letter that corresponded to the pin location.

Hell, if you built the sign right, you could just put the holes in their actual position on the map now that I think about it.

Pins, bolts,dowels, sliders, dial-a-position, etc....

Work great until "that guy" comes through and thinks... "It'd be really cool to mess with the signs.... hey check this out...I just put it on the wrong position [snicker]... better yet, I'll just snap off the arrow dial...that'll be awesome"

combo lock through the position hole... now we're onto something.

I was thinking about how cool the Lake Stevens baskets are, and how if you could set up the basket so it could be simply rotated on occasion you could change the way the hole plays without needing additional sleeves.
Some of the baskets, like #12, DO rotate.
This can be a trouble maker in competition, because you can spin it before the next guy shoots, "accidentally" of course :D, and totally destroy his chance of making the putt.

All 19 baskets are different, with #14 being the only one thats in a "traditional" chain configuration.
Years of playing has forced me to adapt some unique putting techniques just for Lake Stevens.

I tend to almost always overthrow #7 LHBH. The back side of the basket is protected with two vertical crossbars, with a web of chains interlaced between them.
There is no actual shot at dropping in the basket, but I found that I can hold my putter vertical, with all my fingers spread eagle inside the rim, and literally pancake it against the chains and stick it. We all know that a disc supported by the chains is legally holed out, so it counts.

Some baskets will only accept a putt if its thrown vertical, like this " l " between the posts and chain webbing, like a tommy putt.

Smaller diameter putters will snake through gaps in the webbing that bigger lid style putters will not on some of the holes.
If you practiced throwing your putter into a tube that was slightly larger in diameter than a disc, you would be better prepared for some of the narrow gaps you will face in a typical round here.

Sometimes its better to just throw really hard, then hope and pray the disc finds a way home. :)

Here is #19,
6024255405_e1d7c6721b_m.jpg

an easy one as far as they go, but still will deny plenty of shots that hit any of the evil crossbars.

I tend to almost always overthrow #7 LHBH. The back side of the basket is protected with two vertical crossbars, with a web of chains interlaced between them.
There is no actual shot at dropping in the basket, but I found that I can hold my putter vertical, with all my fingers spread eagle inside the rim, and literally pancake it against the chains and stick it. We all know that a disc supported by the chains is legally holed out, so it counts.

After I tried to jack one right through a similar set up on a different hole, one of the locals showed me basically the same thing. Although he simply tossed his disc upside down and kind of tried to just let it hit dead flat again the guard chains so that it would slide down to where the chains met the lower basket.

This course is a different kind of animal. I like the variety, keeps things interesting. My brother in law is coming to town in a week or so, I'm thinking he needs to play this one just for the experience. Although the closer courses (Seatac, White River, and Lakewood) will have to come first.

My only real complaint about those baskets was that i didn't know the course so a couple of beautiful lay ups lead to near impossible putts(snuck a couple in the wrong way :). If had a local to shoot with to let you know 'gotta lay up on the rt side' would be fine. I dig that course alot and baskets weren't near as annoying the 2nd time through when knew a little better what to expect. My daughter liked this one alot because it is scenic and shorter, don't need a huge arm.

I'm hoping to make Mon nite doubles one of these times.

i played out there for the first time this past weekend. the course was beautiful as far the the trees and the underbrush goes, but it was really confusing sometimes as to which of the three holes up and to the left I was supposed to be going for. i didn't mind the guard chains so much, i thought it was an interesting twist to the course which kind of made it more technical due to the short distances of a lot of the holes.