• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] lat 64 plastic stability

pzacch05

Par Member
i have been tinkering with the river and the vision lately both 168 gold lines. i love the glide on both discs and honestly having the lighter weights has made it easier for me to get decent distance. im worried when these break in that they will become too flippy. i was wondering if 168 optos would be good compliments to these or if there is a better option.

Gold line plastic doesn't break in much at all. I have some GL discs that are pretty much the same stability now as when I got them over a year ago.

The fact that these do not break in much or at all is why I got the test run material. I want one that would actually beat in nicely. My GL River has met many a rock and tree....its flies the exact same as new. I wouldn't worry.;)

Opto is usually much more stable. Going from a GL striker to an Opto in the same weight was like buying a different disc.

GL really doesn't break in that much. Hit a metal basball pole out in a park about 15' at a full speed drive with a gl flow and chipped the pole, not the disc my flow still flies like it did before hand. Just saying they are pretty damn durable.

Opto is usually much more stable. Going from a GL striker to an Opto in the same weight was like buying a different disc.

My experience has shown that it generally has to do with the dome of lat64 discs. A disc with more dome will be more stable than a disc of the same mold with less dome. Plastic doesn't really matter, although it does seem that GL seems to be the one that comes out flatter more often than opto

Even the Opto can be flat to super domey. I lost an Opto River that had the highest dome I ever saw on one. Have yet to find another like it. My current Opto River has half the dome of the lost River.

ive thrown alot of latitude stuff, and opto seems to come out more stable. whoever said something about the dome on lat discs is right. i had a domey opto flow that was pretty stable. i also had a gold line flow that was flat and real flippy. IMO the black gold line discs are the least stable of the bunch,

My Lat64/Westside stuff is generally all over the board. I've got domey flippy stuff and I've got flatter and stable too. However, it's a good general rule with them that domey Opto/VIP is going to be more on the stable side, where flatter GL/Tournament is less.

As far as durability, I've absolutely BEAT both GL and Opto and they're barely showing signs of wear or significant change in flight characteristics. It's no wonder why the other companies are trying to emulate that plastic.

I haven't thrown much Opto, but I've tossed my fair share of Gold Line Plastic. I haven't noticed any difference in flight charateristics between my 3 Strikers. I have beaten 2 in nicely and just started throwing the third in field practice. I also have 3 GL Flows which I have just started throwing. One is black and is definately the least stable of them. I have a GL River which is still slightly used and a Test Run River that has knocked a few trees now. There doesn't seem to be much of a flight difference between my Rivers, both at 171g and understable perfection.

Listen to the domey/flat thing for Euro plastic...it isn't thee rule of thumb, but it is more so than Z vs. ESP, for instance. I have both domey GL and domey Opto River's, and all are stable and understable [read: no consistencies between plastic/dome]. Same goes with Flow's, and Fuse's, but I haven't really handled more than one or two of any other Euro mold. I love their plastic, why do their engines have to suck so bad;)

/empties inbox for all Vdub fans

In my experience, Opto tends to be a little more stable, but does eventually wear in a little bit. Gold line doesn't change it's flight pattern much, but tends to run less stable than Opto. Definitely be on the look out about the domey-ness. My flat Halo is money like a good Destroyer, but my brother's domey halo flies like an ape.

I want to revive this thread!

So stability figured so far high to low: Frost - opto - gold? ;)

Also seems to be a matter or trimmings?

i agree with the peeps who say GL doesn't season/beat in much at all, my GL Flow flies exactly the same after much beating, after the new flight/feel was knocked off, it's flight stabilized and doesn't change-
I am a huge fan of GL plastic

GL beats in as much or more than any other premium plastic for me.

Im with you on this.

Opto was much more durable. My old opto saints were the same after a year of workhorse driving. Gold line became the turning one for fat s lines.

Retro is garbage plastic, and a contender for worst baseline plastic right along with discraft's pro d.

GL beats in as much or more than any other premium plastic for me.

Totally agree. I was stunned as I read through this thread to hear all the people saying Gold Line doesn't beat in.

I have several Gold Line Rivers... the one I've used the most has beaten in to a super-understable turnover disc. I throw it even on a hyzer and it flips up, turns over, and goes right (RHBH throw). I bag it mainly for those dogleg-right holes where I absolutely need a turnover disc. Another GL River isn't as flippy... yet. I haven't used it as much, either.

I have three Gold Line Furys. The yellow one is my main one, and it has become a flippy turnover disc. The pink one is not as broken in, so it only turns over a little bit. I've replaced the Fury with the Star Sidewinder in my bag.

My Gold Line Flow is still somewhat overstable for me, but I haven't thrown it a lot. It's a good disc. My GL Saint is not the stable-to-overstable disc it was fresh out of the box. It's lost a lot of fade. If I used it more, I suspect it would get to near-turnover status.

Opto takes longer to break in, but it WILL break in (unlike Champion plastic, which seems to hold its flight characteristics forever). Opto feels like a gummy version of Champ, so I don't buy Opto discs too much... except the Pure. My Opto Pure has held serve fairly well, but is getting straighter and with less fade at the end.

I love the feel of Gold Line, but it does beat in, and in some cases a lot.

Remember that this is a thread revived from 2012. Maybe the GL that Lat64 was producing 5 years ago was a bit more durable than GL today. I'm no expert on Latitude plastics, but most companies' blends change subtly over time...

In my experience GL does initially beat in faster than opto when just knocking the new off the disc. But once it gets to that point it stays there for a long time. It takes a longer time to beat the new off of opto but once done it also stays that way for a long time. I've been pleasantly surprised by the durability of Frost/Elasto. Very durable with a bit of added stability. Totally agree that in general most stable to least is frost>opto>gold but obviously there are exceptions (domey is generally more stable).

Interesting!

I bet my heavy gold River will fly like a dream once it gets some more turn beaten into it. Already me go-to driver.

Also I'm super pumped to get up to speed/break in the opto flow I bought today, flies very overstable for me at 275'-speed but already there it does get some nice glide.

Missed a free birdie today on a downhill hole, the river just kept gliding and went ob... ;)

Latest posts