• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude Overmolds

In my experience with overmold discs, mostly MVP and Axiom, they take forever to break in. Mainly in my mids, I like to have a couple molds with one seasoned one and one more fresh, and maybe even different plastics. I'm starting to carry that trend in to my drivers. I used to not care, but as my discs break in and lose stability, and I add a newer one of the same mold, Im starting to see why people like having fewer molds. Its not something I was ever able to do when throwing MVP discs. I also noticed that regardless of the plastic, the stability seems to be the same. Not a bad thing at all, but I like having the ability to have a couple plastics that fly a bit differently. Like my Champ and DX Thunderbird. The Champ is a straight flight with a good fade. The DX is a straight flight with little fade. The only MVP disc I've ever been able to do this with is the Volt. I had a Neutron and Fission and they paired very well together.

So the overmold does have effects? :D

......... :|

touche sir

I suppose my initial comment shouldn't have been so generic and rather should have said something like, the overmold has no effect in the short term. It makes them no better or worse off the shelf than non overmolds off the shelf. But if you're looking for a disc that holds its stability for damn near eternity then the overmolds will help you in finding such a disc. Due to my preferences in what I bag and why, the overmolds dont fit me well.

I CAN see that being a good thing with putters. Throwing putters or putting putters. I dont cycle putters, I have one for throwing and one/two for putting. The Ion was good for both and since it never lost stability, could fit the role of being thrown and used for putts. So eh... maybe an overmold Judge or Pure could be of interest... IF the plastic is the same Zero Medium/Hard but with an overmold rim.

So what about MVP's patent? How long will it take to go into effect? Or will it even be granted? And what does that mean for Gateway discs that have higher density overmolds, and for these new Lats, if that's their plan?

Pretty sure Dave at Gateway showed MVP how to do overmolds because he was working on them. Next thing you know, out comes the Ion. I would think MVP should at least leave Gateway alone

Pretty sure Dave at Gateway showed MVP how to do overmolds because he was working on them. Next thing you know, out comes the Ion. I would think MVP should at least leave Gateway alone

Seems like it's taken him a long time to release one if he was already working on it before MVP got started.

That's not true at all. They already had the Ion and the factory had been overmolding for decades. They allowed him up to see the factory and discuss making things for him, but his methods of disc making were not relevant to how MVP was making discs. There are PDGA forum posts where MVP is showing the Ion and Dave offers to come show them how he does it. Those methods are great for the Wizards we know and love, but he had zero impact on MVP as is claimed by a lot of Gateway fans. He talked about a lot of ideas that hadn't been implemented on the PDGA forum, including weight distribution, but he did not show MVP how to make their discs or invent the methods MVP uses to mold a nose cone overmold. There are some extremely knowledgeable techs at Maple Valley who deserve a lot more credit for those methods than a dude who brainstormed to a forum.

Latitude makes nice discs ill be curious to see what these are all about. Price will be a big factor. Their retail stuff is some of highest with opto/gl already and overmolding is not easier/cheaper.

I gave MVP a really good long look on a decent number of molds, but eventually only ever used a couple regularly (impulse and inertia) and now I bag none. My biggest struggle with them and (maybe?) overmolds is that they were great in calm conditions, but their supposedly overstable molds did not handle wind well, which is a must for TX golf. I was never sure if it was bc of them being overmolds or what, but could never find the reliability that you need to feel comfortable in the wind. That said, I loved their straight/understable, understable drivers... impulse was a great roller, inertia was a great neutral driver.

Interested to see how L64 does with these.

I call BS on handling wind re:MVP.

People have claimed for a long time MVPs have less glide for 1 and 2 they make some major OS molds that kill any wind. I dont even bag those super OS molds given how well the gyro molds hold a hyzer line.

Volt/tesla were doing work in 25mph winds. I might break out a motion or photon on shorter holes. Hell people used to claim MVP cant make a OS or US mold... Lulz

the Pure is not broken.. why overmold it?

unless there is a specific purpose or flight pattern they are trying to get where they think gyro will work better, i dont see the reason to adopt a more expensive production process.

Last edited:
I have to agree with aim the couple of MVP drivers I had held up quite well in windy conditions

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

I gave MVP a really good long look on a decent number of molds, but eventually only ever used a couple regularly (impulse and inertia) and now I bag none. My biggest struggle with them and (maybe?) overmolds is that they were great in calm conditions, but their supposedly overstable molds did not handle wind well, which is a must for TX golf. I was never sure if it was bc of them being overmolds or what, but could never find the reliability that you need to feel comfortable in the wind. That said, I loved their straight/understable, understable drivers... impulse was a great roller, inertia was a great neutral driver.

Interested to see how L64 does with these.

Hah, sounds like you should try an Energy or Resistor. Resistor is a cornerstone of my bag, and the Energy is so overstable it barely goes anywhere unless I put it on a flex line.

Hell last time I threw golf in Texas I rocked a max weight Crave for most shots.

Yeah, I don't get the wind claim. If I played in more wind, I'd have more MVP in my regular bag. Glide has been the issue for me. I cannot throw high properly. If a disc requires height for distance, I'm screwed.

Hah, sounds like you should try an Energy or Resistor. Resistor is a cornerstone of my bag, and the Energy is so overstable it barely goes anywhere unless I put it on a flex line.

Hell last time I threw golf in Texas I rocked a max weight Crave for most shots.

Maybe? I'm specifically thinking about a Tesla not handling wind as well as a PD.

I call BS on handling wind re:MVP.

People have claimed for a long time MVPs have less glide for 1 and 2 they make some major OS molds that kill any wind. I dont even bag those super OS molds given how well the gyro molds hold a hyzer line.

Volt/tesla were doing work in 25mph winds. I might break out a motion or photon on shorter holes. Hell people used to claim MVP cant make a OS or US mold... Lulz

I'll have to trust your word more than mine, as you're the resident MVP expert. To be fair, I was testing these relatively early into my playing and am always trying to navigate how to play in the winds we have out here (gusts of 30-40 often times), so you may be very well right.