• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Learn to throw Anhyser or get an understable disc?

Ale 8

I am at the point in my game (only 5 months in) that I can not throw an anhyser (either not strong enough or poor form, improper disc, etc). So would it be in my best interest to look into more understable discs? I have an Avenger SS and an Archangel. I was looking at something like a Wolf or Mamba, but with my noodle arm didn't know if it would be worth it or not.

I'm going to recommend something I wish I did when I was starting out - practice throwing all of your shots with a neutral putter. Hyzers, anhyzers, S-curves, forehand - learning all of those shots will help improve your game.

To throw anhyzer, try leaning back, pulling a little higher, and following through low. Keep your follow through on the same plane that you threw the disc. When you master this throw with putters, work your way up to midranges and faster discs.

Avenger SS and Archangel should turn from a flat throw if you get them up to speed. It probably takes a throw of about 250-275' to start seeing some turn. You may need to start with slower discs and work your way up as you master the technique.

Good luck!

Excellent advice from Monocracy. Even better, those putter shots will save you many, many strokes.

Play a game of catch with a buddy to practice throwing those putter lines. It's fun and a nice warm up before a round.

I'm still pretty new to the game (a year and a half in), and this was the hardest shot for me to learn.

First, recognize that turnovers and annys are a hard shot, period. Even the pros generally feel more comfortable avoiding them when possible. It's a tricky balance of release angle, release power, and release height to get the right kind of turnover/anny you're looking for. So first, don't discourage.

This was the first shot I really drilled. I would loop a set of four holes at my home course that all feature different kinds of turnover/anny shots repeatedly. I've put a good amount of time into learning this shot, and only in the last two or three months have I really started to get confident and consistent with them. And it's still relative: I botch the throw all the time, either turning over a disc too much or not giving it enough and watching it fade out in dismay.

So, practice is the answer, as always.

That said: the Underworld was the first disc that turned naturally and reliably for me. Back in March, when I couldn't get Rivers to reliably hold an anny line, the Underworld did exactly what I asked it to. It was a godsend, and opened up a lot of lines for my game. It was my doorway to a turnover show. Nine months later, I've gained about 50' in distance, and suddenly am throwing the Underworld much, much less. Increasingly, the River is all the understability I need. I'm not ready to ditch Underworlds yet - I'm pretty sure there are still shots I prefer them on, and it's just that my home courses don't feature these kinds of lines - but, your disc preferences often change, especially in the early goings as you increase your distance fairly rapidly.

So, if you're looking for a disc recommendation, mine would be the Underworld, in either plastic (Tournament will be more understable - at this point, I only really reach for my max weight VIPs, which are a bit more stable (but just a bit)). Beyond that, don't discourage, and realize that RHBH left-to-right shots are some of the trickiest in the game!

Good luck!

An anny should be thrown with a stable disc

A turnover should be thrown with a flippy under stable disc

They are not really the same shot or the same line

My advice learn both

The guy that said throw putters for a while?

Listen to him, and your game will improve 5x as fast.

My advice learn both

The guy that said throw putters for a while?

Listen to him, and your game will improve 5x as fast.

both of these.

play catch with a putter and only throw anhyzers for a half hour. you will learn a lot! start at 60-70' and work your way out from there.

My advice learn both

This. You'll want to know how to throw both shots. Its all about release angles.

lots of good advice in this thread, I would also recommend learning how to throw FH shots, which will supplement the need to go same direction as your anny's.

Last edited:
I learned pretty quick from 20-40 yards. Set a target out slightly behind/next to a tree forcing you to come in with anhyser. Understable mids and putters worked the best for me. It just takes practice. Find your favorite disc for those 3/4 to 1/2 shots. You will need that shot on the course.

It's interesting we are discussing putters as a practice tool. I have been putting low lately and went to a short 6 hole course near me. I went there to get confidence back and that I did. I got my first Ace here! It was a round more to feel confident on how I drive with my putter than it was to get any aces. At first I wasn't going to count it but a friend/coach of mine said it was legit and count it. So the next few days that I go play, I will do more throws with the putters (R-Pro Rhyno, Gateway Magic, and Vibram Ridge) and use them more for these type of shots and not worry about my score or how far I throw them for the round.

The putter advice is a great way to learn. I've only been playing for 6 months and practice different lines in the yard. I practice with wizards and rhynos

lots of good advice in this thread, I would also recommend learning how to throw FH shots, which will supplement the need to go same direction as your anny's.

While I second this, a couple of things:

1. If you want a fast forehand, throw something overstable like a Firebird

2. If you want to truly master forehand, start throwing a neutralish putter (ex. DX Aviar) on small forehand upshots and grow it from there. I went from using firebird on long forehands while learning the putter forehand and now most of my distance forehands are with a Star Valk or Star Teebird and are more workable.