• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Least Favorite course rated 4/5 or better?

I'm glad I read this thread; the next top ten course I was planning to play was Idlewild.
Sounds like it might be about as much fun as a root canal for a rec level player.

I had a lot of fun playing Idlewild. There are a few holes that did brutalize me, but all in all, I'd say about 15 of the holes were "fair". Definitely worth playing if you're in the area.

I have to agree with the OP, I was terribly disappointed with RL Smith. I hated hole 2's left to right uphill in the tall grass shot. Disclaimer...I did play it the last day of an epic 11 day road trip and just after spending 2 days at IDGC. Silver Creek in WI and Pickard in IA would also be on my over rated list. How can anyone say Maple Hill? It's my favorite out of 350+ played!

This. Only 150 played for me, but Maple Hill made me re-calibrate my rating scale. Previous to playing Maple Hill I considered Flip City a 5. I felt Maple Hill was clearly a step above Flip, so I downgraded Flip to a 4.5. I then had to take a look at courses that I previously considered 4.5s and downgrade some of them. And so on.

I'd love to play a course so much better than Maple Hill that I had to downgrade MH to a 4.5.

RL Smith
Deis Hill
Rolling Pines
Lester Lorch - Beaver and Coyote
Town Lake
Maple Hill

duh! how could i forget!

the Lester Lorch courses are so overrated, IMO!
i think they are both around 3.75 tops but this is what happens whenever you put more than one course on one property

It sounds like the course was above your pay-grade...not the course's fault.

I don't mind playing tough courses that kick my ass. A lot of them have. I don't mind double, triple, quad bogeys, whatever. I love disc golf for the fact that it is time spent outdoors with my dad. We both had a good day walking, talking and throwing around some plastic. I just wasn't blown away by this course.

Mountain Cove Farms Resort in Chickamauga, Ga. (an inflated 4.19)
Seneca Creek State Park in Gaithersburg, Md. (4.29)

I know how to see courses played, but is there a way to view them all in a list with the rating? I'm guessing I've only played a handful of 4 star courses, but don't want to click on each individually.

go to your dashboard home.

you will see a bunch of personal data fields in the center. but just below that is the word "my lists" with several tabs. the 4th tab over is "played"

that list will show the rating (discs only) of each course you played, its not sortable.

Locally, I think Hudson Mills Original (at 4.21) is overrated. Don't get me wrong, I play there frequently, and always have a good time, but honestly, "it ain't all that." I think another (better) course being on site, both courses always wonderfully maintained, the park being so accommodating to the DG public... all contribute to the course's exaggerated ratings. I think it benefits from being park of a great DG complex, but put that course in meh park anywhere else and it's a 3.5.

Twenty years ago, it was all that. Boy did I have some good times on that original course in the 1995-98 range. With Grand Woods and Hudson Mills and original Kensington, I thought I was in heaven. Miss those times. *Reaches in bag for grippy, state-of-the-art Cyclone*

(Haven't been back to Mills in about 8 years or so. I love how we can even have this discussion now, all the quality courses popping up like mushrooms everywhere in comparison. What a time of milk and honey we currently live in.)

Twenty years ago, it was all that. Boy did I have some good times on that original course in the 1995-98 range. With Grand Woods and Hudson Mills and original Kensington, I thought I was in heaven. Miss those times. *Reaches in bag for grippy, state-of-the-art Cyclone*

(Haven't been back to Mills in about 8 years or so. I love how we can even have this discussion now, all the quality courses popping up like mushrooms everywhere in comparison. What a time of milk and honey we currently live in.)

lulz at state-of-the-art Cyclone :clap:

Indeed. When I first played some of The Mills, Stony Creek, Indy Lake, Rolling Hills, Kensington, I thought they were all 4.0's. Then I started playing courses farther from home, and it changes your perspective.

The reality is, despite the fact that there's a # attached to them, ratings are nothing more than a players comparison of a particular course relative to their recollection of every other course they've ever played. Relative to the courses around here, those courses are the cream of the crop, so it's easy to give then 4.0's or maybe even a 4.5... because they're head and shoulders above the most of the other courses.

But playing some of the courses around Cincy, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Atlanta changed my perspective, and what once seemed like a 4.0 wasn't quite as great as I thought. Few of our courses feature as much elevation as the best courses in those areas. We don't offer alternate pin placements, and our dual tees sometimes don't make as big a difference as they could/should.

Over the years, I've revised my ratings for some of the local courses from 4.0 to 3.5 to reflect that.

The Forums thoughts on "Subtraction by Addition?"

On a somewhat related note, there are a couple of local parks that have recently been expanded from one 27 hole course to two 18 hole courses (Stony Creek), and a 24 hole course to two 18's (Independence Lake).

I applaud the additions, as well as breaking them up into 18 hole courses... just makes more sense than referring to it as a 36 hole layout. That said, I always think about the travelling player. IMO, both of the previous layouts (Stony's 27 hole layout and Indy's 24 hole layout) were 4.0's... because the add'l holes provided elevation that the rest of the course lacked, and made for a more complete course.

Splitting them into 18's created courses that have somewhat different "personalities," with none of the 18 hole layouts feeling quite as varied and complete as the previous 24 or 27 hole layouts (or as complete as some of the courses I've rated 4.0 elsewhere). So I kind of have a problem calling any of the new layouts 4.0's... although I admit that playing bith courses provides much more robust variety.

I'd rate either park 4.0 (excellent) as a destination, if you can play both courses to get the full experience. However, I don't think any of those single courses is really any better than the courses I've rated as 3.5's, and I don't want to call any of them a 4.0, because if a travelling player only has time for 1 course, I actually think Cass Benton Hills might honestly be the best single course in the area.

So we have what I call "subtraction by addition;" as destinations, the new holes make each park better, but the split (which I think makes sense) makes it harder to award 4.0's to any individual layout.

Your thoughts?

Looks like I've played 5 - 4 disc, and 0 - 5 disc. Of those 5, I'd give the title of least favorite to Rolling Hills, Ypsilanti, MI. I've only played it once, but the only thing that stands out in memories was a severe need to mow.

...So we have what I call "subtraction by addition;" as destinations, the new holes make each park better, but the split (which I think makes sense) makes it harder to award 4.0's to any individual layout.

Your thoughts?
This is why this site doesn't allow just a rating. A REVIEW is required; this allows for an explanation of the rating. It is trusted reviewers, such as yourself, that will rate one course appropriately and explain that with the other courses on site the destination is higher rated if you play the other courses.

As I was posting, I thought about starting each review for those with something like:
"Two courses with two distinct personalities make this park a better DG destination than either course is by itself."

Looks like I've played 5 - 4 disc, and 0 - 5 disc. Of those 5, I'd give the title of least favorite to Rolling Hills, Ypsilanti, MI. I've only played it once, but the only thing that stands out in memories was a severe need to mow.
I think you caught it on an off day... Rolling Hills (at least the last few years) is usually pretty well maintained, from mowing to wood chips. Stuff like that can happen on any course a week or so after prolonged rain. Obviously, a pattern of infrequent mowing is more problematic than a one-off occurrence like that, but one can't help but form an opinion based on what the course was like when they played it.

Last edited:
I think you caught it on an off day... Rolling Hills (at least the last few years) is usually pretty well maintained, from mowing to wood chips. Stuff like that can happen on any course a week or so after prolonged rain. Obviously, a pattern of infrequent mowing is more problematic than a one-off occurrence like that, but one can't help but form an opinion based on what the course was like when they played it.

Exactly why I haven't done any reviews. A lot of courses I've only played a couple times, and the local ones that I've played a bunch I would probably be too favorable toward.

Selah Creekside is my nominee. It ends well and the water holes are its best features with a few notable exceptions such as 5 and 13. But there are several longer, open holes that just keep it from meriting better than a 4.0 such as 2, 7 and 8. 10 is just a waste of lots of low-value real estate. And, while 18 is good finisher, that the peninsula between the tee box and basket peninsula is OB is a bit silly especially considering that you can lay up in a better position to the left. The carts are really the best feature of that course.

For me, it's RL Smith.

Over the years I've watched numerous people visit Charlotte, a mecca for disc golf, and come away with RL as their favorite course.

I've watched people rate it 4, 4.5, 5...thinking, why?

RL currently has a 4.15 rating. Nevin, Renny Gold, and Hornets Nest, Charlottes 3 premiere courses in my eyes, currently are within .10 points of that rating.

How?

I just don't see it.

I've made repeated trips to RL Smith, always fueled by a 4/5+ review. Maybe I'm missing something, I'd think.

Nope.

I played it again today, and still, I don't see it.

To me the course is in the 3.25-3.75 range.

It has some tricky holes, but it isn't as challenging as the 3 other courses I mentioned. It has some neat holes, but none of them are as memorable as say, #18 at Renny Gold, #2 at Renny Gold (One of the coolest upshots ever IMO), #18 at Nevin, etc.

Half the holes are what I consider gimmie holes. some of them don't even feel like very good golf holes, they feel more or less like they're there to fill in the space.

I see lots of land that looks like it would have made for more interesting golf when I play here. I wonder why it wasn't used?

This course never establishes much of a rhythm IMO. Its a weird mix of easy, gimmie birdies, then tricky Par 3's, with 3 easy Par 4's thrown in the mix. It never really feels easy or challenging, it just hovers between the two.

Every time I come here, I walk away with cut up shins, tons of bug bites, soaked in sweat. The first few holes are just open enough to let you get soaked in sweat as you're exposed to the warm Charlotte sun, then the up and down elevation on the shaded #4-18 makes it tough to get dry.

The rough here is abysmal. I'm talking there are holes you can ace run (#3, #18, etc.), drive 10' deep of the basket, and never see your disc again. It's just dumb how bad certain holes are.

There are spiderwebs everywhere. Combine that with the terrible rough and the wooded nature of this course, and even if you don't throw into the rough someone in your group is bound to. Rounds at RL always take a while because someone always loses a disc in the rough, and someone always throws into the stream on #4, etc.

I've given this course so many chances but frankly I just don't see the appeal. I live within a half hour drive and play RL less than once a year.

If I want a quick, easy to play 18 hole course, I'll go to Renske or Winget. If I want to be challenged, I'll go to Nevin or Renny Gold. RL falls in a weird gray area where its not a quick, convenient to play course like Winget or Kilborne, but its not as challenging at Charlottes best courses.

So RL is my pick. Its rated the same (essentially) as the best Charlotte has to offer, when its my 6th or 7th favorite course within Charlotte's 485 loop. IMO Renny Gold, Nevin and Hornets Nest are clearly a cut above RL, but for some reason there has never been any scoring separation between the 4 courses over the past 3 years.

Just don't get it. RL isn't a bad course by any standard, but its completely insane to me that its rated the same as Nevin, Hornets Nest and Renny Gold. Its more tedious to play and less challenging.
If the course sucks that bad, why do you list it as one of your favorites ? I think RL is a GREAT course, but then again,I don't blame sweat on a course.

Last edited:
For me, it's RL Smith.

Over the years I've watched numerous people visit Charlotte, a mecca for disc golf, and come away with RL as their favorite course.

RL currently has a 4.15 rating. Nevin, Renny Gold, and Hornets Nest, Charlottes 3 premiere courses in my eyes, currently are within .10 points of that rating.

How?

I just don't see it.

I've made repeated trips to RL Smith, always fueled by a 4/5+ review. Maybe I'm missing something, I'd think.

Nope.

It has some tricky holes, but it isn't as challenging as the 3 other courses I mentioned. It has some neat holes, but none of them are as memorable as say, #18 at Renny Gold, #2 at Renny Gold (One of the coolest upshots ever IMO), #18 at Nevin, etc.

Half the holes are what I consider gimmie holes. some of them don't even feel like very good golf holes, they feel more or less like they're there to fill in the space.

I see lots of land that looks like it would have made for more interesting golf when I play here. I wonder why it wasn't used?

This course never establishes much of a rhythm IMO. Its a weird mix of easy, gimmie birdies, then tricky Par 3's, with 3 easy Par 4's thrown in the mix. It never really feels easy or challenging, it just hovers between the two.

Every time I come here, I walk away with cut up shins, tons of bug bites, soaked in sweat. The first few holes are just open enough to let you get soaked in sweat as you're exposed to the warm Charlotte sun, then the up and down elevation on the shaded #4-18 makes it tough to get dry.

The rough here is abysmal. I'm talking there are holes you can ace run (#3, #18, etc.), drive 10' deep of the basket, and never see your disc again. It's just dumb how bad certain holes are.

There are spiderwebs everywhere. Combine that with the terrible rough and the wooded nature of this course, and even if you don't throw into the rough someone in your group is bound to. Rounds at RL always take a while because someone always loses a disc in the rough, and someone always throws into the stream on #4, etc.

I've given this course so many chances but frankly I just don't see the appeal. I live within a half hour drive and play RL less than once a year.

If I want a quick, easy to play 18 hole course, I'll go to Renske or Winget. If I want to be challenged, I'll go to Nevin or Renny Gold. RL falls in a weird gray area where its not a quick, convenient to play course like Winget or Kilborne, but its not as challenging at Charlottes best courses.

So RL is my pick. Its rated the same (essentially) as the best Charlotte has to offer, when its my 6th or 7th favorite course within Charlotte's 485 loop. IMO Renny Gold, Nevin and Hornets Nest are clearly a cut above RL, but for some reason there has never been any scoring separation between the 4 courses over the past 3 years.

Just don't get it. RL isn't a bad course by any standard, but its completely insane to me that its rated the same as Nevin, Hornets Nest and Renny Gold. Its more tedious to play and less challenging.
I mean, really, how can you run a course down in a "least favorite" rant and list it as your favorite ? i don't get it.

For me, it's RL Smith.

How?

I just don't see it.

Nope.

I mean, really, how can you run a course down in a "least favorite" rant and list it as your favorite in your dgcr profile as of 6/12/17 ? i don't see it...spiderwebs ?

Last edited:
Totally agree. To me Nevin is far better than RL Smith and the best course in Charlotte. RL Smith is the most overrated course in Charlotte and Goat Island the most underrated in the area.

I feel the same way about Goat Island.

If you play it in the summer the day after some rain, the mosquitoes are as bad as the reviews make them out to be.

Play it any other time of year and its a very scenic course with nice variety. Extremely peaceful.

I'd say RL is better, primarily due to having more drastic and frequent elevation changes, and a bit more challenge, but the disparity between their scores is really strange to me. Nearly a full point difference.

Knob Hill for me. I've played it twice and didn't like it either time. I know it's a great course, and I should love it. I just don't. At all. Maybe third time will be the charm.

I've always heard Knob Hill mentioned in the same breath as Moraine and Deer Lakes, and I'd agree that is not quite up to either. I really enjoyed it, but Moraine is clearly superior in my eyes, no question.

One thing that sucks about all three courses as someone who isn't a local, is the huge variety of pin placements and tees. Some holes have 3 pins and 3 tees, often blind shots. Lots of hunting down baskets, and looking at the tee signs I feel like I'm staring at a spreadsheet :D Still, that's gotta be great for locals.

Last edited:
I must be much more of a masses kinda guy. So many courses I really like being put down. Lake Casitas, R.L. smith, knob hill, maple hill.

Milby park in Houston TX as a close second. Both are more a 3.0 to me rather than a 3.8. I think time will either improve the courses with trees growing in or ratings will average them down lower. Neither are bad spins by any means, just not great.

I'm not trying to make the case that RL is a bad course, simply that out of every course I've played rated at least 4/5, its one I have the least fun playing. If it were a bad course it wouldn't be in my favorites list :)

This topic is more or less "Make a list of every course you've played that DGCR rates 4.0+ and share which ones fall at the bottom of your list"

RL stands out to me because I feel it is often listed as someones favorite course when they visit the area, which has always surprised me. When I visited Charlotte my first time I played Winget, Renny Gold and Winthrop. Next time I played RL, Eastway, Kilborne and Reedy Creek. Renny was my clear favorite, head and shoulders above the others IMO.

I'm surprised Milby is rated that high. I played it on vacation with just an Ion and Crave and felt like it was pretty easy with that combo. Like you say, not a bad course by any means, but being nearly a 4/5 does surprise me.

Last edited:

Latest posts