• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Lefthand Forehand what to throw.

Palmtre3

Hi guys I'm 2 months into disc golf now and I'm learning fast and loving every minute of it. My question and hopefully someone can help me out there is I'm a lefthand forehand thrower and when I started I was told under stable disc are where i should start. I throw 350-390 as of right now. The issue I'm having is now that I'm throwing harder and farther my disc tend to anhyzer out and most of the time there not coming out of it. Currently I'm throwing mvp but I'm open to any companies out there. I noticed that with my mvp fission photon today I was trying to learn hyzer flips and it was doing it so nicely and this is lefty forehand. Even with that disc sometimes it doesn't flip up to flat and it ends flipping into and anhyzer. I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. My drives are pretty consistent and I think I might being to hard on myself but I would like to understand and be able to take some pointers and try different things out. Thanks for any help and advice.

Try something a little less understable but not a meat hook.

Ones in mind would be a Krait, Napalm, and Inspire if you want to stick with MVP.

Keep throwing flat and try not to develop any hitches or over anyhyzering discs to try and make them flex when they aren't ready to.

I did that a lot when I was learning and it set my form back a bit. I'm still a bit of a torque monkey though not so much OAT anymore.

You may need to graduate to a more stable/overstable disc. Lots of choices out there. I'd suggest an Innova Teebird (which is a control driver) to start, and see how it works for you.

Try something a little less understable but not a meat hook.

Ones in mind would be a Krait, Napalm, and Inspire if you want to stick with MVP.

Keep throwing flat and try not to develop any hitches or over anyhyzering discs to try and make them flex when they aren't ready to.

I did that a lot when I was learning and it set my form back a bit. I'm still a bit of a torque monkey though not so much OAT anymore.

Appreciate the help. So when you say a hitches what do you mean by that. Today when I went out I toned it down and was not putting any run ups in there and checking myself on my form and was pretty consistent and it was flipping up nicely for me. I threw my Wave and the Inertia and they were doing well to. Just when I'm trying to put power behind it and had my friend take video of me and it was clean and flat with a bit of hyzer and it just flips up past flat and anhyzers on me. So from what your saying it seems I'm just torquing to much and I'm not sure I under stand what flex mean just yet.

You may need to graduate to a more stable/overstable disc. Lots of choices out there. I'd suggest an Innova Teebird (which is a control driver) to start, and see how it works for you.

I actually have a Teebird and thunderbird and still have the same issue and a fellow disc golfer said man how much torque are you putting on that thing because it was doing what the others were doing. I'm thinking I just need to mess around and put less torque when I throw.

An Eagle is a good disc to learn forehand. It has enough fade to make the disc come back at the end, but enough turn to be able to shape some nice lines with all levels of power. Get one in champ plastic.

Don't worry about new plastic. Post the video your friend took in the technique forum and see what, if anything, might need a tweak. If the Thunderbird is acting like your understable molds, you probably need a fresh set of eyes to look at what's happening.

It's hard to tell if you're torquing the discs like the Thunderbird without video, etc. But if you are driving in the 350+ range then it's a good idea to have some beefier discs in the bag like a Destroyer/XCal/whatever. Something that you can actually throw at full power and not worry about it flipping. That's not a get out of jail free card for flipping everything over...but at that distance forehand you should definitely have some overstable plastic.

Wave, Inertia, and Fission Photon are on the understable side for sure.

Overstable versions of MVP would be Neutron Photon, Phase (mega OS), Tesla.

Shock and Volt on the speed 9 end.

Good advice on getting form critiques, just to make sure your developing positive progress and avoiding hard to break bad habits. Sidewinder has very good knowledge and worth checking out .

Good luck

Wave, Inertia, and Fission Photon are on the understable side for sure.

Overstable versions of MVP would be Neutron Photon, Phase (mega OS), Tesla.

Shock and Volt on the speed 9 end.

Good advice on getting form critiques, just to make sure your developing positive progress and avoiding hard to break bad habits. Sidewinder has very good knowledge and worth checking out .

Good luck

I figured out what I was doing wrong. A big thing I didn't take into account is that I'm throwing forehand not backhand and when it comes to throwing a disc it's assumed your throwing backhand and I didn't realize that. When I'm throwing I noticed that my wrist is going past palm up and turning right which is making me throw anhyzer. When you say bad habits I definitely found one that I need to break. Thanks for all the help it actually made me stop and think about my throws.

Wrist roll is a pretty common problem with FH throws. Often referred to as OAT here.

With a good hyzerflip those discs you mention should fly nice and straight. The hyzer angle release will compensate for the natural turn of the discs. If they are turning over and not coming back from a hyzer release you will know for sure form is goofy.

I can throw an inertia or similar disc almost 400 with very little lateral movement. Its not a big turn or fade disc when hyzer flipped. Wave will flex more but still should come back. Actually good discs to learn with so you can get a feel for angles vs forcing over an OS disc.

Wrist roll is a pretty common problem with FH throws. Often referred to as OAT here.

With a good hyzerflip those discs you mention should fly nice and straight. The hyzer angle release will compensate for the natural turn of the discs. If they are turning over and not coming back from a hyzer release you will know for sure form is goofy.

I can throw an inertia or similar disc almost 400 with very little lateral movement. Its not a big turn or fade disc when hyzer flipped. Wave will flex more but still should come back. Actually good discs to learn with so you can get a feel for angles vs forcing over an OS disc.

Yep, on FH throws you should be finishing palm up.