• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lefty Help

Dsweat

I have been playing Disc Golf (badly) a couple of times a year for a a few years now, but recently have decided it's something I actually want to be good at. I'm trying to figure out what to fill my bag with.

First of all, I'm a backhand lefty. I haven't done a lot of research on the discs I currently have, I just chose from the available supply at Academy Sports.

Currently I have a Millenium JLS which I can zip fairly well and it goes straight. I like this one a lot. I have a Monarch. I don't like this one at all. It goes so far right it's pathetic, which apparently it's supposed to do, and I'm assuming being a lefty just makes magnifies its rightness that much more.

So what are some recommendations for some good discs for a beginner lefty? Most everything I read online is skewed towards right handers.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site.

Left or right handed it doesn't matter. What you want to look for are slower discs.

Your JLS is a good disc, I would recommend a Buzzz (also available at Academy) and any putter that you like the feel of.

Leopards are also a good choice for beginners.

Best of luck to you.

I'm also a lefty.
Good left-handed discs:
JLS
Polaris
Cheetah
Comet
Stratus
Wedge
Magic
Aviar
BuzzzSS

Like JSurmann said, slow discs for beginners.

Learn to throw righty, left handed discs are a lot harder to find...

I'm kidding of course. Just take everything you read online and flip it. When you're throwing the Monarch well, it should actually move left for you. So it sounds like you're just not getting enough snap to get it to fly right. I'd stick with the JLS and get a good neutral mid (Buzzz is a good suggestion). Focusing on hitting various lines with those. Once you get the hang of those discs, you'll have a better idea of what you want your next step to be.

South Pawz unite :)

Stalker SS or Avenger SS (glorified buzz's really) both are good, flatten those out and keep working on release and stroke..

As said Buzz any version will treat you good for a mid.

Yes.
Obviously, all the line charts are drawn for righties, so just imagine a mirror-image of that line and you'll see how it flies for you.

Don't look too hard for a "Stalker SS".

Bhhhahaha!

I throw lefty as well, though I'm switching to my right currently b/c I'm actually right handed. That's another story though...

Anyway, what Brad is saying is true. There really isn't such a thing as "lefty" discs or "righty" discs. The only difference between throwing with your left hand vs your right hand is which direction your discs will naturally fade. For us left-handers, discs naturally fade to the right. It's the opposite for right handers: they fade to the left. Like it was said before, whenever you read someone saying the disc goes "right" for them on this forum...think of the disc going left for you...because it's the opposite. Again, I'm just repeating what Brad already said, your Monarch should actually go left for you if you're throwing level and with enough snap...so chances are it's either too heavy for you, you are throwing with hyzer (wrist angled down toward the ground), or you're not getting enough snap (most likely it's a combo of all three).

When I started out, I went and got a Sidewinder, but the JLS is probably even better to learn on b/c it's a slower disc.

While there is no such thing as a Stalker SS...Discraft does make a Stalker, and I think it would be the next step for you once you start turning over your JLS (making it go left when you throw it flat and level). The Buzzz is a GREAT disc to learn with...no matter what you're trying to learn. I highly recommend them, but you could also try any of the other suggestions above. The one's I've tried: Wolf, Stingray, Stratus, Meteor, Comet for mids, and Leopard, River, Sidewinder, Monarch (mine was 167g), XL, Xpress, Stalker for drivers.

Hope it helps, and Good Luck

Just take everything you read online and flip it.

^^^^^This. Everything is opposite in regards to flight. Hyzers go right for us(Left for righties) and anhyzers go left for us(Right for righties). An overstable disc is going to go more right, where an understable disc is gonna wanna go left. Hope this helps a little bit.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies and help.

Sounds like I definitely need to work on my technique if I'm cranking the Monarch that far right. I actually do have a Buzzz and can keep that one fairly straight. I got a round in yesterday and almost thought about switching to that instead of the Monarch, but was determined to master it (the guy I was playing with was using my JLS).

I also have a Shark, which I used to be able to throw decent, but has gotten wobbly on me recently, not sure what's up with that.

As a lefty (backhand) relatively new to the game, here are my thoughts.

Get a Stratus. It will go understable (to the left) when thrown with speed. This is really helpful for all the "easy" holes for the righties.... It's been a godsend for me.

I echo what everyone else said as well, go with slower drivers. The Valkyrie has been my best disc, with the new Mamba threatening to take its place for distance.

Like most newbies, I bought a lot of plastic, including a Monarch (and Groove!). But I've since settled down to just a few:

- Valkyrie - for drives where I want some right-curve
- Mamba - for longer drives
- Stratus - for anything to the left
- Super Stingray - for mid-range and putting

Sure I carry more, but these are the ones i reach for every time.

Scott

I'm a LHBH thrower been playing for about a year now. I started out with a bunch of different discs until I was able to narrow down what I liked and what I felt really worked for me. That said, I ended up with about 4 discs as I worked on my consistency.

One thing worth mentioning is weight. I was buying all max weight discs and was really struggling. I finally settled on 165-169 discs.

I throw mostly innova but have started trying out other brands, here's my recommendations.

VALKYRIE
FIREBIRD
LEOPARD
ROC or MAKO
Soft Challenger

I LHBH and am not very good as well!

I can't live without:

Discraft Stratus (my buzzz when the course turns left and has obsticales.)
I cant pitch this disc enough for LHBH! The stratus is nice and slow, very easy to shape left turning lines with or without fade. It is a large diameter disc and has a unique feel to the rim (shallow). The X plastic holds up nice to impacts & seems to require less and less power to throw with every hit. Sure... you can throw the same line with a buzzz by using an anhyzer throw, but why bother when there is a disc that will ride the line without risking poor release. But never throw it into a headwind (goes with all understable to mildly stable discs)

Discraft Buzzz SS
Innova Cobra

Good mid ranges that will grow with your form and help get controllable distance
From there I'd recommend a neutral, easy to throw fairway driver like...

Innova Leopard
Discraft XL

Don't get hung up on the RH, LH thing. There is no real difference in what discs work best based on what hand you throw. I'm a lefty. An overstable disc should go right for you. An understable disc will hopefully go left or at least not as far right. Try something lighter and not too fast. The first disc I was able to throw with any distance and accuracy was a 150g Champion Leopard. Does everything well and its pretty forgiving for technique flaws. I got a 150g Champ Leopard 5 years ago and I still have one in my bag.

Lefty here

Get a Mamba and or a Leopard.

Those disc are good for turning left for you and will go far.

Agree with everyone else, go with lighter weights and I would only play with a buzz and putter. Leave the high-speed disc alone. Until you can throw flat and straight.

I'm also a lefty but have terrible trouble with my drives, currently using a Valk. As soon as I release the disc I just put my head down because I know it's gonna go right on me. My friend, a righty, has been helping me but apparently I'm not grasping what he's trying to impart on me. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts