• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

lefty or righty?

Are you a right handed thrower or left handed thrower?

• Right

Votes: 91 77.1%
  • Left

Votes: 27 22.9%

• Total voters
Righty fer me.

My buddy is a lefty at everything he does except his backhand throw. Writing, throwing a ball, FH shots, thumbers. Goes righty for BH, though.

Freak.

Righty but was forced to throw lefty because I punched a wall that didn't move. I barely got to 300 left and was able to throw with a casted right hand 300 also....barely.

I'm a lefty at most small-motor tasks, like writing, cutting, eating etc., but my gross-motor skills like throwing a disc are all right handed.

you know...i thought about that but i was like who can throw a drive 300 feet with both arms so i didnt do it. my mistake

I believe it's steve Valencia but I could bs wrong, but there's an old time DGer who yeas ago was one of the top in the world and he could throw 500+ left handed and right handed. Current masters player Phil Arthur can also break 400' both hands.

Good poll. The only thing I've ever done left-handed in my entire life is swing a bat.
So you are all set to learn to throw a LHBH. IMO every disc golfer needs to know at least one throw that spins the disc clockwise and one that spins it counterclockwise. This doubles the flight paths available. Try it you'll like it.

And obviously, I throw both handed. One does not need to throw both handed to get both spins: RHBH and RHFH will do. But LHBH is easier to learn for most righties because most bat right handed, which is the same move as LHBH.

you know...i thought about that but i was like who can throw a drive 300 feet with both arms...

Me. I can throw 300' with both arms... although it might be hard for me to get out to 300' righty right now.
DSCJNKY

i got my nickname because when I first started playing I threw anhyzers all the time because my friends we're all right handed. And one of my friends coined my new DG name Dan hyzer.

But ya better becarefull of my right hand when your playing me in ping pong.

I wish the PDGA would indicate which style of release the player normally throws their respective drives. I wonder who are the top lefties in the world of DG (male and female)?

As phrased, I'd expect the percentage of lefthanded disc golfers to be pretty much the percentage of lefties in the general population.

It becomes less relevant, or perhaps more complicated, when you consider the BH/FH distinction. A player may be a righthander but, if he throws primarily forehand, he's more similar to a LHBH player.

Then of course many of the better players throw well forehand & backhand, making which hand they use much less significant.

There should be an option to put both. I have been playing with both hands for a long time. Here is some video of my left and right in action.

Just having a serviceable left handed shot can be an answer for all those "what's a good understable disc" or "how do I throw an anhyzer" threads. I'm the most non-ambidextrous person I know and I was surprised how easy it was to throw a respectable lefty shot.

LHBH
RHFH
I can throw a RHBH, but it's fairly ugly.
I can throw a LHFH, but that's just to get out trouble.

BTW, I'm right-hand dominant.
When I first started playin DG, I lined up like a right-handed bolfer - and threw the disc with my left hand.

BTW, as it stands right now (75 righties and 19 lefties), that's at least double the national average of 11% left-hand-dominant.

Latest posts