• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

'Legendary' Players

@DiscFifty (and his ilk): this tread is merely content provided to amusingly distract. Provide your own that's better or go elsewhere, please. And don't take things so 'ironically', clever-man.

Who are your three "legendaries"?

(knowing full well this is a 'offend somebody' trap)

Climo
McBeth
King

near miss: Pierce

I added the 'GOAT' part not only to proudly display my white beard, but to troll those who take such things seriously. However, if I'm not mistaken, Zimmerman has more Overall World Titles than any other...

I'd say the bare minimum for "legendary" status would be multiple world championships, although I might consider someone if they've won a few majors. In my mind, to be legendary in a solo (not team) sport, you have to be considered the best in the game for a period of time. I'm fine with that "best in the game" category being disputed, but if you're never in the conversation for being the best in the game for more than just a tournament or two, you have no business being considered legendary. I'm thinking at least two years where people are discussing whether or not you're the best in the game. Gregg Barsby, you're one of the greatest disc golfers ever, but I'm not going to consider you "legendary" because you had 6 months in 2018 where you were en feugo.

*Gregg Barsby is the man, and I hope he has another year like that so he could be included here.

Barsby's got some of the best stand-up comedy in the game and he's a decent impressionist too...

Kenny is the GOAT. But Paul is a better player now then Kenny was in his time.

If Kenny was in his prime in this era he may have even elevated his game to higher levels, we'll never know. Like developing a high quality sidearm. I would think he would have.

I read this and immediately questioned it. Upon further research, I agree with you. I did not realize that Voakes was SO DAMN OLD lol. I knew he won a lot of masters+ world championships, which I generally don't care about, but I didn't realize he qualified for masters in 1989 meaning he was past his prime before he had a chance to win MPO. His last 1000 rated year was at age 58! Climo has 6 years to go on that age. Pretty incredible.

I read this and immediately questioned it. Upon further research, I agree with you. I did not realize that Voakes was SO DAMN OLD lol. I knew he won a lot of masters+ world championships, which I generally don't care about, but I didn't realize he qualified for masters in 1989 meaning he was past his prime before he had a chance to win MPO. His last 1000 rated year was at age 58! Climo has 6 years to go on that age. Pretty incredible.
I believe Voakes would have won MPO when he first won MPM in 1988 Worlds. He shot the same courses as MPO.

Holy cow, and by 5 strokes too!
At the time, the PDGA had been pondering whether players should be allowed to enter two divisions as long as the divisions were playing the same courses. I don't believe it's ever been allowed at Worlds but it has been allowed in some events. I recall an event at Delaveaga, could have been a Masters Cup, where MPM and MPO played shotgun rounds at different times. At least one player entered and played in each division, playing 27 holes in MPO and 27 in MPM each day.

I saw the look on Dr Ricks face when he realized what had happened on the final hole of the 88 Worlds. I felt the pain, but he's a very good person and handled it better than anyone would have.

Did the MPO winner make any comment about it afterward?

I saw the look on Dr Ricks face when he realized what had happened on the final hole of the 88 Worlds. I felt the pain, but he's a very good person and handled it better than anyone would have.

I didn't realize Midge was the TD of 88 worlds.

I still need to get up there to Cabin Creek eventually.

Did the MPO winner make any comment about it afterward?

That would be scumbag, thief John Ahart. He, imo, was always full of himself. I mentioned it to him on Facebook before he stole from everyone and disappeared, he never acknowledged it as far as I know.

I was pretty impressed with how Voakes was on the final 9 of the 2000 worlds with Climo, Schultz and Lundmark. How old was he there? His short and finesse game must've been on 100%. He had to play Toboggan (brand new at the time) and Hudson Mills Monster just like everybody else who could throw their speed 7 Discs way past his. I know Hudson Mills had Mach III's for sure. I think Kensington had Chainstars. Probably Cass Benton and the campground temp course too. These are not baskets modern people like very much. They didn't stop him from putting well.

I'll never forget his drive pegging people in the crowd on that final 9. I had a front row seat right behind him. Youch!! I think that was on original #4 if I'm not mistaken.

That would be scumbag, thief John Ahart. He, imo, was always full of himself. I mentioned it to him on Facebook before he stole from everyone and disappeared, he never acknowledged it as far as I know.

I did not know this story and a quick googling leaves me to think, Oh my :eek:

I was pretty impressed with how Voakes was on the final 9 of the 2000 worlds with Climo, Schultz and Lundmark. How old was he there? His short and finesse game must've been on 100%. He had to play Toboggan (brand new at the time) and Hudson Mills Monster just like everybody else who could throw their speed 7 Discs way past his. I know Hudson Mills had Mach III's for sure. I think Kensington had Chainstars. Probably Cass Benton and the campground temp course too. These are not baskets modern people like very much. They didn't stop him from putting well.

I'll never forget his drive pegging people in the crowd on that final 9. I had a front row seat right behind him. Youch!! I think that was on original #4 if I'm not mistaken.

He was 35 in '88.

I spotted nearly every day for the 2000 Worlds and did not run across a nicer guy than Rick. Stopped to thank me both rounds I spotted for his division and then recognized me when his group played the hole we were spectating on the final 9. I was really pulling for him, but my awe of Climo's play was blinding. It was really a legendary card.

I spotted nearly every day for the 2000 Worlds and did not run across a nicer guy than Rick. Stopped to thank me both rounds I spotted for his division and then recognized me when his group played the hole we were spectating on the final 9. I was really pulling for him, but my awe of Climo's play was blinding. It was really a legendary card.

Just chiming in on what a genuinely nice guy Dr Rick is...