• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Discs AMA

I thought maybe a lithium or radium but I don't know what they look like. I just threw it a few times and the hss was close to an Evo Element but the fade was a little stronger. Really nice disc whatever it is.

Element may not want all the seconds as it would become their burden to sell them.

Yeah, I guess that would be a possibility. But for a small buisness to deny themselves another revenue stream is kinda silly in my mind but thats probably why I dont own a buisness.

I don't know, I haven't thrown it. I have two Mystics and they both have the same top as an Element.

The Mystic was retooled though, and I think the Element top was added on the newer one, the originals were considered too close to the Scout and they flew like an old Pro Cobra.

Those were the days. So many great Gateway pros over the years. John E McCray, George Smith, Justin Bunnell, Nikko Locastro, Shawn Sinclair, Garret G. , etc..

Hate to say it, but I think he was more competitive with Gateway discs. He seems to still win a good bit, but he hasn't been near the top since throwing Trilogy.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did he win Worlds with Gateway? He cleaned up in Masters last year. I think the drop off in open wins has more to do with age and the type of tournaments he plays in now (much more competitive than the Florida Tour) than the discs he throws. And to be clear, I don't think he won Worlds because he throws Trilogy discs.

Bump, there seems to be a lot of company centered questions happening in the Wizard thread that might be better posted here. Hopefully Ahoop still checks.

I was surprised to see that there is a driver called the Journey. The also I guess have rebooted the Diablo and Ninja names with new discs, and there is a disc called the Siren. I guess those would be fun to know more about.

I was thinking about my experiences throwing Gateway. Initially my problem was that there would be discs like the blood red Elements or the baby blue Illusions that you couldn't replace. Thee were never another run like them, so once you lost them you were done. The inconsistency from run to run was the big issue.

Now it's more of an availability thing. I threw Evolution Proline Apache's for a bit, but after a little while I couldn't find them anymore. I threw Assassins for a bit and then had the same problem. In both cases, when I couldn't find them there were Valks. Good old Valks, there are everywhere. I just went back to throwing Valks. I threw the Slayer for a bit, I had some S Slayers that were really stiff and hard and I liked them alot. When I needed to replace them, I couldn't find any. So I had beat in some Pro Destroyers and just went with that. Good old Destroyers, they are everywhere.

It's probably the reality of the small business. They can't afford to run a bunch of stock to sit around, so sometimes the stock gets low and the discs are hard to find. If I was more attached to the discs or the idea of throwing Gateway I'd work around it, but for drivers I'm not. That main driver slot in my bag? That's that sorta neutral/understable speed 9/10 disc. There are like a million serviceable discs someone of my skill level can put in that slot. I'm just not going to dig under rocks looking for one certain kind when I can find the 999,999 others on the shelf.

Now putters? I'm always digging under rocks looking for stiff Warlocks...

About the only driver I spent any time with was the Sabre. I liked it, but again, I can find Leos/TBs easier.

Funny Story: I actually knew Dave back when he started making discs. GDS started out as a wholesaler and the shop I ran was one of his accounts for a little while. We were also around promoting events in the same St. Louis scene so we had to deal with each other to a certain extent. Anyway, he started making bags. The GDS bags were the first ones designed for disc golf with an internal frame and they were really popular in the late 90's. He saw the light from that experience and realized the money was in manufacturing, so he added discs. The first disc was the Sabre. He was showing me a prototype and said something like "I wanted to make a putter, but everyone I talked to said they sold 10 drivers for every putter so we are starting with drivers." At the time I agreed with him becasue I sold 10 drivers for every putter. In retrospect, it's a comment that makes me laugh.

Just saw the new flight charts, like that they changed the speed and flight scales, hopefully clears up confusion for people on the fence about buying a new disc.

What is the best Gateway hyzer flip disc today? I liked a lot Hi-Flex Diablo back in a day. It was a good driver. Fast and long with the dimples.

What is the best Gateway hyzer flip disc today? I liked a lot Hi-Flex Diablo back in a day. It was a good driver. Fast and long with the dimples.

The Samurai is a fun hyzer flip disc. It's kinda like a seasoned Katana. If you hit it right, they will absolutely cruise

Gateways distance drivers aren't big glide discs. Instead, they are amazingly fast for their modest rim sizes.

Latest posts