• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Leopard Distance

EsotericForest

Bogey Member
I started playing being a forehand dominant player, but in this last year I've been trying to teach myself to be more backhand dominant. I purchased a leopard (169g) and have been using it as my main driver. The other day I did find a leopard (150g) on the course, and have been using it some as well. I really see improvement on my RBH throws, but I'm wondering what kind of distance I should be getting out of the leopard.

Also, as a more unrelated question to the topic, what does it mean when people hear talk about having to "beat in" their discs? You would think that they wouldn't fly as good once they got beaten up, so I'm curious on the logic behind this.

Regards,
Josh

it depends on your throwing style but about 275'-300' would be average i would think. i know a few guys that use them for shots up to about 330' and longer

they may not fly "better" but they take on new flight patterns when they break in a little bit. typically they get more understable as they age, so a beat up leopard will be fairly understable

When I got my first Leopard, I was getting it to about 300. Now I can get it to about 350-370 on a hyzer-flip.

As far as beating a disc in, I think it depends on the plastic. In my experience, Champ starts out more stable/overstable and beats in quickly at first then stays at a certain stability for a long time. Star beats in gradually, but takes a lot get it much more understable than it started out at, and dx and pro beat in quickly and continually get more understable.

Alright sounds good. I believe I'm getting around 250 ft. at the moment, so it's good to know there's still plenty of room for growth with the disc. I'm sure I'm losing a lot of distance due to form.

You cant get them out to 300' thrown flat so long as you dont have OAT. (the 150 probably not but the heavier one)

Then you can hyzer flip them for much further TBH.

There isn't much the Leopard can do to limit your distance, it's all you. I've hyzer flipped them for 400' (Not consistently) and when I carried them regularly threw 375' hyzers etc. with them. It's a very versatile mold. If you're interested in increasing your BH distance you should post a video of your form.

When it comes to beating in, a lot of discs (Especially Innova's it seems) take a bit of wearing in before they fly their best. KC Pro Rocs are a great example. Off the shelf they're pretty overstable, but after some wear and a few tree hits they fly nice and straight.

Well I have a very beat in DX leopard, if thrown flat it turns and burns, but if i hyzer flip it with a ton of hyzer it will still majorly turn over but get about 300 ft.

i think 300' is about the Leo's limit. anymore than that and things go wrong...like grip lock, and shank it into the thicket 100 feet to the right of where you were aiming...peebody!

Sounds like that could be a pretty useful roller.

Yeah, if I had to roll a shot, that's what i'd use, exept i don't carry it because i can't find any use for it in normal shots. I almost never throw rollers either, as its a shot i haven't spen hardly any time on and don't want to try out at the course.

Interesting how that would work. Are there any decent videos on doing it? I wasn't able to find any when I did look.