• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

Polecats rule! :thmbup:

Never liked the sharp part the top and side of disc came together on a Pole Cat. I did like how the Putt'r felt with a more rounded top but did not like that it was only re released in Soft X in mid 2000's. I want a Putt'r in regular x or like the old Pro D. The soft X when broken in for the Putt'r was a obvious puddle top without glide once it puddle topped. I had to throw the disc harder to get the glide I needed and that was too much glide, had no in between no glide and too much glide for me. If Innova had made the Pole Cat with less sharp a top and side corner I might have thought about using such a disc.

Last edited:
Never liked the sharp part the top and side of disc came together on a Pole Cat. I did like how the Putt'r felt with a more rounded top but did not like that it was only re released in Soft X in mid 2000's. I want a Putt'r in regular x or like the old Pro D. The soft X when broken in for the Putt'r was a obvious puddle top without glide once it puddle topped. I had to throw the disc harder to get the glide I needed and that was too much glide, had no in between no glide and too much glide for me. If Innova had made the Pole Cat with less sharp a top and side corner I might have thought about using such a disc.

None of my DX Polecats have the sharp top and sides that you're describing. Maybe Innova improved the quality control on the discs I got, but they've been fine. My only complaint is that one Polecat I have is relatively domey and (much) more understable than the others, even on low power throws.

None of my DX Polecats have the sharp top and sides that you're describing. Maybe Innova improved the quality control on the discs I got, but they've been fine. My only complaint is that one Polecat I have is relatively domey and (much) more understable than the others, even on low power throws.

I did say to me or for me, the disc has a sharp edge and side where they meet. Some of the R-pro model do not but then it is a crap shoot with that plastic for that disc and the Dart as of late whether you get a floppy or just a firm and soft disc.

You got a mistake if your one Polecat is Domey compared to other Polecats. Again this speaks to Innova having a constancy problem that other brands even other high volume production ones do not have.

Last edited:

No, I think he was describing the shoulder (or lack thereof). Very abrupt transition from the flightplate to the rim.

No, I think he was describing the shoulder (or lack thereof). Very abrupt transition from the flightplate to the rim.

I'll buy that for a dollar. I was thinking he meant flashing or a literally sharp edge.

Polecats are (still) awesome. :thmbup:

I've only tried some R-Pros a friend putts with. Too much like Soft X. I'd give DX a try but it would get just as beat up as the SoftX. (Will be practicing upshots/playing catch in the parking lot with them.)

I've only tried some R-Pros a friend putts with. Too much like Soft X. I'd give DX a try but it would get just as beat up as the SoftX. (Will be practicing upshots/playing catch in the parking lot with them.)

Some others on these boards were talking about lightweight DX Polecats being great "get out of jail" discs for shots where it's not easy to put any power on a throw (in a tight lie, in an awkward position under a tree or something like that, etc.), and that it doesn't take any power at all to get a Polecat going.

So I tried a 150g DX Polecat, and it was a lot of fun to throw. I have an F2 158g DX Polecat as well. I don't throw the Polecat often, but when it's needed, it's a great approach disc that gets surprising distance without needing to put anything on it... just some correct form and spin and watch it glide(!). Definitely not a headwind-fighter :eek: but a nice disc to have when I need it, and a fun disc to throw to warm up, too.

I've bagged this one for several years and given it innumerable rage putts and even ran over it with a truck. It gets chewed up but it's still going strong.

HQiryiX.jpg

DX is not bad just stay away from the Edge discs, the under 150 gram Pole Cats. Any wind over 5 mph takes them. Do not get the ones from the Innova store that are the Champion Pole Cats, Champion in that from what SD86 has told me are like a Glide-less version of the Pole Cat.

Last edited:
DX is not bad just stay away from the Edge discs, the under 150 gram Pole Cats. Any wind over 5 mph takes them. Do not get the ones from the Innova store that are the Champion Pole Cats, Champion in that from what SD86 has told me are like a Glide-less version of the Pole Cat.

That might not have been me talking about the glideless Champ Polecats, as I've never tried a Champ Polecat. I recently got a Champion Stud from the Proshop, or maybe someone else was talking about the Champ Polecat.

As to lightweight Polecats, while the wind will indeed mess with them, a 150-class Polecat is a great 'get out of jail' disc for tight lies where one can't put any power on the throw. A wrist flick forehand or backhand can get that light Polecat going, and I was surprised at just how good it was when I tried it. I haven't tried anything lighter than 150g, but I'd think they'd work well in windless conditions, as well.

That might not have been me talking about the glideless Champ Polecats, as I've never tried a Champ Polecat. I recently got a Champion Stud from the Proshop, or maybe someone else was talking about the Champ Polecat.

As to lightweight Polecats, while the wind will indeed mess with them, a 150-class Polecat is a great 'get out of jail' disc for tight lies where one can't put any power on the throw. A wrist flick forehand or backhand can get that light Polecat going, and I was surprised at just how good it was when I tried it. I haven't tried anything lighter than 150g, but I'd think they'd work well in windless conditions, as well.

I have seen a 143 gram Edge Pole Cat get taken by the wind, she was a player in one of the youth divisions and she ended up switching to a Soft X Putt'r in 2006 and getting rid of the Pole Cats for the Putt'r near max weight if not max. I eventually gave her my max 175-176 gram soft Elite X Putt'r to her as she would brake her Putt'r that she had till they did the slight concave thing before using them on the course. She had a bag that was something she made in home EC Class based off the purse design pattern and modifying it. It was like those Kesteral bags but home made and well before those came out, she eventually got a Innova Deluxe bag.

Originally posted in "Everything Discraft" thread.

I have been using a Z Putt'r for low wind go for it approaches since they came out. It's too deep to putt with for me. It should've been called the Approach'r IMHO. The Rattler is also good but I find the Putt'r much more comfortable. I can get it to float at chain height and then just drop flat as soon as it gets to/past the basket. Unfortunately the X soft gets puddle topped, as said, which kills the slow glide. Would love to try it in Jawbreaker, Big Z or TI and I really hope that they don't discontinue it.

Yes but I was referring to under 150 gram discs the ones more like 145-146 grams and under if the Pole Cat is to be the main putter. Same I bet would go for the Rattler if it can be that light.

Last edited:
Yes but I was referring to under 150 gram discs the ones more like 145-146 grams and under if the Pole Cat is to be the main putter. Same I bet would go for the Rattler if it can be that light.

Cool beans.

And fortuitous timing: I just got a Champ Polecat from Infinite Discs, 175g (all they had), and took it out for its first round today. I can put a bit more on it than a very light DX Polecat, but I still did not have to throw it very hard to get it going. The Champ 'kitty skips a bit more on the Georgia pine needles than the DX, but other than that it's a fun-to-throw approach disc.

Cool beans.

And fortuitous timing: I just got a Champ Polecat from Infinite Discs, 175g (all they had), and took it out for its first round today. I can put a bit more on it than a very light DX Polecat, but I still did not have to throw it very hard to get it going. The Champ 'kitty skips a bit more on the Georgia pine needles than the DX, but other than that it's a fun-to-throw approach disc.

I ended up picking up five Champion Polecats because I knew I was going to like them, but I wanted a healthy stock just in case.

They are great approach discs up to about 120 or so feet. Anything after that and I have no control over where it goes. 120 and under, it is always within 20 feet of the basket. They also make excellent putters for those 25-35 foot putts. The obvious knock on them, however, is that if they hit the chains just right with its blunt nose, it is like hitting a brickwall and will be rejected.

The only issue I have with my Polecats as that if I get caught between the long putt and short approach distance, they have a tendency to get too loft if I give it any nose up. They will sail above and beyond the basket, and often find a fade they should not have, leaving me well outside of my comfortable putting distance.

For better or worse, I am now giving the Lucid Deputy a shot in the Polecat's spot in the bag. Because of its more traditional putter nose, it has more zip than the Polecat, but the overall flight is almost identical. It also comes out of my hand cleaner mainly because it is not a lid.

I ended up picking up five Champion Polecats because I knew I was going to like them, but I wanted a healthy stock just in case.

They are great approach discs up to about 120 or so feet. Anything after that and I have no control over where it goes. 120 and under, it is always within 20 feet of the basket. They also make excellent putters for those 25-35 foot putts. The obvious knock on them, however, is that if they hit the chains just right with its blunt nose, it is like hitting a brickwall and will be rejected.

The only issue I have with my Polecats as that if I get caught between the long putt and short approach distance, they have a tendency to get too loft if I give it any nose up. They will sail above and beyond the basket, and often find a fade they should not have, leaving me well outside of my comfortable putting distance.

For better or worse, I am now giving the Lucid Deputy a shot in the Polecat's spot in the bag. Because of its more traditional putter nose, it has more zip than the Polecat, but the overall flight is almost identical. It also comes out of my hand cleaner mainly because it is not a lid.

Very similar for me. I haven't figured out my Polecat's max (comfort) range yet, but it's probably going to end up around that 100 ft. mark, maybe a tad farther.

I don't have a Lucid Deputy, and would really like a premium plastic Deputy (Lucid, Moonshine, Fuzion), and I'm throwing a Classic Deputy for now. I also can make do with a an Opto or GL Pure, or even my Lucid Judge or EMac Fuzion Warden. But any of those are beside the Polekitty, not replacing it. Love the Polecat. <3

Very similar for me. I haven't figured out my Polecat's max (comfort) range yet, but it's probably going to end up around that 100 ft. mark, maybe a tad farther.

I don't have a Lucid Deputy, and would really like a premium plastic Deputy (Lucid, Moonshine, Fuzion), and I'm throwing a Classic Deputy for now. I also can make do with a an Opto or GL Pure, or even my Lucid Judge or EMac Fuzion Warden. But any of those are beside the Polekitty, not replacing it. Love the Polecat. <3

Makes me wish I had kept the Soft X Putt'r 173-174 grams I had for an approach disc. That is one of the more ideal discs for that shot, as it takes power to fly well and then goes past the basket for putting so a long putt to approach/mega short midrange shot is what that disc is good for and for up hill puts and down hill putts as the disc just sits down after the throw, another good thing for approach shots. I have since found a Shark does this and more for me so the Soft X Putt'r is not needed.

Update: played another round with the Champion Polecat. Though a full 175g, this 'kitty kept whatever line I threw it on, and was very accurate in all the wind conditions I endured today.

As to ranging the Polecat: there was one shot into tailwinds from well over 100 ft. out. I threw my Lucid Judge to within 15 ft. of the basket, then tried the Polekitty. I put a bit more 'oomph' on it than I normally do a Polecat (rarely threw the DX Polecats with anything but minimum power). The Champ Polecat handled the throw and went very straight... but the tailwinds took the air out from under it and it fell short of the mark. That happened a few times, so my original guess of about 100 ft. and in seems to work best for the 'cat in my bag.