• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

I need to get a lid like a Putt'er but in better plastic then the Soft X the disc comes in. do any brands make a disc that flies and or feels like a Putt'er, I know a Rattler is close but a deeper lid?

Rattlers don't come in premium plastic. And to my knowledge not really...Putt'r has a fairly unique rim.

Originally posted in "Everything Discraft" thread.

I have been using a Z Putt'r for low wind go for it approaches since they came out. It's too deep to putt with for me. It should've been called the Approach'r IMHO. The Rattler is also good but I find the Putt'r much more comfortable. I can get it to float at chain height and then just drop flat as soon as it gets to/past the basket. Unfortunately the X soft gets puddle topped, as said, which kills the slow glide. Would love to try it in Jawbreaker, Big Z or TI and I really hope that they don't discontinue it.

I hate the Putt'r in the Soft X for the same reason as you, only placement putters love the Putt'r and I gave away a first run in Soft X to somebody who has to practice putt until the disc is broken in a bit and puddle topped which happens after about 50-100 putts somewhere in that range. They were using Pole Cats but they just were not liking the ones they had at 143 grams or 134 grams, weight I think was the issue more then putter choice.

Rattlers don't come in premium plastic. And to my knowledge not really...Putt'r has a fairly unique rim.

Don't care about plastic for a putter that is not a driver to midrange distance putter. More just looking for the height and similar curve from top to rim, that odd rim is okay but not the best.

The only mold I've held that felt remotely like the Putt'r was the Graboide from RIP, and I'm not sure they're in business anymore. Not sure how it flies either.

The Upshot is pretty similar to the Putt'r. The curve from top to rim is harder and the rim actually curves inward at the bottom instead of being straight vertical. I don't know if the plastic is any improvement though. I've only got one Upshot and haven't thrown it much b/c it's really heavy, way too heavy for a lid. I've actually been playing with a X Putt'R I found. It's more understable than I like (have to play the turn on almost every approach) but it makes a nice jump-putter, floats and doesn't mess around with the landing like a lid should.

After watching GG toss his sonics around outside the circle, i decided to pick up one for the hell of it (150g is the heaviest i could find). Needless to say i nailed a couple long putts in my round yesterday for birdie look. Really fun disc to experiment with. I wonder if the hype will get big enough to produce these in more durable plastics? (R-pro would be awesome).

After watching GG toss his sonics around outside the circle, i decided to pick up one for the hell of it (150g is the heaviest i could find). Needless to say i nailed a couple long putts in my round yesterday for birdie look. Really fun disc to experiment with. I wonder if the hype will get big enough to produce these in more durable plastics? (R-pro would be awesome).

I just want heavier DX for the disc, I was going to use the Sonic but in the bringing they quickly stopped making the disc past 160 grams and now 150 grams is max. That was in 2007 when I saw a player from the local area use the disc the exact same way that Garret Gurthe uses the disc, as a long putter but he had the 160 gram discs they made for a while. I think the reason they only make the lightweight discs for the Sonic is due to the fact it is used more as a dog competition disc then for disc golf and are for Dog competitions being bought in the lower weights. If Innova made the Sonic heavier then 150 grams then we would have better durability then the Sonic discs on the market today.

Why not make them in Champion, Star, and G Star? they make the Sonic like disc in these plastics so why not use the plastic, discs with the Super____ to the name of them. I know I would use a Star plastic Sonic or G Star as long as disc has glide in that plastic.

If Innova made the Sonic heavier then 150 grams then we would have better durability then the Sonic discs on the market today.

Nope. All DX Sonics are prone to cracking regardless of weight.

Honestly the featherweight Supersonic might be the best kept secret in disc golf short game today. They require next to no snap but lock on target and just float forever. While they'd get punished in windy areas, in the woods, they are magic.

Honestly the featherweight Supersonic might be the best kept secret in disc golf short game today. They require next to no snap but lock on target and just float forever. While they'd get punished in windy areas, in the woods, they are magic.

Yes the supersonic in Champion plastic is the one to use? or is that the Star version worth using?

One of the Latitude 64 male sponsored players from Sweden uses the bigger Dog Disc that the trilogy set of companies make but for the same purpose.

That's why i was thinking R-pro would be great to solve the cracking problem and retain the desired flight path. I don't think they would mold up well in champ type plastic and probably lose their glideyness. They made polecats in R-pro and other plastics, so why not the same with the sonic? Even a pro-shop exclusive would be alright.

That's why i was thinking R-pro would be great to solve the cracking problem and retain the desired flight path. I don't think they would mold up well in champ type plastic and probably lose their glideyness. They made polecats in R-pro and other plastics, so why not the same with the sonic? Even a pro-shop exclusive would be alright.

Yes but HeroDisc a part of Innova makes a Champion and G Star version of the Sonic. The Sonic is just a smaller version then the Hero 235 or the 23.5 Centimeter disc. Those discs both plastics from what I have felt and did a quick putt into a basket at a disc sports store never lost the glide they had. So I feel A Champion or G Star Sonic like the Almost Sonic HeroDisc 23.5 I tested would work for a putter.

Yes but HeroDisc a part of Innova makes a Champion and G Star version of the Sonic. The Sonic is just a smaller version then the Hero 235 or the 23.5 Centimeter disc. Those discs both plastics from what I have felt and did a quick putt into a basket at a disc sports store never lost the glide they had. So I feel A Champion or G Star Sonic like the Almost Sonic HeroDisc 23.5 I tested would work for a putter.

All of the SuperSonics (Champ, Star, Gstar made for dog use though still PDGA legal) are all about 125 grams. The cracking is not an issue and the glide is EXCEPTIONAL compared to a 160+ gram DX. Only problem is wind and a disc that's roughly 50g lighter than most are used to throwing.

The only question is why is it hard or impossible for them to run premium plastic in heavier weights - I feel like Dave answered that question on the PDGA boards somewhere I just can't remember where to find it unfortunately.

All of the SuperSonics (Champ, Star, Gstar made for dog use though still PDGA legal) are all about 125 grams. The cracking is not an issue and the glide is EXCEPTIONAL compared to a 160+ gram DX. Only problem is wind and a disc that's roughly 50g lighter than most are used to throwing.

The only question is why is it hard or impossible for them to run premium plastic in heavier weights - I feel like Dave answered that question on the PDGA boards somewhere I just can't remember where to find it unfortunately.

I have looked online and the SuperSonics from Hero Discs in 235 mold go from 112-115 gram range for the DX plastic to 136 grams for either the Champ or the G Star plastic of the disc, other in those premium plastic are at 130 grams. The same Hero Discs also has a 215 version of the disc that for what ever reason is not certified for Disc Golf on PDGA site even though the mold would pass the newest version of the PDGA standards unless it is just a Sonic with a different name on the top of the disc. Also Hero Discs has a 185 that is too small for disc golf. I looked the discs up under Dog Discs in the disc category on Amazon to find them.

It's just a Sonic with a different name stamped on it. The 215 [Super]Sonic is 100% PDGA legal.

Well regardless, if they could somehow get slightly heavier premium plastic PDGA legal sonic in production that would be sweet (even if they weren't max weight).

Latest posts