• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

I liked the Innova Apple when I tossed it a while back. I used to enjoy my Wham-O! in the yard untilI found out I was a "poser" (haha) anyway. I've been wanting to grab a Rattler, Polecat, Birdie or whatever (or all of em) just for pure fun. Also possibly a Condor but then it may actually make the ba3 r#g and I'd get made fun of by the guys; Zephyr? Bite? Beetle.... So many choices.

Nothing wrong with a Wham-O toy Frisbee. I used one for Disc golf, the Junior Pro model mold at 135 grams in part of my first year as a non wind driver along with a 170 gram Rubber Putter I was given by an uncle. That was until I had to stop using the toy as I felt I was over powering the Frisbee. I did use a Putt'r later as my putter but that was not a choice after a year of trying, bad plastic choice and I had a first run in Soft X, they only made the Pro D for the first run of discs in that plastic only before switching.

I have seen players using a Wham-O toy Frisbee as a putter before and no it was not the 86 molds. They had a 160 gram Pro world model the player was using because they were most accurate with that having played catch with a Frisbee or Ultimate disc. Later the person used a Sonic the Garrett Gurthie did but way before he ever did and used soft Ryhno max weight or later the DX model max weight softened in a microwave for 5 seconds, in a warm car for 1 hour, or on black top for about 6 hours. Now I think he just has a 165 gram Rhyno for when the Sonic became hard to find, if not that then he has the same Sonic mold they were making when regular sonic became hard to find in other plastics but a lighter 130 or 135 gram weight depending on the plastic. That version of the Sonic is the Hero 215 was made for dog competition use originally.

I liked the Innova Apple when I tossed it a while back. I used to enjoy my Wham-O! in the yard untilI found out I was a "poser" (haha) anyway. I've been wanting to grab a Rattler, Polecat, Birdie or whatever (or all of em) just for pure fun. Also possibly a Condor but then it may actually make the ba3 r#g and I'd get made fun of by the guys; Zephyr? Bite? Beetle.... So many choices.

The Condor's not a lid.. it's like a gigantic Roc. They're fun to throw. Then again, so is the Zephyr (which is a lid).. soooooooo sllllooooooooowww...

The Condor's not a lid.. it's like a gigantic Roc. They're fun to throw. Then again, so is the Zephyr (which is a lid).. soooooooo sllllooooooooowww...

Ok, I knew it was one of those. Sorry then the Zephyr is the one I meant. And yes, I love throwing discs that fly @ 240 fps.

Speaking of Beetle, did Lat64 OOP them? It seems like they only did a single run. Was wanting to grab one for catch in the back yard with the kiddos, and to see if my five year old could use it as her first real putter since it's light and insanely glidey.

Speaking of Beetle, did Lat64 OOP them? It seems like they only did a single run. Was wanting to grab one for catch in the back yard with the kiddos, and to see if my five year old could use it as her first real putter since it's light and insanely glidey.

I tossed one around then went to stop by a local shop in my area (shoutout: 'Nati Disc Golf) and they were no longer on the shelf. This was in late 2017 so IDK maybe the single run theory is correct. That spillway plastic was sick though! As a beginner putter There's the Ruby and the Gavel for some easy to toss, available in lighter weight options.

The Upshot was retooled. I still have an original Upshot and it's shallow. The one I throw is deeper.

Original Upshot:
picture.php

Retooled Upshot:
picture.php

Do you know about the hi-flex? They are really shallow compared to regular. They are 'chunky' compared too the regular. They also have 3 rings at the bottom of the inside rim compared to 4 rings on the top of the inside rim of the regular.
Are the hi-flex another retool?
I have 2 hi-flex, one old stamp and one new stamp (4 total). Are there any others?

Attachments

• 1546881758700656472849.jpg
    1546881758700656472849.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 12
Do you know about the hi-flex? They are really shallow compared to regular. They are 'chunky' compared too the regular. They also have 3 rings at the bottom of the inside rim compared to 4 rings on the top of the inside rim of the regular.
Are the hi-flex another retool?
I have 2 hi-flex, one old stamp and one new stamp (4 total). Are there any others?
So Hi-Flex was just the floppy Lightning plastic. I hates me some floppy plastic and I don't think I have a Hi-Flex Upshot. I know I have a Hi-Flex glow Rubber Putter that I used for a bit when I broke my glow Aviar because it was the 90's and finding a replacement glow disc was hard...long story. Anyway, I hated it and should find it and send it to Casey 1988.

But my real point was that the Hi-Flex you posted is the original mold Upshot (note the stamp.) Later on the Hi-Flex Upshot had the same stamp as the orange disc I posted with "Hi-Flex" added in there somewhere; that would be the second generation Upshot. All of the the things you noted as differences between the Hi-Flex and regular Upshot are the differences between a first generation Upshot and a second generation Upshot. That's the key here; you have a first generation Upshot that happens to be in Hi-Flex plastic.

It's weird that you have one with the second stamp, but all that would really mean to me is that the mold change and stamp change didn't happen at the same time. I remember that there were two Upshots, but I don't remember them both being in production at the same time.

Last edited:
So Hi-Flex was just the floppy Lightning plastic. I hates me some floppy plastic and I don't think I have a Hi-Flex Upshot. I know I have a Hi-Flex glow Rubber Putter that I used for a bit when I broke my glow Aviar because it was the 90's and finding a replacement glow disc was hard...long story. Anyway, I hated it and should find it and send it to Casey 1988.

But my real point was that the Hi-Flex you posted is the original mold Upshot (note the stamp.) Later on the Hi-Flex Upshot had the same stamp as the orange disc I posted with "Hi-Flex" added in there somewhere; that would be the second generation Upshot. All of the the things you noted as differences between the Hi-Flex and regular Upshot are the differences between a first generation Upshot and a second generation Upshot. That's the key here; you have a first generation Upshot that happens to be in Hi-Flex plastic.

It's weird that you have one with the second stamp, but all that would really mean to me is that the mold change and stamp change didn't happen at the same time. I remember that there were two Upshots, but I don't remember them both being in production at the same time.

I kinda like the hi-flex for putting. The 2 i have are so shallow, they don't putt like lids. More speed, less glide. Feels a little bit like an xd in the hand. My glow upshot starts gliding if you drop it.
You could send that glow rubber putter my way...

In a lid, Floppy plastic is not good as I have mentioned before with the soft X for the Putt'r. I have a Prostyle Upshot #2 that is not a lid so it works for a putter. However if that Hi Flex is just the stuff with DuPont in the plastic I love that baseline as it is one of the toughest baseline plastics out besides the old version of basic plastic Gateway made before offering the Softness lines from Medium/Firm on down.

I kinda like the hi-flex for putting. The 2 i have are so shallow, they don't putt like lids. More speed, less glide. Feels a little bit like an xd in the hand. My glow upshot starts gliding if you drop it.
You could send that glow rubber putter my way...

The Upshot #2 is NOT a lid, you just made that case for yourself.

I just picked up a champ polecat to try out. I use my old pfn dx polecats all the time. Love them! And I dug out my old Piranha too. First time throwing that sucker in a long time. And hit a 75foot birdie with it! Man that felt good. But yeah, lids are awesome.

I just picked up a champ polecat to try out. I use my old pfn dx polecats all the time. Love them! And I dug out my old Piranha too. First time throwing that sucker in a long time. And hit a 75foot birdie with it! Man that felt good. But yeah, lids are awesome.

After several months, I'm still on a DG honeymoon with my Champion Polecat. And it has held up to a lot of hits on the metal of the baskets and the concrete bases. Let us know how your Champ Polecat does...

I've been trying out all sorts of lids lately and it's been fun experimenting. The rattler is fun, polecat, doggy style, supersonic, etc.

But so far my trusty 150g dx sonic has been quite the utility tool and best suited lid for my bag.

I also noticed on Marshall street they made a premium plastic gateway doggystyle. Super tempted to pick one up and see what it's like.

How are you guys liking the champ polecats? Quite a bit more stable than the regular dx?

How are you guys liking the champ polecats? Quite a bit more stable than the regular dx?

Not really, at least when the DX Polecats are fresh out of the box. My Champ Polecats are 175g, only weight I could get them in. I got a pink 175g DX Polecat for 'Throw Pink' month (October), and it was like the Champ Polekitty: very straight, good glide, very wee bit of fade at the end if thrown with very reduced power. The Champ stays the way it is, though, while the DX will get broken in and a bit touchy over time.

I took my 150g DX Polecat and Sonic to the course today; they were competing against my new 168g Electron Spin. I have heard lid-ish claims for the Spin so I had to test it against my current favorites.

Long story short, I aced a 200' hole with the Spin... but I definitely still like the Polecat the best. Sonic is second place. Spins are fun and lid-ish... but it's not going to kick out my true lids. Yet. Just a tiny flick of the wrist and the light lids will glide laser straight for days. And that's a fantastic tool to have in the thickly wooded courses.

Not really, at least when the DX Polecats are fresh out of the box. My Champ Polecats are 175g, only weight I could get them in. I got a pink 175g DX Polecat for 'Throw Pink' month (October), and it was like the Champ Polekitty: very straight, good glide, very wee bit of fade at the end if thrown with very reduced power. The Champ stays the way it is, though, while the DX will get broken in and a bit touchy over time.

This is my experience as well. The champ polecat's will hold a hyzer too. I don't think DX Polecats do that with any power.

Have any of you kid guys tried a Swan2? I've gotten really great, floaty kid like shots from it but it grips better for me. 200-250ft tunnels are a lot easier with it than anything I've tried.

Have any of you kid guys tried a Swan2? I've gotten really great, floaty kid like shots from it but it grips better for me. 200-250ft tunnels are a lot easier with it than anything I've tried.

I've tried a number of Trilogy putters, including the Shield, Crown, Dagger, Judge, Pure, Warden, Deputy and Marshal, but I never tried the Swan nor Swan2. So many discs, so little time...

Also, I throw my Polecat as an approach disc out to distances 120-125 ft. away. I could throw it farther, but I don't want to. Anything farther out and I'm reaching for my Tomb, Colt, or (now returned to the bag) Mirage.