• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Life after the Buzzz?

brokenfixed

Par Member
My wifes married to her elite X Buzzz. It was her first disc and its her only disc. Shes gotten to the point where she can control wherever it goes and her throws are pretty consistent. Shes now looking for more distance and maybe another disc to graduate to.

I gave her a fairly new shark which seemed to be a bit faster than the buzz but she lost her patience with learning a new disc, gave up, and went back to her buzz.

I understand the importance of learning 1 disc every which way, Im just figuring she could use something a bit faster that she can control. One thing I'll note is she can throw the newer buzz better than a worn in one, what does this say about her form? (Im still in the learning process myself...haha)

something like a Leopard? Easy to control - dont have to overpower it - will get decent results with it even if you throw it the same as a buzzz in the beginning - it will be faster for sure - has decent glide - and won't fade much at all.

I got a dx leopard which she played with once and even sunk a 30' putt, but it wasnt enough to "wow" her...haha

A lighter weight sidewinder may give her extra distance, if she throws backhand, may be to understable for forehand. Most of the women that I've had the pleasure to play a round with usually have a sidewinder in their bag. Other choices...leopard,roadrunner. Again both in lighter weights. And taking her out to say an open field with something to aim at would be better than just jumping right on to the course with a new disc. That way she can get the flight pattern down before using it. Actually, thinking more the roadrunner would be my first choice, it has less fade at the end, and tends to be straighter than a sidewinder. Heavy emphasis...lightest weight you can find.

I am a big Buzzz fan too and when I need something a bit faster with a similar feel I use a elite X XL. Its an easy to control fairway driver and maybe using a disc that is the same plastic will help with the transition.

She was doing pretty good throwing the sidewinder I have but Im guessing because I was using it alot I made it a bit flippy for her or something like that, cause she cant throw it at all anymore....haha

-cdavid74
thats a good idea about the same type of plastic, ill keep that in mind...thanks

i'd say pick one of the aforementioned discs in X or Pro plastic (if innova) and practice a lot - as most seem to be fairway drivers on the understable side, they should all go further than a Buzzz and have little fade.

Another option might be the DGA Squall. It's the disc I reach for when I want something a little longer than the Buzz.

I agree with the Avenger SS suggestion, as I throw that and a Sidewinder often, and I think the SS is a tad slower and more controllable, so the better choice for her.

i just got an avenger for myself and i absolutely love it...it might be a good fit for her, but i'd suggest more so the XL or maybe a Stingray...my wife throws her stingray perfectly straight for maybe 150 feet or so...

If she has the Buzzz down and she's looking to get a little more distance I think a Leopard would be a smooth transition. You don't have to get much power behind it to get good distance out of it.

Latest posts