• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Lifecycle of a disc

MNThrower

Birdie Member
Hi everyone. I did try the search function but just couldn't come up with the right combination of words to find what I was looking for. Point me in the right direction and make me feel like a jerk if necessary :thmbup:

I'm still pretty new to DG and am wondering what the lifecycle is for a disc for everyone - generally speaking - whe it comes to Dx or Pro D.

So for example, take this Dx Wraith that I bought to replace the Pro that I lost last season. I play 2-4 times a week on various courses, sometimes only 9 holes sometimes more than 18 in a day.

Seemed like it took about 2-3 weeks to break in to where I could throw it flat (beat-in to spec I guess), then it took the last 2 maybe 3 months to get beat up enough to become flippy and my go-to anhyzer disc - always throws straight. Now it seems to be getting almost too flippy and ends up becoming an unintentional backhand roller occasionally.

Questions: I'm wondering when do I call this one done and have to start beating in a new one? Or do I just continually adjust my release point as it gets beat up? Are Dx only good for a season or less depending? How long does it take you to break a disc in? Do other manufacturers make discs you have to break in to spec like Innova?

I did buy a Pro and a KC Star Wraith in order to hopefully get some different stabilities with the same mold. Star is ridiculously overstable. The Pro was beat in perfectly last season but unfortunately the phone number karma gods did not shine down on me.

It becomes too beat when it no longer does what its original roll in your bag was. But, you can now use it for other slots... Try hyzer flipping it and see how that works out. Or how about a roller disc? Cycling discs is great, you can use the same mold with that same familiar feel in the hand for many different shots.

I'm disliking dx in distance drivers myself, but keep on beating that star wraith or go with pros. IMO wraiths cycle nicely(ofc because I cycle them myself). The most understable ones I have are for FH shots(yeah, I'm not a powerthrower, yet still can fh easy 400') and BH turnovers/rollers.

Ive had DX Rocs that I have thrown for up to 5 years before they finally cracked. I use them until they break

While discs are important, technique is even more important. I can't blame a bad game on my discs. I threw them. I understand the break in process but that's where a good golfer compensates for the minor details.

DX is terrible for drivers. I only throw Star or Champ. DX lasts about 1 tree hit. It's OK for Putter and Mids. Though personally I can only barely reach 450 feet with my DX Roc mids.

DX is terrible for drivers. I only throw Star or Champ. DX lasts about 1 tree hit. It's OK for Putter and Mids. Though personally I can only barely reach 450 feet with my DX Roc mids.

My main course is FILLED with trees and I can say 100% that this isnt true. Silly statement I see on this forum over and over, dx last a while on trees. When it comes to rocks tho they get shredded.

I call bs on the 450 mids too....

I also started out with a dx wraith from a starter pack and after about a month of numerous noob hyzer bombs, tree smashes and rock chunkers the disc just didn't fly how I wanted it to. Maybe up the plastic to pro and cycle that. Losing discs is part of the game unfortunately. For me, I use primarily discraft ESP plastic because the terrain I am in is unforgiving to baseline stuff outside of putters/midranes. But maybe your dx wraith is a good roller slot now? Keep messing with release angles, it will only help you in the long run!

Last edited:
For mids and putters DX and Pro D is great. Plastic will last a long time.

The Drivers are not so great and have a smaller life cycle. If you are going to get a Driver even if you are a beginner get Pro instead of DX. Or if you are going with the Discraft route get Elite X. The plastic will last longer and I think they cycle better in these 2 plastics.

your throwing rocs 450! i call shenanigans

This is what he posted in another thread
Rhyno-410'
Frenzy-750'
:rolleyes:
I normally don't question peoples distance claims but I seriously doubt he can throw this far. This is a big part of the reason people have a hard time believing people can throw 400-500' much less 750'. Unless he presents evidence such as a video, I will never believe anything he says.

Awesome - thanks for all the responses guys.

This may be a topic for a different thread or already out there somewhere but generally speaking how long does it take for you to break a new Pro or X driver in and do you get more than a season or two out of it in the "sweet spot?"

Awesome - thanks for all the responses guys.

This may be a topic for a different thread or already out there somewhere but generally speaking how long does it take for you to break a new Pro or X driver in and do you get more than a season or two out of it in the "sweet spot?"

Oh yeah man. You get a good season or two with it in the sweet spot. If you are good to it,it can last a lot longer than that.

I have tons of Elite X Comets and I have some older Pro Leopards. They still fly in their sweet spots. I don't use the Leopards as much anymore,but the Comets are my babies.

It probably took me at least 2 months of regular playing to break the new off it. Then it took a bit longer to get it in a sweet spot. I did however have a KC Pro Eagle from back in the day that was trashed and when I traded it it still wasn't flippy.

My main course is FILLED with trees and I can say 100% that this isnt true. Silly statement I see on this forum over and over, dx last a while on trees. When it comes to rocks tho they get shredded.

To be fair, being that he is a Ham Lake native, his home course would be Blue Ribbon Pines. A DX disc will not hold it's stability through a single round out there, especially if it is one that you tee with regularly...

As to the 450' DX Roc comment– I really couldn't say. It's the internet and people like to talk.

In his posts this August, he says that he throws around 400' with a Frenzy. I find that more believable.

I played with birdie machine a couple weeks ago and he put a dx roc with 15 seasons out 480'.

He just doesn't want to show up Wiggins and wreck his record until he sells some more blizzard bosses.