• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Little disc help

LucasP

Birdie Member
I'm new to the dg game, at least new to taking it serious. I throw rhbh and have worked out most if the large bugs in my form and delivery. I still grip lock a shot into a tree and sky a shot straight up once in a while but I'm getting better quick. I'm devoting a lot of time every day to understanding what I'm doing and what I'm doing wrong.

My problems are arising from my plastic I think. I've pretty much stopped throwing my high speed drivers. Katana champ, Vulcan star and a destroyer champ (hate it so far). I max out at 360 but it's so erratic that I can't throw them with confidence yet on the heavily wooded course I play at. So I pretty much throw my eagle dx all the time. I can control it wonderfully for what I want at this point but I max it out at 285-290.

I know there is no magic disc. The course I play has some long holes. My eagle just leaves me with a longer approach shot than I would like. I'm looking for something I can throw and control much like my eagle but with a bit mure distance. I don't think I'm ready for the high speed stuff so I'm looking at the arcangel and the valkerie. I've read a lot about discs but I'd still like input on what I should be looking at buying to help me out a bit. I don't know much about anything but innova, but I'm open to anything.

Thanks

Discraft I'd say either an XS or an XL

Innova I'd go with a champ or star valk, a champ or star roadrunner, star archon or a champ beast.

None of these are overstable or the fastest discs and are pretty easy to control. Hope this helps.

Get a Vibram Trak or Ascent. Both are great discs, and the Trak is a super straight flyer no matter the speed with little to no fade at the end, while the Ascent has a little less glide but has a bit more fade on the end. For me, the Trak will maintain its height for the duration of its flight without floating up like so many discs want to do. This trait would make it ideal for you. Good luck on your search!

Get a Vibram Trak or Ascent. Both are great discs, and the Trak is a super straight flyer no matter the speed with little to no fade at the end, while the Ascent has a little less glide but has a bit more fade on the end. For me, the Trak will maintain its height for the duration of its flight without floating up like so many discs want to do. This trait would make it ideal for you. Good luck on your search!

I actually have an ascent on the way. Ordered it on Tuesday I hadn't remembered when I made this thread. I'm really excited. Never thrown a vibram disc.

I liked my brothers valk. I threw it before I started taking disc seriously. I'll probably pick up a star valk. I like the star plastic on my Vulcan.

What should I look for in weight? Will a lighter disk come out of my hand better but not carry as far? Or heavier where it takes more muscle to get going but tend to be more over stable because of the weight?

I'm coming from a heavy competitive bowling background where heaviest is t always best but has it's place depending on oil and whatnot.