• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Live feed for USDGC

Ouch.

Well,
1) If you didn't go for it off the tee, you would have saved 2 strokes.
2) The fact that you "parked it" indicates you probably weren't aiming for the fat part of the green.

I think if you're going to lay up, you gotta commit to it, and you gotta go for the fat part. Take your 4 and walk quietly to the next hole.

Of course that's easy for me to say.

I agree. There are 4 plays, but no matter the choice, you have to commit.

You can go for the birdie. Then try try try again until you make it. (My preferred strategy with a flexed out wide flick firebird.)

You can go for the 3 by hitting the fat part of the green off the T.

You can go for 4 by laying up, then throwing right, then up and in.

You can go for 3 by laying up, then up and in.

All of those are legitimate strategy's. The problem with them is that when people start missing shots, they tend to "play it safe". Then all of a sudden you're trying to execute a throw you haven't practiced. Gotta stick to the plan. If I miss the first time, I'm assuming it was just a bad throw and I'll hit it next time.

A large majority of players have a projected score of 4 (or higher) on hole 17. Lay up, shoot for the fat part of the green, and take your 3-4 and MOVE ON. From the tee, it's designed to be a difficult shot for a 1000+ rated player. Don't try it!

The caddybook doesn't do it justice, but it starts to give you an idea:
http://www.innovadiscs.com/media/usdgc/caddybook-online.pdf (hole #17).

The left pin position is the normal one. Not sure why they show the right one? Are they using it this week? They weren't on Monday.

The left half of the green feels VERY shallow from the tee. The right half is wide left-to-right, but also much wider front-to-back.

Also, there's a netting above the tee so you can't throw overhand.

You can lay up 50-70 feet off the tee pretty easily. It doesn't ELIMINATE risk for your next shot, but it GREATLY reduces it, especially if you go for the fat part after laying up.

3129054301_78265cefee.jpg

I am fairly new to this sport and I was shocked by how many people laid it up on 17. Don't get me wrong this was a strategy I did not even think of when playing this hole last week. (I live about 5 mins away) I just assumed people playing at the USDGC would'nt be laying up. I feel a lot better about sucking at 17.

I watched a fella throw three buzzzes into the lake. He made it with the 4th shot. I would have packed it in after that.

shoot, at that course it's all about playing to your own strengths. example is i believe mj lays up on 3.

Here are a couple of videos I took in 2004 for the USDGC. This is the old configuration - no lay-up area and the area the videos are shot from are now within the haybales. They give a decent impression of the challenge required to land safely.....but there was no wind that day.

Good throws:

Bad throws (even the YouTube file name ends with Arss!):

Until I get to go, missed qualifying last year by a spot :sick:, #17 still looks like a money sidearm Max/Gator play safe right and take at worst 3. I also have no backhand and have been throwing sidearm for 10+ yrs. I'll have to get the opinion of Paige's Dad once they get back and he'll be able to give me the rundown. Classic hole though no doubt.

For old times' sake here is the old configuration used until 2003. After that the lake was reconfigured into more of a natural area in that vicinity.

yes, there were digital camcorders in 2003!

So the guy with the second highest projected score is winning? Only one person has shot under par all three rounds*(still on the course but -6)? Is there a way to see the leaderboard by # of throws?

So the guy with the second highest projected score is winning? Only one person has shot under par all three rounds*(still on the course but -6)? Is there a way to see the leaderboard by # of throws?

You have to specifically click on a person and a scorecard will pop up with their personal par. Then you have to do that hard maths all on your own. ;)

Yay Chuck, true birdie (net eagle) on #17 today! Got your average down to 6.67 on that hole!

Bjerkaas also makes true birdie (net eagle) and posts -5!

What do you make of poor Brett Burgess? He shoots 70 (self -13) on Monday Qualifying to get in the field, but has now shot 86, 93, 91. Monday's a great time to shoot 40-50 points better than your best round ever, but if you don't back it up, I'm sure somebody will start calling "cheat" regarding the Monday thing. Happened last year, too.

Guess you can say the same thing about Phil Arthur. He shot 57(!) on Monday, and has now shot 86, 75, and 88. At least he had shot 1000+ rounds before, but I'm sure there will still be doubters.

What do you make of poor Brett Burgess? He shoots 70 (self -13) on Monday Qualifying to get in the field, but has now shot 86, 93, 91. Monday's a great time to shoot 40-50 points better than your best round ever, but if you don't back it up, I'm sure somebody will start calling "cheat" regarding the Monday thing. Happened last year, too.

You know as well as I it started a few years ago.. :)

Last year 17 played about as easy as it could with S&D penalty. They made the "fat" part of the green reasonable. I missed it once in 5 attempts, best I've ever done, I think.

It's a tough and intimidating hole, but the shot is not really that hard. The horror stories overshadow the extremely difficult hole 18.

It's so difficult to navigate that course all day and then have the mental capacity left to deal with 17 and 18. I'd guess 11 and 13 are the other extremely difficult holes. I'd be interested to know if 18 yields more strokes over par than 17.

Latest posts