• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lloyd Weema article in Ultiworld Disc Golf

I predict (in the future) , better payouts = fewer players = higher ratings required to get a chance at better payouts. But then again..I would like to see a cut off on each round played. Do we really need more than 4-5 cards on the final day?

Tell that the 1020 rated guy who has to help Lloyd find his drives every other hole.

For one round? Boo ****ing hoo.

As if the 905 rated player is going to be center cut on every fairway? **** happens.

Nate,

I like the change. Just curious if you considered the 935 mark instead of 900? Allow an advanced rated player to play up one division, but don't allow people to play up two more more divisions.

This is legitimate, as I am the one who worked on this proposal through the Majors Committee.

The minimum MPO player rating for PDGA Majors and Elite Series events (NT and DGPT events) will be 900 in 2020. More to come soon.

I like the change. Just curious if you considered the 935 mark instead of 900? Allow an advanced rated player to play up one division, but don't allow people to play up two more more divisions.

I pushed for a higher floor but 900 was what I could get passed through the Committee and the BOD. I would predict that we will push that number higher over the next few years.

Is there is floor on the FPO now?

We did not make any changes to FPO and have no desire to make any adjustments to FPO at this time.

I don't really mind the rule, as 900 is a pretty low bar to clear, but I do have a problem with someone on a PDGA governing body singling out one specific player as a problem. The guy has literally spent thousands of dollars these past couple years supporting the tour. He's an easy target for sure, but I would expect board members to have a bit more class.

I don't really mind the rule, as 900 is a pretty low bar to clear, but I do have a problem with someone on a PDGA governing body singling out one specific player as a problem. The guy has literally spent thousands of dollars these past couple years supporting the tour. He's an easy target for sure, but I would expect board members to have a bit more class.

What BOD member is singling anyone out?

At worlds this year...

88 people made the cut (played a 5th round)

89th place was +10
187th place was +71
188th place (last place...Lloyd) +164

So people are getting upset about the guy in last place who was 93 strokes behind the guy in second to last place not being eligible to compete in the professional world championships?

okie dokie...

There were other competitors rated under 900 who competed this year.

How different would this be than if they said, "You need to have finished top 50% at a B-tier or above in the past 2 years." Would that make people feel better?

Well, that way MPO wouldn't become a ratings-protected division. So it's a step in the right direction.

How about, "You can play MPO if you beat a 1027 rated player at a B-tier or above in the past 2 years."

Because that way, Lloyd Weema could still qualify. He beat JohnE McCray at the Southwest Florida Open this year.

Lloyd also has a win in the MP40 division, although that was a C-tier.

This needed to be done. The sport thanks you.

Why?

Still waiting for a valid answer to that question. Why is it needed? Or more so, why is it needed now?

It's not a pace of play thing because, as proponents are saying, it's not a significant number of people who are now barred from these events. Cutting out one or two players per event isn't going to speed things up noticeably.

It's not a supply/demand issue, as none of these events are turning away more skilled players because these under-skilled players are signing up.

It's not a professionalism/image thing because if it were, why hasn't a similar floor been imposed on FPO? Why is MPO's image of "professionalism" more important than FPO?

I'm not against this because I'm an advocate of Lloyd Weema or any other sub-900 rated player. I fully believe that someday we're going to get to a point in the game's growth where restricting the highest level events will be necessary. I just don't think we're anywhere close to that point yet, and like I keep saying, doing it now is putting the cart before the horse.

Latest posts