• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Lone Star Discs

Got the Glow Lariat, Glow Madcat, and Glow Lone Wolf in this evening. Will try to throw them tomorrow.]

First impressions on look, feel, and rim measurements:

The Madcat is the most accurate reproduction of a Thunderbird I've seen yet. Same exact profile (same nose bluntness, wing shape, and even that same small flat notch right under its nose that both the Thunderbird and Teebird have.) What's more, is its rim measures in the exact same as the Thunderbird's, right down to the hair. Both the Thunderbird and Madcat have a rim width of 19.13ish mm.

A couple months ago I was on a quest for a more overstable and flatter Thunderbird. I eventually settled on a new C-Line PD. The PD flies great, but I've never quite jived with its sharp hand feel. The new runs of Star and Champ weren't quite beefy enough to handle big headwinds, but they were very straight, which is a nice thing in of itself. I was missing the hand feel and flight of 167g Thundervant run of Champion Thunderbird I had, which had a higher PLH and very flat top. This Glow Madcat has the same exact PLH as that Thundervant, and it's very close in flatness. This might be what I'm ultimately after. The cherry on top is that I'm an absolute sucker for gummy plastic, so this could be a grail disc for me. That flat notch under the PLH makes for a slightly sharp nose feel in the hand right now, but I can see it smoothing out after some rounds. I will compare it to my Champion Thunderbird, C-Line PD, and Neutron Volt (very beefy) when I can.

The Lariat strikes me immediately as being an Undertaker, when I look at its profile. It has a large shoulder and is decently domey, and has the same flat L-Wing shape to its wing that the Undertaker does. I don't have any Undertakers on hand currently for a completely accurate comparison. What I do know is different however is that the Lariat has a wider rim than the Undertaker. I recall the Undertaker's rim being in the ~18mm range, while this Lariat's rim measures in at 19.55mm. This disc seems like it would be a slightly faster Undertaker. I will compare it tomorrow against a Glow Lots, which I found a little too flippy (flies like a -2/1 instead of -1/2), and also doesn't glow for crap. I'll also throw in my current go-to straight 9 speeds in my main bags, which are a 400 FX-3 (flies like a -1/2), and a 500 FX-3 (flies like a -1.5/2).

The Lone Wolf is an oddball. LoneStar describes it as being an aerodynamic profile, which I guess is halfway true. I was expecting something modern and rounded looking like the Hex/Reactor/Lobster from MVP, but what I saw when I took it out of the box was a Roc3 that's been squished down. I took one of my Color Glow Roc3s and put it side by side to the Lone Wolf, and its top half is the spitting image of a Roc3. Same exact nose shape, same shoulder raise, and same extremely flat top right after the shoulder. It almost looks as if LoneStar stole the top half of the mold to the Roc3. The bottom half has the same Roc3 wing shape and bead to it, only imagine it being squished to half the height. The result is a weird looking disc that's extremely thin in the hand. Its rim measures in at 13.1mm, compared to the 12.7mm of the Roc3, 13mm of the Buzzz, and 13.36mm of the Lobster. The very low wing of the Lone Wolf makes me think it'll be quite flippy. I'll compare it to a Fresh Lobster tomorrow.

First impressions of how the Glow Madcat, Glow Lone Wolf, and Glow Lariat fly:

The Glow Madcat flies just like how I thought it would fly upon looking at its PLH. It's definitely more overstable than a fresh Champion or Star Thunderbird, and maybe even a hair more overstable than a somewhat fresh C-Line PD. It's very reliable into a headwind, where it will penetrate straight for quite a ways, then have an aggressive fade. The C-Line PD was finishing very close to where the glow Madcat ended up. By comparison, both Thunderbirds were turning then fading for more of a straight flight into headwinds. 9/4/0/2 or 9/5/0/3 are my numbers for the Glow Madcat.

The Glow Lariat flies beautifully! It showcased less turn and equal fade than the Glow Lots I have. Glide seems decent. The Lots would turn and never come out of it in a 10mph headwind, whereas the Lariat would turn mostly, then fade back at the very end somewhat. 9/5/-1/1 seems dead on.

The Glow Lonewolf was more flippy than I expected. If a fresh Lobster is a 5/5/-2/1, and a beat Lobster is a 5/5/-3/1, then the Lonewolf is pretty much a beat-in Lobster (maybe even a hair flippier). I'm not sure if it's going to be a keeper for my glow bag/winter bag, but for the moment it's all I have. Even if its profile is very weird, it still feels great in the hand, because of how gummy and soft the glow plastic is. It's a very easy hyzer-flipper.

Your assessment of the Mad Cat is very similar to what I have seen with mine. It's like a 9/4/0/2.5 and while it has some glide, that turn number is a firm 0. Not like a less that 1, so we will say 0.

I've used it a ton for backhand skip shots in the 270-300 range and 300-350 shots where it has to get left at the end.

Will use it forehand sometimes on shots where I don't want to throw as hard as I can or don't want much fade.

Nikkos in the bag are out…would link it but not on my computer……lots of OS drivers, very few throwing putters

I was disappointed that Nikko didn't have a Glow Tombstone in his bag. That thing is maddening overstable.

I was disappointed that Nikko didn't have a Glow Tombstone in his bag. That thing is maddening overstable.

That might be one of the few molds he didn't have in his bag. Pretty sure he had most of the rest. Really came across as more of a sales pitch than what he'll actually be bagging when the season kicks off. Just doesn't seem like the kind of guy to lean on something that flies like a Leopard.

I think he has temporary flippy molds in the bag for now, and he'll eventually get cycles going of OS molds. Btw, I can't rate the Glow Lariat highly enough.

Got some Glow Warbirds and a Glow Texas Ranger in today.

Glow Warbird. Upon first inspection and feel, looks like a beefy Destroyer. Rim seems to be nearly as wide as a Destroyer, PLH rather high, but not very much dome. I'm inspecting something dumpy but fast. Put up next to my Star Destroyers, has a slightly higher PLH (matches my Calvin Destroyers, but without the dome). Measuring its rim, I was getting between 22.8 and 33.1mm in different places. I was wondering why I was getting such erratic results. Then I realized whatever process they use to remove the flashing on the PLH is inconsistent. In some parts of the disc, the flashing is noticeably protruding. Luckily they sand down very easily.

Throwing them during a round, they are very beefy and glideless. Very comparable to my Calvin Destroyers, only their fade dumpier than the Calvin Destroyers. Funny enough, on forced anhyzers, the Glow Warbird is no hurry to get out of it, and I actually found myself burning one into the ground early, whereas the Calvin Destroyer would flex out. Flight reminds me of a Mint Discs Goat, or a Destroyer with no glide. Not sure if I like it just yet. Will beat it in some.

Glow Texas Ranger looks and feels very much like a Roc3, only I prefer the gummy plastic quite a bit. Putting it next to a Color Glow Roc3, and the nose and wing profile are very much the same, only the shoulder raise is shorter than on the Roc3, so overall it's a thinner/flatter disc than the Roc3. Measuring its rim, and it has a wider rim than the Roc3 as well, so I'm predicting something a little faster and flippier than the Roc3.

In flight, it's beautiful! True -1/1 out of the box. Easy flip, but consistent and mellow fade. This is very much a broken in Roc3. Glide seems average-- nothing to write home about. On full flexes it gets about as much distance as a Buzzz. It seems a little faster than a Buzzz, but not as glidey. Definitely a keeper.

Glow Lariat continues to impress a great deal. Slightly faster/better Undertaker is my best description of it. Glow Lonewolf is more flippy than my first impressions of it. -4/1 seems more accurate. Definitely Sol territory. I don't find it very useful on anything requireing more than 30-40% power, but boy is it fun for low effort finesse hyzer flips through wooded fairways up to 250 feet.

Finally saw some of these at a local place.

OS mid was in a gummy plastic that seemed to be leaching like Prodigy plastic does (weird powdery, sticky stuff on the surface).

The drivers I checked out were rock hard, slick and had sharp flashing.

Hopefully they figure out the issues.

Finally saw some of these at a local place.

OS mid was in a gummy plastic that seemed to be leaching like Prodigy plastic does (weird powdery, sticky stuff on the surface).

The drivers I checked out were rock hard, slick and had sharp flashing.

Hopefully they figure out the issues.

That's interesting, I've never noticed flashing on their drivers. Some on the softer blend slow discs though.

I have a glow mockingbird in my glow bag. It's taking some learning curve to figure out the power and angles but it shows awesome promise. A little slower but fall ish. Pretty flippy but capable of some dead straight flights. My biggest issue so far is it would be a spectacular roller but the softer plastic causes unpredictable landings. It often bounces and changes angles after the bounce.
My glow bag is relatively minimal and I think it will be versatile enough to cover the flippy spectrum.

What would be their glow disc that fits in the wraith or stable wave slot?

I have a glow mockingbird in my glow bag. It's taking some learning curve to figure out the power and angles but it shows awesome promise. A little slower but fall ish. Pretty flippy but capable of some dead straight flights. My biggest issue so far is it would be a spectacular roller but the softer plastic causes unpredictable landings. It often bounces and changes angles after the bounce.
My glow bag is relatively minimal and I think it will be versatile enough to cover the flippy spectrum.

What would be their glow disc that fits in the wraith or stable wave slot?

For this slot they have two discs that are close; the Curl is like a slightly beat Wraith out of the box and would be close, if you want a little more speed and stability the Warbird is their Destroyer type disc.

For this slot they have two discs that are close; the Curl is like a slightly beat Wraith out of the box and would be close, if you want a little more speed and stability the Warbird is their Destroyer type disc.

I was guessing Curl. Do they fly similarly in Glow to Alpha/Bravo?

Glow Curl: I think the Curl is definitely more comparable to a Tern than a Wraith. Its wing shape is very close to the unique look of the Tern, with a very shallow depth and feel. The Curl isn't quite as fast of a disc as the Wraith or Tern either. Both the Wraith and Tern have rims measuring in at 22mm wide, while the Curl's is 21.3mm. This puts it closer a Surge/SS in speed. Flight wise, the Glow Curl is beautiful! Out of the box it has an easy drift it, but consistent fade. I'd rate it as a 10.5/5/-2/2.

Glow Dos X: I was quite surprised by the profile and feel of the Dos X when I first saw it. I was expecting a gradual taper to its wing given its -1/2 flight rating, but it looks closer to an Eagle than anything. Very scooped wing, and a nice blunt nose. Rim measures in at 18.8mm, putting it in the same speed of a Volt (also 18.8mm). I'm not the biggest fan of the feel of the very scooped wing, but the gumminess of the glow plastic helps alleviate this to some extent. Flight wise, this is definitely not -1/2. I wouldn't call it a beefcake, but it's definitely somewhere between a Teebird and Eagle. Good speed and penetration, but a harsh and reliable fade. 0/2 seems about right. Almost a Thunderbird. Seems like the perfect speed and stability to cycle to have one mold cover all your fairway needs over time.

Glow Mockingbird: Very comfortable feel and profile to the Mockingbird. Wing is your traditional flat 'L' Wing, which fills the hand nicely. Big shoulder raise and a consistent dome gives it a nice deep feel in the hand, which I appreciate, as usually deep hand feels are confined to overstable stuff. Given the big shoulder raise and good dome, this looks like it would be extremely glidey. Rim measures in at 17.4mm, which is a hair smaller than Teebird/3s, which sit at 17.88m. This looks like it would compare really well to a River. Flight wise, the -2/1 seems spot on! This reminds me of a River that actually has a little bit of fight back at the end. Rivers have an easy flip and tremendous glide, but never seem to fight out of the drift easily. The Mockingbird has the same easy flip and great glide, but will pan back a little left at the very end. Really fun disc to hyzer-flip for huge sweeping hyzers down wooded fairways. Love it. KA KAW!

So does anyone know if Hooligan Discs are an offshoot of Lone Star or is Lone Star just doing the molding? I ask as I have a Yeet (couldn't resist the name, and it's a Destroyer clone which is a double win) coming to me as well as a Victor 1 Armadillo.

So does anyone know if Hooligan Discs are an offshoot of Lone Star or is Lone Star just doing the molding? I ask as I have a Yeet (couldn't resist the name, and it's a Destroyer clone which is a double win) coming to me as well as a Victor 1 Armadillo.

So I've been throwing the Dillo around a bit and it's like the best, yet weirdest combo of a Berg, a Rhyno and a Polecat. It's got the thumbtack from the Rhyno, the lack of glide/fade of the Berg and the rim bluntness of the Polecat.

So will Lonestar be releasing footage of their team day event? Will any others be doing in the bags?(Nikko has one out)

So far the Bravo isn't much less stable, but I've only tried the Middy and Mad Cat in both plastics. I would say probably -.5 in turn more. Alpha middy and mad cat don't turn at all unless I anhyzer and the Bravo hints that it could turn.

Now that you've been throwing the Middy in both plastics for a while, I have some questions I'm hoping you can answer...

Are you still finding the Bravo Middy to be less OS than the Alpha? Most of the reviews say the opposite.

I'm looking for a disc with better HSS (i.e. less likely to turn into a headwind) than my Lucid Emac Truth & Lucid Verdict while not giving up too much distance (as compared to those discs). Would the Middy fit the bill? (You rated the glide at a 4 in another post, so that has me worried.) Which plastic would you recommend?

Thanks!

Latest posts