• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Lone Star Discs

Now that you've been throwing the Middy in both plastics for a while, I have some questions I'm hoping you can answer...

Are you still finding the Bravo Middy to be less OS than the Alpha? Most of the reviews say the opposite.

I'm looking for a disc with better HSS (i.e. less likely to turn into a headwind) than my Lucid Emac Truth & Lucid Verdict while not giving up too much distance (as compared to those discs). Would the Middy fit the bill? (You rated the glide at a 4 in another post, so that has me worried.) Which plastic would you recommend?

Thanks!

I decided not to re-up with Lonestar for 23, so I don't have either in the bag any longer. But I had the Alpha Middy in the bag all year and it held up really well, not much turn an a gradual late fade. It did lose some of its high speed stability, but never got flippy.

The Bravo and Glow that I had, started less stable but they didn't really beat in at all, I think the Bravo plastic might stay at the same stability the longest of their plastics.

Can you explain why the 4 glide is concerning? I feel like to gain a very high glide number a disc has to have some turn, so if I would rate it less than a -1 out of the box i probably wouldn't give it a 5.

Right now I'm throwing the Amber Gila in that slot and it is a touch more HSS than the Middy and a touch faster, so it fits my throwing style really well.

Anybody thrown a Copperhead enough to compare to a Harp, Zone, etc? What kind of rim profile does it have?

Can you explain why the 4 glide is concerning? I feel like to gain a very high glide number a disc has to have some turn, so if I would rate it less than a -1 out of the box i probably wouldn't give it a 5.

Only concerning because I want to make sure the Middy isn't going to be too much shorter than my other mids (Emac Truth & Hex). For example...

My Lucid Verdict only gives up a little distance to my Emac, but isn't quite HSS enough for a headwind.

My Vapor Method gives up almost no distance, but also isn't quite HSS enough.

My ESP Malta is HSS enough, but gives up quite a bit of distance.

I could go on & on with other OS mids I've tried...

I'm hoping to find that unicorn with enough HSS, but that also has enough distance potential. I may need to go up in speed to achieve this combo of HSS & distance. The online flight charts (which assume the rated 5 glide) make it look like the Middy could do what I want. They're not to be trusted, though! LOL

Last edited:
Only concerning because I want to make sure the Middy isn't going to be too much shorter than my other mids (Emac Truth & Hex). For example...

My Lucid Verdict only gives up a little distance to my Emac, but isn't quite HSS enough for a headwind.

I'm hoping to find that unicorn with enough HSS, but that also has enough distance potential. I may need to go up in speed to achieve this combo of HSS & distance. The online flight charts (which assume the rated 5 glide) make it look like the Middy could do what I want. They're not to be trusted, though! LOL

It can be tricky man, i don't give out a 5 unless I'm really impressed. I feel like way too many companies throw a high glide number to try and cater to lower arm speed players. The Middy is very good, but I am really digging the Gila. The Bard is also a great option in that neighborhood.

Picked up a glow Armadillo on a whim. Didn't think it had a chance to make the bag but just wanted to try a new piece of plastic.

After tossing it in the backyard a bit and then playing a round with it today I think it's staying in the bag.

I've dabbled with the Berg before but it just didn't tickle my fancy. I'd say the Armadillo is a close cousin to the Berg. For me, it feels better in the hand and comes out cleaner than the Berg but has a similar lack of glide and little to no ground action when it lands. Everyone likes to describe discs as "holding any line you put it on" but I'd say the Armadillo really fits this description. Throw it flat and straight and it just goes straight. Holds hyzers and anhyzers easily.

I doubt I'll use it off the tee much but if I'm 150' out and need a predictable placement shot either forehand or backhand I think it will see a lot of use.

Also, the glow in this thing is crazy. As good or better than pretty much any of my other glow discs.

MD4 / Solstice has been my go to for this. Quantum Solstice seems to be both longer and slightly more HSS than my Verdicts. I'm not sure its going to have a ton more LSS than your EMac though.

That said, if I'm throwing hard into a headwind and I want distance, I'm almost certainly discing up from a mid. Big diameter shot shaping disc doesnt exactly scream "throw me in wind!"

Just received my first ever Lone Star disc. I had looked at other molds, but the wing shapes of many of them just didn't look like something I would enjoy, and I have way too many discs. Well, the new Harrier looked like me, so I got one. The shape could not fit my eye better. Nice almost perfectly uniform dome with a sleek wing with a slight concave curve. Think mellow Destroyer. Overall, it reminds me a lot of the Clash Honey in shape. Numbers are 12/6/-3/2. Hoping for a controllable Katanaish flight. I should know by the end of the day today.

I threw the Harrier three times side by side with Katanas and a Corvette. It's looking like this mold may not be for me. The mold it reminds me of the most is the Tenacity. Into a slight wind, the turn was severe as one would expect with -3. On the other hand, I had trouble flipping it up downwind. It may be a dead wind only disc, but will try to get some on course throws soon.

I got a Bravo Mad Cat. Basically a 9, 4, 0, 2 disc. I really like the plastic though. It's tacky and flexy like Pro plastic but seems very durable. Kind of reminds me the old Glopto runs when you'd have opaque gummy Opto.

Just played a quick solo round with my brand new Armadillo. Man this thing is everything I wanted my Berg to be! Slow, little glide, easy to range, and best of all releases easy off my (smallish) hands! I also like that it's a bit less stable than my Berg. Thanks for the guidance as usual dgcr!!

Just played a quick solo round with my brand new Armadillo. Man this thing is everything I wanted my Berg to be! Slow, little glide, easy to range, and best of all releases easy off my (smallish) hands! I also like that it's a bit less stable than my Berg. Thanks for the guidance as usual dgcr!!

It's a disc of the year candidate imo. Being able to full send it either Bh or Fh and just run the basket without leaking too far puts approaches on easy mode.

Tried a Bravo Curl out lately, very Graceful. Maybe a bit more overstable at the end.

I wanted to like the Armadillo and just couldn't. Every manufacturer has a few molds that I just can't find a way to enjoy, and this is top of the list of unliked molds from Lone Star. I ended up loving the Copperhead as an approach putter though.

Could somebody explain what is the Founders plastic? I go to DG Puttheads to look at the flight charts but they don't list Lone Star Discs for some reason.

Could somebody explain what is the Founders plastic? I go to DG Puttheads to look at the flight charts but they don't list Lone Star Discs for some reason.

It's like metal flake champ basically, a little gummier and doesn't always make the disc more stable.

Founders - Similar Metal Flake Champ or Metal Flake Lucid if you are familiar. Most overstable of the opaque plastics (though there are always exceptions) Usually specifically reserved for Tour Series/Team discs and/or Fundraiser discs.

Charlie - (Founders without Metal Flake) very similar to Champ and Lucid although slightly gummier/grippier. Usually reserved for Tournament Fundraiser or Event Discs and special runs. Slightly less stable than Founders.

Founders - Similar Metal Flake Champ or Metal Flake Lucid if you are familiar. Most overstable of the opaque plastics (though there are always exceptions) Usually specifically reserved for Tour Series/Team discs and/or Fundraiser discs.

Charlie - (Founders without Metal Flake) very similar to Champ and Lucid although slightly gummier/grippier. Usually reserved for Tournament Fundraiser or Event Discs and special runs. Slightly less stable than Founders.

I've got some of the old Bravo that is basically what they are calling Charlie now. Probably their hardest wearing plastic despite the gummy feel.

So did these guys just get all the popular molds from Innova/Discraft/Latitude and just reverse engineer them for their own molds?

I know other companies do the same, but considering these guys have released so many molds in such a short time, it's rather obvious.

So did these guys just get all the popular molds from Innova/Discraft/Latitude and just reverse engineer them for their own molds?

I know other companies do the same, but considering these guys have released so many molds in such a short time, it's rather obvious.

Actually no. While one would assume that, Lone Star Molding is an injection molding company that specializes in oil field gaskets and other oil industry plastic needs. Disc golf is a side gig pet project. The owner's two sons picked up disc golf a couple years back and convinced dad during Covid to mill a few molds in house and make a few discs for their own use. The first few molds were extremely flippy or ridiculously overstable. Almost laughably so. They grew from there, using their own oil field industry grade plastics which is WAY more expensive and durable than regular disc golf plastics. They have since tweaked and created plastics blends and keep tweaking molds to create new discs. I actually find it hilarious when people try and switch to Lone Star (the mass AM team) and they ask for a mold that flies like (insert Innova Mold here) and there isn't anything to compare it to one for one because they didn't clone anything. As they have grown and learned from trial and error. They have their own machines to mill molding plates, their own injection molds, and a disc golf course on site to test the discs. They design, mill, mold, test and tweak really quickly. And they listen to their pros input on what type of mold to make next. The rush to get so many discs approved so fast was a result of the owner wanting to field a pro team and needing to fill in the lineup. I highly doubt there is anyone of the 5 family members who make up the entire Lone Star company taking measurements off other peoples discs to try and copy them. They have better things to do.