• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Lone Star Discs

I mean to be fair it is a sales commercial, and while Nikko is correct in saying if you were to try every disc in their lineup you would probably end up bagging multiple discs, its a dreadful commercial. Not giving them a pass, but it was their second commercial as a disc golf company and their first with a marketing director with no prior experience in disc golf marketing.

I will say this for the company, they sponsor tons of juniors and pay their entry fees for tournaments. Which is cool. Maybe the huge amateur team they amassed is a way of getting their plastic out there to be tried by non normal customers. I don't know how things are in your area, but in mine there is a local disc golf shop with "tester" discs. You can practice your putting with an assortment of discs from several manufacturers and a small driving range (basically a large warehouse space with throwing nets). Several of the sponsored pros and lower level pros who also vend events, have multiple molds to test and throw before you buy. Brian Shintaku does for sure as I've visited his vendor tent at several different events.

When our local high school added disc golf to the curriculum I reached out to several manufacturers. Lone Star sent a box of 50 discs for free, so that was pretty cool of them.

All that said, I hate that commercial and eye roll every time I see it. I can confirm that the plastic is high quality and feels amazing, several molds are awesome while others are definitely very skill level specific (from very flippy beginner discs to only pro level beef).

It must be a matter of frequency. I have watched live coverage every weekend, and see this commercial 3-4 times per weekend. It was only a matter of time before it started getting under my skin, lol.

To be fair no one in this area that I am aware of throws Lone Star so we have no frame of reference.

So I have been enjoying some LSD in my glow bag the last couple seasons. We play glow all winter in CO (thanks time change) so the soft bravo like glow is great for me and my aging hands. For the less stable side of mids I have a space race hex that I wish was flippier and a Lone wolf that's quite a bit too flippy. I want something in the beat in buzzz or fresh Z comet kinda stability. Rip on it flat and it tracks right but doesn't really turn or a flip up to almost dead straight flight. I have no issue with my older Z buzzz, comets or iguana in the day bag but have yet to find the right glow disc.

Can anyone tell me if the glow harpoon or texas ranger is what I want? (or have one for trade so I can find out myself?)

What you are describing sounds like the BB6 (comes in glow) and flies that line. Some people do not like it as it has a deeper mid range feel to it. They just released a disc in between the BB6 and the Lone Wolf in stability called the Bearcat. The only current glow versions I know of are Founders Color Glow from the Thanksgiving release and may be hard to get or out of stock currently. But should be available in regular glow soon as a standard production run. These feel almost identical to a Texas Ranger or Buzzz SS for reference. Flight numbers on them are 5/5/-2/1 and the two I have (in regular Bravo) are touchy power wise but at about 70% power they fly a try pushing slow turnover line with just a little back to straight fade the last few feet of flight. This is at sea level, so probably at elevation in Colorado this may be a much straighter disc for you. Down here at sea level the Texas Ranger does exactly what you describe, but when I played in Flagstaff at 7'000 feet the Texas Ranger flew quite a bit more stable for me.

I was one of those that didn't like the BB6, but I did like the feel and flight of the Texas Ranger. Their glow is usually a little less stable, so I bet the glow would line up well as a similar flight to the cobalt Iguana. They would feel quite different though.

Maybe I'll just hound Josh to bother Gateway until they run Armor Glow Iguanas lol.

I was one of those that didn't like the BB6, but I did like the feel and flight of the Texas Ranger. Their glow is usually a little less stable, so I bet the glow would line up well as a similar flight to the cobalt Iguana. They would feel quite different though.

Maybe I'll just hound Josh to bother Gateway until they run Armor Glow Iguanas lol.
How about some Fossil Glow Iguanas...

Or have I missed a Fossil run of Iguanas?

Super glow iguana would solve my problems for sure. My protos actually have enough glow agent in them that they glow a little, but not nearly enough to play... Especially in our partially lit parks. My glow gila is already similar stability (less hss and more lss) than my beefy hex, so maybe it will just take that slot eventually...

What you are describing sounds like the BB6 (comes in glow) and flies that line. Some people do not like it as it has a deeper mid range feel to it. They just released a disc in between the BB6 and the Lone Wolf in stability called the Bearcat. The only current glow versions I know of are Founders Color Glow from the Thanksgiving release and may be hard to get or out of stock currently. But should be available in regular glow soon as a standard production run. These feel almost identical to a Texas Ranger or Buzzz SS for reference. Flight numbers on them are 5/5/-2/1 and the two I have (in regular Bravo) are touchy power wise but at about 70% power they fly a try pushing slow turnover line with just a little back to straight fade the last few feet of flight. This is at sea level, so probably at elevation in Colorado this may be a much straighter disc for you. Down here at sea level the Texas Ranger does exactly what you describe, but when I played in Flagstaff at 7'000 feet the Texas Ranger flew quite a bit more stable for me.
Thanks, I have a couple throws on a BB6 in the past and found it a little less stable than what I would like for this slot. Feel isn't a big thing for me aside from liking a little softer when its single digit temps. I will probably jump on a BB6 or a Texas ranger if I come across a deal.

Can you compare the Texas Ranger flight at sea level to a normal buzzz or other common mid thrown at same elevation?

How about some Fossil Glow Iguanas...

Or have I missed a Fossil run of Iguanas?
Not to thread jack more than we already do, but I would be fine if Glow Fossil just became standard base. The Glow Fossil Scales and my glow Gila are some of my favorite base RDG runs ever.

Can you compare the Texas Ranger flight at sea level to a normal buzzz or other common mid thrown at same elevation?
The Texas Ranger (I have them in several different plastics) is a longer straighter buzzz in glow, alpha, and delta plastics. They eventually beat in to nice controlled turnover or hyzer flip to straight discs. Delta beats in quicker than the premium blends. The Bravo, Charlie, and Founders plastics are more 5/5/0/2 in their flight, especially new and take much longer to beat in. My Bravo Ranger that I've been throwing for over a year is just now flying a straight line thrown flat and not turning or fading. I say longer and straighter than a buzzz because I used to throw a Buzzz in this slot and I can reach holes with the Ranger that I used to have to disc up to a fairway to reach previously because the Buzzz just was barely too short to reach.

Not to thread jack more than we already do, but I would be fine if Glow Fossil just became standard base. The Glow Fossil Scales and my glow Gila are some of my favorite base RDG runs ever.
I've been throwing the glow Gila all year, it's really beat into the perfect mid for what I need. Great disc.

Got a couple of sick birds with the Scale at last weeks glow as well.

The Texas Ranger (I have them in several different plastics) is a longer straighter buzzz in glow, alpha, and delta plastics. They eventually beat in to nice controlled turnover or hyzer flip to straight discs. Delta beats in quicker than the premium blends. The Bravo, Charlie, and Founders plastics are more 5/5/0/2 in their flight, especially new and take much longer to beat in. My Bravo Ranger that I've been throwing for over a year is just now flying a straight line thrown flat and not turning or fading. I say longer and straighter than a buzzz because I used to throw a Buzzz in this slot and I can reach holes with the Ranger that I used to have to disc up to a fairway to reach previously because the Buzzz just was barely too short to reach.
Impressive. The Squall and Kaxe are two of the only mids I have consistently pushed further than a buzzz. You say straighter than a buzzz, I assume that is less fade/straighter at low speed?

Impressive. The Squall and Kaxe are two of the only mids I have consistently pushed further than a buzzz. You say straighter than a buzzz, I assume that is less fade/straighter at low speed?
When I say straighter I am referencing the swing off the straight line left to right throughout the entire flight when thrown flat. Like different runs of Buzzz's and plastic types, some Texas Rangers are more overstable late in flight than others, or slightly more understable in the early flight (in more base plastics) than others. Also when I say longer than a Buzzz, it's probably only 20-30 feet. Interesting that you mention the Kaxe. I've only thrown one a few times but I remember it being a 6 speed and shaped very similarly to the Texas Ranger profile wise, though I think the Texas Ranger has a blunter nose than the Kaxe and a sharper nose than the Buzzz.

Several new releases and updates from Lone Star recently worth mentioning:

Spur: 9 4 0 3 overstable Firebird/Felon esque disc that the line up was missing. The Mad-Cat filled more of a Thunderbird role whilst the Chupacabra was a baby tilt.

Wrangler: 9 5 -1 2 overstable glidy 9 speed with some flip up, similar to the Lariat with a more distinct pushing late fade.

Bearcat: 5 5 -2 1 the shallow rimmed understable midrange most players were looking for and slots in between the Texas Ranger and BB6

Horny Toad: 4 4 0 3 the Zone/Harp disc everyone was wanting. Big difference in flight characteristics based on plastic type which allows players of different skill levels find the right one for them from straight and glidy with hard late finish to super beef right off the shelf.

New Bravo Plastic Blend: The new Bravo blend is still gummy but slightly stiffer than older runs and durability issues were addressed supposedly to improve this plastic

New Alpha/Founders Glow: Previously only Bravo Glow was available. LSD has expanded into Alpha and Founders Glow options.

Delta Plastic Putter Releases: For those who like hard, tacky, and quick to beat in slower speed discs, LSD has started running their putter lineup in Delta plastic which is still slightly softer and grippier than DX or Classic and more similar to KC Pro or Classic Medium both in feel and durability. Some mid ranges are already being released in Delta also.

Spur and Horny Toad were discs I really wanted when I was on the team in 22. Should be good additions for them.

So I've thrown about half the lineup and the only one I really fell in love with was the Texas Ranger...though some of the more US stuff was definitely fun to throw, and the Benny and Bluebonnet make great putting putters.

The Texas Ranger is like a Roc and a Comet had a baby both in terms of feel and flight. I've been itching to really put my Delta 1 through a full test cycle as my winter workhorse mid, especially since I bet I can get Comet flights out of it once it beats in.

Latest posts