• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

long straight throws with mid-range

It's about technique as long as the the disc choice isn't on the extreme ends of things, as has been said many times.

When I couldn't throw as well (with as much spin on the disc) Rocs would go straight and float for a while, then dump left fairly significantly. Once I was getting more spin and throwing them slightly more nose down than before, they go dead straight and just lose altitude with maybe a slight fade that I don't even account for anymore on a normal throw. That being said I'd prefer to throw a more neutral mid for a dead straight throw, but just saying that I've seen my technique change the flight of the exact same disc from a fading finish to nearly dead straight.

Also, if you need to throw a shorter straight throw, a putter will do the same thing over a wider range of distances. The mid you need to throw with a certain minimum amount of power to trust that it will drop before it fades.

I agree the tuned Rocs produce some magical flights. But if you have to spend a few weeks/months/years to get the DX Roc tuned in perfectly before you can even learn how to throw this shot, that's just not very user-friendly to newer players. And once you put in all that work to tune it perfectly, do you use it on water hazards or woods? What good is it if you can't risk losing it or upsetting its perfect tune by whacking trees?

Buzzz SS and Buzzz and Wasp and Hornet cover all that straight Roc territory for various wind conditions and various amounts of hyzer. And they fly properly when brand new. Very similar grip on all of them. Easy to learn, easy to replace.

This is why us Roc fanatics usually cycle about 3 different dx rocs throughout the season so we have 3 similar discs and in case one gets lost we have 2 back ups.

These very valid points are among the many reasons I believe that the Roc is the most over-rated disc in disc golf. It is NOT a bad disc, it just isn't worth the hype that surrounds it.

Lol

Of only innova made a tougher base plastic that you could pair with the dx roc...so you could beat one in to flippy or or straight and then keep your tougher roc so as not to worry about one tree changing the flight drastically on your perfect dx...because they are already flippy.

Last edited:
OAT

I agree that throwing long straight mid-range shots is about eliminating OAT. If the top pros can throw a Buzzz or a Roc straight for 400 ft without turning it over then you don't need a more overstable mid to do the same. Bottom line on eliminating OAT (which you can see as a wobble on your disc in its early flight) is to have a clean release that doesn't impart a last split-second change in the motion of the disc as it leaves your hand. I think getting a clean release may mean you need to tweak your grip or work on keeping the disc on a line through the release.

Lol

Of only innova made a tougher base plastic that you could pair with the dx roc...so you could beat one in to flippy or or straight and then keep your tougher roc so as not to worry about one tree changing the flight drastically on your perfect dx...because they are already flippy.

If only another manufacturer made both discs in tougher plastic so you wouldn't have to mess around with beating one in to flippy. :-|

I agree that throwing long straight mid-range shots is about eliminating OAT. If the top pros can throw a Buzzz or a Roc straight for 400 ft without turning it over then you don't need a more overstable mid to do the same. Bottom line on eliminating OAT (which you can see as a wobble on your disc in its early flight) is to have a clean release that doesn't impart a last split-second change in the motion of the disc as it leaves your hand. I think getting a clean release may mean you need to tweak your grip or work on keeping the disc on a line through the release.

I'd say it's more about controlling OAT. You can throw a straight shot with many stabilities by using OAT correctly. Otherwise, you'd have to have a perfectly straight disc to throw straight shots.

If only another manufacturer made both discs in tougher plastic so you wouldn't have to mess around with beating one in to flippy. :-|

You certainly can! But no disc stays the same regardless so you're still fighting the same battle.

Myself, I am partial to x comets for that shot if you are not wanting to cycle anything. They're beautiful fliers.

It's called a Wasp. Or Aftershock. Or Mace. Or Ghost. Or M3 (I think). Or any other Roc clone.

A flippy Roc is called a Comet. They come in X, Z, and LE ESP.

Yet people still cycle Rocs, dealing with these adversities like they're not adversities.

Lol

LOL :rolleyes: (Didja really Laugh Out Loud at that? Really?)

I knew that would bring at least one Roc-ette fluttering out of the woodwork to challenge me. You did notice I said it wasn't a bad disc right? It's not. But between having to pick between flight numbers vs Pre flight numbers, San Fransisco vs Toronto (or Marino vs Ontario, whatever...), finding the right plastic, this run vs that run, Regular vs 3, DX vs Pro etc, etc, etc, the Roc is not a great disc for a newer player who just wants to throw a basic hyzer flip. An X Comet, Tangent, Fuse, Buzzz SS and many others I'm forgetting will do that without the drama involved with Rocs. It is a successful mold, but it's time is passing and at this point it is very over-rated. In my opinion, and the opinion of many new players who aren't forced to cycle discs due to a lack of good options, it's far easier to buy discs that can hit each line. After all, why try to cycle the same disc and keep track of which is your overstable Roc, which is your stable Roc, and which is your flippy Roc. Buy a Buzzz SS, Buzzz and Buzzz OS (coming soon) and call it a day.

Mufan, skip the Roc. Get one of the other molds listed in your thread (there are many good suggestions) and call it a day.

Last edited:
I don't know if any aspect of disc golf is popular enough to be overrated. hardly a roc-ette, I just bought a couple dx and kc rocs, 12x, a few weeks ago and instantly fell in love with their glide, stability and workability throughout their lifespan..which sometimes is only a round if I tag a tree at full blast.

Definitely not for straight shots until seasoned, so it is eliminated.

I will, however, posit the comet as easiest to manipulate once you get it dialed in. You can throw it for hyzerflips and also throw it flat and straight once you learn how. So easy to throw far and sloooow.

Also loved the axis, but that requires a little more power or worse form to flip. The alias has little fade and is a small notch up from the axis is terms of stability. the tangent is similar to a comet but more torque resistant. Very close to true neutral. I'd say go with a tangent or an elite x comet. Preferably a lighter one. I threw the fuse for a while. It's great but it's no comet IMO.

The true answer lies within your technique, however. These are all good discs to start trying those kinds of shots with, but you already have an issue turning and burning them.

Last edited:
To the OP, I'd start with a DX Cobra. They're cheap and easy to find. Academy Sports has them.

Ask friends and anybody else that's pretty nice to let you have a few throws with their mids. You'll find something you can use.

Pretty sure that's a putter on a slight nose up stall approach. Nice but not quite ops question.

It's called a Wasp. Or Aftershock. Or Mace. Or Ghost. Or M3 (I think). Or any other Roc clone.

A flippy Roc is called a Comet. They come in X, Z, and LE ESP.

Yet people still cycle Rocs, dealing with these adversities like they're not adversities.

Sarcasm detector fail, ha ha JK. Yeah I totally agree... like I posted upthread I like the Hornet, Wasp, Buzzz, Buzzz SS combination to cover all the range of shots where others use different flavors of Rocs. I probably should also work a Comet into the bag.

...between having to pick between flight numbers vs Pre flight numbers, San Fransisco vs Toronto (or Marino vs Ontario, whatever...), finding the right plastic, this run vs that run, Regular vs 3, DX vs Pro etc, etc, etc, the Roc is not a great disc for a newer player who just wants to throw a basic hyzer flip. An X Comet, Tangent, Fuse, Buzzz SS and many others I'm forgetting will do that without the drama involved with Rocs...

Well stated. I have seen some people throw incredibly beautiful flight patterns with seasoned Rocs, but it's never, ever been a newer player. Obviously the skill and disc seasoning of good Roc throwers takes a long time to develop. And some of those people are fond of telling stories about some special perfectly seasoned used Roc they're looking for to replace some longlost favorite. Drama indeed.

Just start out throwing your putters straight and don't worry about distance. It's all about getting a smooth clean release. Once you are able to throw your putters straight consistently then move up to the straight mid of your choice and you will be able to do it. Throwing putters does wonders for correcting form issues as they will not cover up form issues like a high speed driver will.

For newer players there is only one roc to worry about. DX roc. Most common. Super affordable. Start with one and eventually add another one when the first one gets real flippy. now you have a turnover and a stable disc that feel identical in your hand rather than having multiple molds. you will be a much better golfer by REALLY learning a disc. Or do this with ANY disc. Experiment with powering down etc and you will be driving straight all day or whatever is needed on command.

Of the mids you have, or else find one, that feels comrotable, and is straight like you want for the early part of the flight at least, and fades at the end.

Practice this shot somewhere open. Practice it a lot. Two things will happen: your technique will improve, and the disc will start to beat up and change into the straight flier you want.

The shot you describe sounds like an "air bump," throwing with a downward trajectory but not nose down. Seems like that's a lid-related shot, I try to avoid it, but you see some good players throw that way. Whatever works.

The shot you describe sounds like an "air bump," throwing with a downward trajectory but not nose down. Seems like that's a lid-related shot, I try to avoid it, but you see some good players throw that way. Whatever works.

When you need to drop in/down from an overhead obstical without a lot of room for forward fade to the basket, there's nothing that replaces a good hyzer flip that stalls out just past that obstical.

It's a thing of beauty.