• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Longer Comet?

The glide turns too easy to be a form judge.
The eclipse would give you everything youre asking for but im unsure if youll see that much of a distance difference.
The river, being the fastest will hide flaws more then the other but its straight and glidey.

It seems like you want to focus on building a solid platform, if so, id strongly suggest the clone as it will allow you to continue to add power, but still keeping it clean.

If you'd like to try a Glide, I've got a Z 169 7+/10 (ink). They go a good way with a hyzer flip and are pretty effortless to get up to intended speed. It is beedless, so it wont feel much like a Comet in the hand, nor will it hold all those whacky lines that the Comet can, but it will certainly turn and burn if you don't release it properly. Let me know if you'd like to give it a shot. They are real purdy when you chuck 'em just right.

I really haven't thrown one in a while to know completely, but in terms of glide and height sensitivity... the Gateway Sabre. Especially in lower end plastic, it's gonna be too stable in HPP or Evo.

This because the cylcone will tell you more about your form than most drivers. When your throw is bad it will only go a little farther than your comet. When your form is on it will bang out there like any other fairway disc. It also requires a clean smooth throw and will help you to start spin snapping some discs.

How much farther should the Cyclone be going than the Comet if I throw it correctly?

^ It will fly as far as you can throw it. Not trying to be a smart ass. Without a distance for your Comet, your question is unfortunately moot.

^ It will fly as far as you can throw it. Not trying to be a smart ass. Without a distance for your Comet, your question is unfortunately moot.

Haha, no worries. Just took out the Comet for the first time today, not sure on distance. I was just curious if there was a baseline distance more that I would be getting from the Cyclone.

a comet on a hyzer?

Using it as a form fixer, regardless of release angle. But I did find it to be pretty sweet on a hyzer. Just trying to decide if I should go with something similar that will penalize bad form but give more distance, or just keep working with the Comet.

glide, river, beat roc rancho 4/10 those should work leopard is good too.

River, Squall, TL, Glide, Aftershock, Fuse, Buzzz SS. The last three are mids, but are pretty long for mids

How much farther should the Cyclone be going than the Comet if I throw it correctly?

tbird is "right" but there is kind of a round about rule I've found with the Roc and Cyclone. Cyclone flies more like the Roc than the Comet but the Cyclone will tell you some stuff about your form that other discs won't. If you have a Roc learn to throw it 300' minimum. Then start throwing the Cyclone. If the Cyclone is thrown incorrectly it will only go a teeny little bit farther than your Roc. If thrown correctly it will bang out there an extra 50' or so.

tbird is "right" but there is kind of a round about rule I've found with the Roc and Cyclone. Cyclone flies more like the Roc than the Comet but the Cyclone will tell you some stuff about your form that other discs won't. If you have a Roc learn to throw it 300' minimum. Then start throwing the Cyclone. If the Cyclone is thrown incorrectly it will only go a teeny little bit farther than your Roc. If thrown correctly it will bang out there an extra 50' or so.

Thanks cfair, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I have been tweaking my form so much lately, I think I just need to stick with the Comet for a couple months and build up some real consistent form. But the Clone will be next on the list, for sure.

Thanks to all who contributed with their advice in this thread, as well. The information here is endless, and I love it.

An under-appreciated disc (if you can find them) that flies like a very fast, very long comet is the inferno. For a fast disc it is unbelievably straight and has phenomenal glide. It can be thrown 300 ft. dead straight with little effort and little end fade. It can also be thrown very far as a high helix or lower hyzer-flip. It also works great as a very long turnover disc. Yes, this disc is touchy, it's easy to end up 100 ft. right of target on a 350 ft. shot, if over-powered.

Thanks cfair, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I have been tweaking my form so much lately, I think I just need to stick with the Comet for a couple months and build up some real consistent form. But the Clone will be next on the list, for sure.

Thanks to all who contributed with their advice in this thread, as well. The information here is endless, and I love it.

... not to be a total troll but you didn't ask if there was anything wrong with the cyclone...

Good cylcones are hard to come by now. If you can get a hold of any old TP or Ron Russel cyclones those are the best. Next are Walled Lake tooled ESP cyclones. I know TP and Ron Russel are hard to get a hold of and I don't know if the Walled Lake ESPs are a new tool, or old tool. But they do fly different than whatever the other ones are. Also, avoid Zs. XClones and ProD cylcones. I haven't thrown X Cyclones.

hmm... interesting. I've never liked any I threw. And they felt and flew very different, but they were all the other tooling. Would you know what ones you threw craftsman? Were they walled lake, or no idea?

Not sure if I am up for that much hunting. I am hoping that by improving my form with the Comet it will translate to my drivers.

hmm... interesting. I've never liked any I threw. And they felt and flew very different, but they were all the other tooling. Would you know what ones you threw craftsman? Were they walled lake, or no idea?

I believe theyre the walled lake.
....Sorry, im not at home, theyre the same tooling as my cactus stamps.