• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Longer mid dilemma

mattw

Double Eagle Member
I was wondering with the longer midrange discs being released do you find that they overlap with your fairway drivers to much. I have found that if I carry mids like the Warship, Super Stingray, King Cobra they overlap quite a bit with my fairway drivers. It gets to the point where I don't even throw my QJLS as much as I use to. Not sure If I like that or not. If I hit the course with a lineup of QOLS, QOLF, King Cobra, Super Stingray, Zone and Rattler I have the bases covered distance and shot wise with no gaps. Anyone else questioning the need to carry a fairway driver? I am having issues with the idea of pulling the QJLS because of the fact that I was always told you have to have a control driver in the bag. But a disc like the King Cobra can reach those distances for me and it powers down nicely for shorter mid shots.

Good point. Those longer mids are realy easy to control on multiple lines and tight places. Which is what I carried the QJLS for.

I use a buzzz and comet for mids, I only bust out the Leo's if I'm playing a really long but tight course. Buzzz and comet for up to 300', Sidewinder and boss for up to 400'.

On my home course, I'm finding somewhat the opposite true. I only use fairways or slower (none of that hyper speed stuff) and my drives have gotten longer and straighter, thank you DX Teebird. So what I'm having to do now is really work on powering down my mids or even going straight to a putter after my drive. Before I'd pull out my mid and throw it and forget it, but now I have to be more careful. I guess this will be a good thing in the long run, but right now it's kinda messing with my score!

Good luck with your "dilemma" :D

Agree. Who cares about what each disc is 'supposed' to be for. Just throw whatever works best for you

This for sure. I saw a guy with a stack of wraiths hitting 30ft. putts over and over again the other day. If that doesn't prove that it's the indian not the arrow nothing will.

I think it depends on your game. I've thrown the king cobra and the super stingray and don't feel that I could throw them as far ,while maintaining accuracy, as I can my eagles or teebirds. I think it's because I feel like I can put more power on my fairways without worrying about them turning over or overpowering them.

SS and KC I could comfortably and accurately throw about 290-300. While my TB and Eagle can push to 350-375.

Anytime I can get the same result with a slower disc, I will almost always choose that disc.
The only time I don't is when I have to throw the slower one so hard, the shot is less consistent/repeatable, or when the faster disc hits the right line easier.

The market is just flooding with all kinds of discs that didn't get made before. I haven't added any new discs to my bag just because of this type of conflict. If you think throwing the SS/KC combo and dropping your fairways gives you a competitive advantage, or is more fun, then have at it.

I feel like I can carry both fairways and mids in my bag and have more shots covered (and be more comfortable with my discs since I've been throwing them for years) than by adding/carrying tweeners like the speed 4.5-5 & 8-8.5 type discs that have been coming out lately.

I was wondering with the longer midrange discs being released do you find that they overlap with your fairway drivers to much. I have found that if I carry mids like the Warship, Super Stingray, King Cobra they overlap quite a bit with my fairway drivers. It gets to the point where I don't even throw my QJLS as much as I use to. Not sure If I like that or not. If I hit the course with a lineup of QOLS, QOLF, King Cobra, Super Stingray, Zone and Rattler I have the bases covered distance and shot wise with no gaps. Anyone else questioning the need to carry a fairway driver? I am having issues with the idea of pulling the QJLS because of the fact that I was always told you have to have a control driver in the bag. But a disc like the King Cobra can reach those distances for me and it powers down nicely for shorter mid shots.

In my experience, a understable mid in right conditions, can blow by a Fairway driver with some stability. I have bombed my Element super long at times.

Sill, my understable fairway, the River, can blow by my distance drivers in the right conditions as well.

So it is about knowing stability and conditions, but really, the overlap is not a problem, because the way the shots shape are different.

The only time when i feel like something is missing between my buzzzes and my orions is when i am trying to "build" my bag. i never feel the gap on the course. Stick with what works and carry less discs if you can. less choices and less weight always seem to help me out on the course .

I've been using less and less of my mids actually. I trust my wizard for up-shots more than anything. So I've been the opposite. Using my leo's for anything that my wizard wont reach...

I did throw Stalkers for awhile and they did overlap with quite a bit of what I was carrying. They're one of those in between disc imo

I've been using less and less of my mids actually. I trust my wizard for up-shots more than anything. So I've been the opposite. Using my leo's for anything that my wizard wont reach...

I did throw Stalkers for awhile and they did overlap with quite a bit of what I was carrying. They're one of those in between disc imo

Agreed, I find myself going almost right to my putters for anything within 150 ft. of the basket, basically I've cut midranges out of my bag completely. Only time I use them is when it's too windy to throw a putter that far.

Agreed, I find myself going almost right to my putters for anything within 150 ft. of the basket, basically I've cut midranges out of my bag completely. Only time I use them is when it's too windy to throw a putter that far.

3rded. My Magnet and Banger combo fits the 250ft and under category unless a tighter S turn is needed. Then it's the Roc or Trak.

My mids and fairways see 90% of their use on the teepad. I use them all, depending on distance and the line, but once I get off the teepad and out on the fairway i always reach for a wizard to get me by the basket. I only approach with mids when it's windy really.

i find the leopard can do off the tee what my fast mids(cro, spider) can do, but with less effort and less mistakes, also less power

i mostly use my mids for upshots outside of the range i can saftly throw a putter and sometimes for short ace run wooded holes.

the eaglex also makes a good consistent long mid like driver