• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Longest staightest driver with least amount of fade.

i try to tell him every time he's throwing the COMPLETELY wrong disc for that, but he swears he's done it before :\ yeah right

This is the answer I hear most often given in the face of sound DG advice.

Yeah, you did it once, in a heavy headwind, with so much OAT that you nearly tore open the space-time continuum.

What about the 20 times it didn't even come close to working?!?! :wall:

straightest longest drivers i have thrown are the star TeeRex and champ Boss, both will fly flat without hyzer/anhyzering for around 500'

even though the TeeRex is listed as a slower driver, i throw them the same distance...not sure why

I had an old Viper that was nice and stable all the way... unfortunately it took years to get in to do that.

Off the rack, I'd go with Avenger SS or an Orion LS. Never thrown them, but seen them thrown a lot. Very long and straight.

Both Stalker and Teebird come to mind depending if you are on the Discraft or Innova side of the fence. But I think the Avenger SS is as long if not longer and far more straight than both.

River might be ok at 300' but still think your going to get some turn. X XLs can do this line pretty well.

straightest longest drivers i have thrown are the star TeeRex and champ Boss, both will fly flat without hyzer/anhyzering for around 500'

even though the TeeRex is listed as a slower driver, i throw them the same distance...not sure why

That's because that fancy term "speed" that Innova made up to sell discs really doesn't have all that much to do with actual distance potential of said discs.

Last edited:
straight driver

The long straight shot is a tough one for anyone to pull off, with any discs, because discs all have high speed turn and low speed fade, so even if you stay straight for most of the flight, they tend to tail off to one side at the end.

If you are asking for shooting, say, a straight tunnel shot, where you cant afford fade at the end, I use the Secret Weapon, from ABC discs (yes its PDGA approved) because it requires not much power to throw it flat, and the disc refuses to fade. Its uncanny, but the thing just dies at the end, and its easy to get distance with it because of its glide and slight understability. If you are trying to add a straight shot to your bag, Id start there.

TL is also quite straight, but still has the fade on the end, if you dont mind that.

The long straight shot is a tough one for anyone to pull off, with any discs, because discs all have high speed turn and low speed fade, so even if you stay straight for most of the flight, they tend to tail off to one side at the end.
There are a few discs that both turn and fade minimally for a wide range of speeds. A beat Teebird is one of, if not the longest of them.

River, River, RIVER.

River is still a bit too squirrely for me yet. Where I can stuff the Striker straight out I end up all over the place with the River.

I'm sure that has everything to do with my technique and nothing to do with the disc however.

Not all discs have high speed turn. Firebird, Predator, Wizard, Ridge, Roc, Teebird, Stalker...just to name a few. The fade is the problem. You need a disc that you can power well enough to keep straight for a long time, but you won't turn over. The effects of fade can also be minimized if you can keep your throw close to the ground, but some shots won't allow that.

If you are asking for shooting, say, a straight tunnel shot, where you cant afford fade at the end, I use the Secret Weapon, from ABC discs (yes its PDGA approved) because it requires not much power to throw it flat, and the disc refuses to fade. Its uncanny, but the thing just dies at the end, and its easy to get distance with it because of its glide and slight understability. If you are trying to add a straight shot to your bag, Id start there.

TL is also quite straight, but still has the fade on the end, if you dont mind that.

Just placed an order for the lot of ABC discs and am excited to throw the Weapon.

Was using beat DX Teebirds at Hawk Hollow this weekend to shoot the gap on #7 and they were working great. My Lat64 Rivers don't like wind from any direction.

It all depends on power you have. I would say:
<250 Leopard
<300 XL, JLS, TL
<350 DX Teebird (broken in)
<400 P-PD (Broken in)
<450 ESP Surge (Broken in)

And the best disc for going straight with no fade for anyone 250 power up to 400ish (with good form of course)
S Sabre, just needs more height than most, the second best disc Gateway ever made.

Last edited:
When I hit it right I can get a 165g Star Teebird dead straight at 400 feet. Problem is, when I get too confident I start laying in the OAT trying to squeeze a little more distance out of it.

I have had some good success with a heavier 175+ Gold Line River.

A really good seasoned Star Boss if you have the power. Otherwise, if you can handle a wide S-Curve, I can get a Z Nuke to finish in line with the tee box.

At medium power I have really liked the heavier Champion Sidewinders recently, great glide with little effort.

However, these are all personal preferences that seem to change monthly. As a whole though, over the last year nothing has been more consistent than a seasoned Star Teebird.

There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread. I'm assuming that you throw in the 280-350 max distance range. For me the longest straightest disc for this distance is the "super JLS". I'm talking about the Orion LS. It's longer than a beat in DX TeeBird (my second choice) but it is a little more squirrely. The standard plastic gets flippy fast but it only wears so much and then it makes an excellent understable long driver. It's weight sensitive. Heavier is more stable. Sirius plastic lasts much longer than standard Millennium plastic and is more overstable.