• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lookin' for a flick disc...

It's not hyzering out early, but it's coming out with more speed than my backhand. I've tried using my DX Valkyrie, but even throwing with a lot of hyzer, I still flip it over into a roller. I've done it with my KC Teebird and KC Eagle, but I don't get a lot of glide out of those. I'm just looking for something with more distance that will be predictable.

Try a champ Valk. It will likely give you similar turn-and-burn at first, but it's not the disc, it's your form. Work on keeping it smooth and releasing at the right angle and you'll see much more success. If you start with something overstable like a Firebird or PD, you're going to develop bad habits that will be hard to shake.

Get a Beast, and don't look back. They just fly so beautiful, and with minimal effort. I like mine around the 165 range. Hardly any turn, and very little fade.

I have to second this one right now. I just got a used Champ Beast (everything else is fairway or slower) and it flies dead straight with a touch of right hand fade at the end. Check it out!

Wow, so many people recommending overstable high speed discs for a guy who is throwing <300 ft. You don't need an overstable disc to flick, in fact if you use an overstable disc you will find yourself throwing anyhyzer releases to get the disc to stay up i the air long enough. What you really want to do is get a neutral disc with a predictable medium fade that is not max speed like the Champion Orc and teach yourself how to throw a flat flick that goes out really straight and low with a nice little comfortable fade at the end.

Wow, so many people recommending overstable high speed discs for a guy who is throwing <300 ft. You don't need an overstable disc to flick, in fact if you use an overstable disc you will find yourself throwing anyhyzer releases to get the disc to stay up i the air long enough. What you really want to do is get a neutral disc with a predictable medium fade that is not max speed like the Champion Orc and teach yourself how to throw a flat flick that goes out really straight and low with a nice little comfortable fade at the end.

^This

Also, you might want to wait to buy a new disc until you're locked in to one form.

i dont use them now but i started learning with star beasts 165-172.
they taught me everything about line shaping forehand
very straight with minimal fade. great point and shoot kinda driver.
after that then find something more overstable. i went from beast to orc.to teerex to xcal
just take it slow and work on form

Wow, so many people recommending overstable high speed discs for a guy who is throwing <300 ft. You don't need an overstable disc to flick

Truth.

Learn to flick with something neutral (a disc that you already have will work fine).

Try a champ Valk. It will likely give you similar turn-and-burn at first, but it's not the disc, it's your form. Work on keeping it smooth and releasing at the right angle and you'll see much more success. If you start with something overstable like a Firebird or PD, you're going to develop bad habits that will be hard to shake.

Yeah a Champ Valk will likely work a bit better for you. IME, the newer DX Valks are very understable right out of the box. That, coupled with some probable form issues (you're not likely to be overpowering the disc at sub-300' power), is probably why you're flipping them so easily. Moving to a Champ Valk will help address at least part of that problem.

But your biggest issue is likely form related. Barring any physical limitations, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get any of the discs you've already mentioned (Firebird, Teebird, Wraith, etc.) out past 300' easy. Personally, I'd just stick with those, check out some videos/tips online, and practice, practice, practice.

Yeah, like I said before, I was just wondering what else is good to toss flick style for when I can add a little more power to it. I throw hyzer flips with understable discs for my backhand 'cause I don't have a lot of power from that side, so I don't have a lot of power from my flick either.

Right now, I'm just taking a three step walk up, using a two finger stack grip and gripping it real firm with my thumb on the flight plate between my fingers, and just popping it out flat. It's coming out real straight with a little anny if I pop it out a little harder, but they're all pretty smooth (almost no flutter out of my hand) and they all finish right of the line I'm throwing on.

I've got a JK Champ Valkyrie and a C-Line PD, but they're both only 150. I can hyzer flip those real well backhand, so I don't think they're stable enough. But thanks for all the disc tips. When I get that flick flying farther, I'll give a Beast or a PD a try

Last edited:
You want anything neutral for learning. A Leopard or Shark (<170 Elite-X Discraft Comet is my ultimate recommendation). As has been stated ad nauseum already, your Valkyrie is burning on you because of your form. If you can learn to throw a neutral disc without it acting like your Valkyrie, you will be throwing bombs in no time.

For the record, I'm a primarily FH thrower and throw everything in my signature FH and BH, even the extremely understable Flying Squirrel.

Its basic physics. You are throwing a disc, with rotation. It all depends on how you're throwing and spinning the disc. Due to physics, all discs are good discs for backhand or forehand. I think it is important to practice throwing all ranges of stability forehand, as you would backhand. Watch big Jerm throw, he throws a meteor and it goes right(backhand) and he throws a meteor to the left forehand with the exact same flight path, just mirrored.

I drive almost exclusively FH. From Innova I use an Xcal & Orc. The Xcal might be too fast. But give an Orc a try. I'm a fan of overstable disc for my FH, but never was enamored with the Firebird. If you want to try Discraft I'd recommend a Flick or a flat topped Pulse. Both are very overstable, but I found them to be both easy to control if you have enough snap and I can get them both out past 300' course distance.

I've been working on my RHFH using a 155g Blizzard Krait and I'm loving it. Not a whole lotta love for that disc it seems like, but I find that it holds a line well, provided you get a good snap and finishes with a predictable fade. Usually get between a 250-280 ft drive out of it. Works better into the wind, which is strange because its a blizzard disc. Other than that, you might want to give a heavier Mamba a try.

I hear you on love for the Krait. I had a 155 in my bag for a while until the DD2 came out in Blizzard; I'm using that for distance shots now... I can hyzer-flip it backhand and stretch it to about 350' depending on the snap.

I'm still going to keep throwing my backhand flips mostly, but flicking is helping me get birdies on anny holes and tighter shots. The Firebird and Wraith work real well for me... the KC Star Wraith is pretty stable for being only a 166. But when I can stretch it out, the disc advice will be appreciated.

I drive almost exclusively forehand, and I don't have a ton of power. I'm in that same range you are, like 250+ but not breaking 300 very often. I like discs that are fairly high speed stable, and NOT too overstable low speed-wise, similar to the Krait. I find that they stay straighter, and don't fade way off course. The SL is a speed slower than the Krait, and it's very predictable straight line distance with just enough fade to fight off a turnover. I do agree that it's best to learn forehand/sidearm with a less stable, slower driver. I have a pancake flat 150g champion leopard that really helped me clean up my forehand form.

KRAIT! Krait, Krait, Krait...I cannot stress this enough. Most of my drives are RHFH...I got a skip ace with a Champ Krait that I had only owned for about two weeks. The Krait is a super money FH disc. I have been using the Dominator a lot lately, but you really need some FH power to make that thing work like it's supposed to.

I will also FH a Wraith or a Star Destroyer, but both (again) require quite a bit of power without tourquing it. I can actually hyzer flip the Destroyer FH, but it took me a long time to figure out that shot.

Krait does not require a lot of power, despite it's speed rating, so I would definetly pick that up. Not a huge fan of Blizzard Kraits (which is wierd because I love my Blizzards in other molds) but if you can make it work for you, I think you'll enjoy it.

Latest posts