• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Looking for a new approach putter backhand / forehand

The Pro plastic Pigs from the Innova Factory Store are money for this slot. They're not floppy like RPro Pigs can be. They're shallower than a Rhyno so easier to forehand. They don't skip as much as a premium plastic Zone or Gator, so more hit and stick even though they're very overstable. Great disc for approaches and short hyzers.

I've been searching the best approach disc for forehand for quite some time now.

What I've tested:
- Champ Rhyno
- Proton & Neutron Envy
- GlowZ Zone
- Ultrium & Premium Jokeri
- Medium, Hard & VIP Harp
- K2 Berg

Rhyno didn't work for me at all. Really had trouble to get clean release.

I like Envy flight but I feel like it does not handle power that good. It's a really good touch FH dics with really straight flight but I could not trust it.

Zone is nice: always straight to fade. Easy to throw and get clean release. Only thing missing is glide.

Jokeri: Really popular disc here in Finland. Rim is deeper than in Zone. But the disc has more distance potential and glide.
Jokeri is also easy to throw. Flight is straight without big fade but has nice HSS.

The only thing I don't like is the sharp bottom of the rim: it really scratches the skin of the side of my index finger with forehand throw. I keep coming back to Jokeri every now and then. It's a good disc.

Harp has similar kind of flight as Jokeri: same distance potential, stability, fade and glide. To me it feels like it has a bit shallower profile. And big rounded bead feels better to throw than sharp bottom of Jokeri.

Harp is somehow easier to turn and burn with bad shot than Jokeri. Harp is not flippy by any means but I feel like it's easier to get cleaner release with Jokeri. Jokeri has a bit slanted rim (plus-ish) vs straight rim in Harp.

Berg feels amazing in hand but I feel it's better for backhand. It's a slow disc but it felt too slow for forehand.

I like Envy flight but I feel like it does not handle power that good. It's a really good touch FH dics with really straight flight but I could not trust it.

How far were you throwing them? I've never seen an Envy that would turn on a 250' / 75m forehand throw, as long as the thrower had good form. It's definitely not a disc like a Zone where you can just wing it as hard as you want with no regard to OAT, but it holds up to power just fine IME. I flick mine in the 175-250' range every single round I play.

The Harp is a Zone and Breaker mashup, and I like these slots distinctly separated. If you want something a touch more OS, go with the Soft X Zone. If you want a slightly shallower straighter Harp, try a Soft X Ringer. Slightly OS and sticks where it hits. They're coming out with some Z Ringers for this year's Ledgestone tourney. Will be available on Marshall Street sometime this month.

They're coming out with some Z Ringers for this year's Ledgestone tourney. Will be available on Marshall Street sometime this month.

Ledgestone Cryztal FLX Ringers already exist. I got one and it's identical to the SP Flex Breaker. So if you want a Z Ringer, get a SP Breaker.

I gotta put in another vote for the Jokeri. Its shape resembles a Pure and pair perfectly with one

Ledgestone Cryztal FLX Ringers already exist. I got one and it's identical to the SP Flex Breaker. So if you want a Z Ringer, get a SP Breaker.

I haven't felt or thrown that run of of Cryztal FLX Ringers, and I'm pretty sure they are unavailable by now. Maybe they can only run premium plastics in the modified Ringer mold, the Breaker, because of the way it shapes up? I don't know....I do know that a fresh D Ringer is still less OS than my beat SP's, which I've gone through about 8. (I'm throwing the run of Prolines that have that metallic sheen to them, and I think they're more OS than the SPs.)

Anyway, Ringers always felt shallower to me. I was thinking the Z Ringer would be a straighter out the box SP Breaker. Maybe not...

I was thinking the Z Ringer would be a straighter out the box SP Breaker. Maybe not...

I wish I took a pic, b/c this isn't the first time this has been questioned. Except last time, it was something about the shoulder being different. Side by side, I couldn't see any difference in shape, height, depth or PLH.

All that said, you still might be right. The Cryztal FLX Ringer flew straighter out of the box than a 8/10 SP Breaker, and the SP, Glow and Flex Breakers I have all fly the same.

I had the same issue, and if you want the same flight with a shallower ("cleaner") profile, Zone is the correct answer. Mine is in Ti FLX plastic, which is bendier than I might like in most models, but is about perfect for this disc because it likes to sit and not skip. The Prodigy A series is also really easy to throw forehand, but the fade on the A2, at least on mine, was more overstable than the Harp or Zone. Envy is definitely touchier, but easier to throw straight.

Last edited:
another vote for the Jokeri, my favorite throwing/approach putter by far, not as OS to me as the Harp, feels great in the hand for BH and FH, Envy would also work- I have one on the bench, but the Jokeri took it's slot in my bag

I wish I took a pic, b/c this isn't the first time this has been questioned. Except last time, it was something about the shoulder being different. Side by side, I couldn't see any difference in shape, height, depth or PLH.

All that said, you still might be right. The Cryztal FLX Ringer flew straighter out of the box than a 8/10 SP Breaker, and the SP, Glow and Flex Breakers I have all fly the same.

I've heard the Discraft guys talk about it...maybe Dion Arlyn or MJ. One of them mentioned the spacer used to make the Breaker mold.

I was looking at them last night and my D Ringers are definitely shallower than the SP and Proline Breakers, but I don't doubt that your Cryztal FLX is the same as the SPs (either by being run in a different mold or the plastics just shaping up differently.)

Anyway, Ringer/Breaker is one of my favorite molds, and look forward to trying any variations they come up with. I'm curious to see the 2017 Ledgestone Z Ringers, to see which mold they feel more like.