• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for discs

I agree with Hampstead. I'd rather not find a disc, but I have returned many and it is a hassle. I don't mark my discs anymore because I've NEVER gotten a call. And, with the price of gas and limited time, it's likely not worth trying to get one of mine back if I got a call.

For me, it's a nice bonus to find unmarked plastic. I don't really seek them out, and usually only come across them when I'm looking for one of my errant shots. I've never found one that wasn't Discraft or Innova though.

I generally play in a group of 5-8 people which allows me to wander about a little and scour for discs. I also dredge the local pond and always return discs with names/numbers. Discs without names and numbers get sold to fund my addiction to DG.

Eight people. :eek: Hoping not during the day on a weekend.

No kidding. Break it into two groups of four, please.

My suggestion almost every single time we play... group won't go for it. Usually not many other groups out in the winter here and we ALWAYS let people play through.

i've been looking for plastic pretty much the entire winter. hell, i looked today since it was raining pretty good i figured a lot of the snow melted and uncovered some of my discs.

NOPE. or if it did, the guy walking along the trails with a stack of discs, not throwing, with the ****-eating grin already found them.

found 4 others, though. 2 are already on their way back to their owners, the other two unmarked and waiting for the good word.

i *really* just wanna find my own discs, but it's fun looking because after you play so often you can pretty much find a disc, look at the name and say "hey, i remember that guy". you give it back and you get fake karma that never gets your own discs returned except every great once in a while.

Yup, find them in some odd places, sometime in the middle of the fairway. Those puzzle me... I figure the next throw must have hit chains and the guy lost his mind with excitement.

The others are the ones in the basket.... I kinda get those... your talking smack after the putt(from 3 feet away).... Your buddy is sporting a triple and still tossing disc cause he hopelssly trapped in the woods.

Then there's what I call the "Pipe Effect". The group ahead of you has been hitting the pipe and they just walk away from a pile of discs, a whole bag, their stash, cell phone or their dog. I have to bring them their stuff cause it's funny. I got more dogs than I need and I don't bother with the other stuff.

Yes, we all(most of us) look for disc.

If I find a nice disc with name /ph# , I will call. Best case, the person will say, nah, keep it man. worst case, I get some good karma. But most of the discs I find are chucker discs (i.e. champ Boss, Nuke, etc, usually tie dye pattern) and I just leave 'em. Let someone else have the fun of finding them .

Everyone loves getting something for free. I always call the number, but I do hope that just as I find a disc that there is no phone number. About 30% of the people I call get their disc back. Most of the time the owner thanks me and tells me to enjoy it.

I don't ever go looking for them but if I'm looking for one of mine and I find one I usually hope it has ink with current info on it. I've got too many discs of my own I really don't want to find more. If I do happen to find one that isn't inked and not something I throw I put it up as the CTP prize at our next doubles. I play with plenty of people who are happy to take free discs.

I don't look for them actively and never find many anyway. Mostly they are cracked or worse.

I don't actively look, but I keep an eye out. If I see a spot under a bush or something I will keep an eye out just in case. I have yet to find anything but a crappy old beach frizbee but you never know and plus if it has a number I will call.

Last edited:
6 of the 9 holes on our course have water. I carry a fish net with telescoping pole and have a swimming pool pole if I need to go longer. It's mainly to fish out my bad throws but I have found lots of discs and have returned all that had name and number on them. After loosing several of my own discs I quit throwing anything that doesn't float around water.