• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for Point Series Format Ideas

1854online

Have you run or played in a good club point series? Our club is looking to set something up for our members. I would love to have some sample formats to work with.

thanks in advance

Ours is pretty simple (NOTE - I had nothing to do with this setup). At each event you're awarded points based on where you finish in your division - 1 point for first, 2 points for second, and so on. No Shows get points equal to double the number of people in the division plus 2 (so if 15 people show up, No Shows get 32 points). Lowest total number of points at the end of the series wins.

They drop the highest scoring event from your total, so you could tank one tourney or miss it completely and it won't hurt your final score. This applies for all the events except for the Finale which cannot be dropped. The Finale is also double points for everyone.

There are typically multiple ways of doing it from what I've seen.

The first is basically a point for every person you beat. The upside to this is you are rewarded for playing good in larger fields. The downside is you are penalized by smaller fields.

The other is a set number of points for first, set for second, set for third, etc. The upside and downside to this are the opposite of the first one.

I'm also a big fan of not turning points series into attendance awards.

I run the NC State Series and while that is a bigger scale, one thing I do is try to both award attendance, but make it possible for people to miss multiple events yet still win.

There are 20 events, but only 13 events count towards your total. If you play more than 13, your lowest scores are dropped.

This rewards attendance (dropping poor events) but also makes it so someone who just shows up 20 times isn't garunteed to win.

The best system really kind of depends on the needs of your group. Personally, I prefer a system that does all of the following...

1. Rewards players with some points for participation regardless of finish.
2. Doesn't make it necessary for people to show up every week or almost every week to win.
3. Rewards people more for beating a larger group of players.
4. Discourages people from playing in lower divisions against easier competition to get more points.

The way it's done around here is you want to get the most points. 1 point for just showing up and playing, 1 point for every stroke under par, 1 point for every person you beat.

So if 4 people are playing (Jim, John, Jake, Jerry) and Jim shoots -5, John shoots -3, Jake shoots +1, Jerry shoots +4. Then>>

Jim gets 1 point for playing, 3 points for beating 3 people, 5 points for being 5 under = Total of 9.
John gets 1 for playing, 2 points for beating 2 people, 3 points for 3 under = 6
Jake gets 1 for playing, 1 for beating 1 person, 0 for being over par = 2
Jerry gets 1 for playing, 0 for beating nobody, 0 for being over par = 1

In our club we do monthlies at two courses and the winner at each course gets an additional 3 points.

We do points for birdies...

1 point for showing up
1 point for each birdie
5 points for an ace

This way you do not have to win the round to get points. We do pay out the winner of nightly rounds as well. It is nice because you don't have to be a great player to have a chance. We have a melo league though so this might not be the best way for everyone.

Ours is pretty simple (NOTE - I had nothing to do with this setup). At each event you're awarded points based on where you finish in your division - 1 point for first, 2 points for second, and so on. No Shows get points equal to double the number of people in the division plus 2 (so if 15 people show up, No Shows get 32 points). Lowest total number of points at the end of the series wins.

They drop the highest scoring event from your total, so you could tank one tourney or miss it completely and it won't hurt your final score. This applies for all the events except for the Finale which cannot be dropped. The Finale is also double points for everyone.
You might want to tell your league director that his system has one terrible flaw, or two actually. The player that wins in any particular week can't do any better than scoring lower than '1' no matter if he has to beat five people or 25 people to do it, albeit I think we would all agree that latter would be considerably harder.

Similarly, if no shows are to be punished, shouldn't they be punished equally per offense and not variably upon how many other people showed up the week that they missed. Under that system, if there are 15 people and a no show gets 32 points, why should a player who misses the following week when there are 20 people get 42 points for the same indiscretion? There's not much a no show can do about other people's attendance.

We do points for birdies...

1 point for showing up
1 point for each birdie
5 points for an ace

This way you do not have to win the round to get points. We do pay out the winner of nightly rounds as well. It is nice because you don't have to be a great player to have a chance. We have a melo league though so this might not be the best way for everyone.

I don't like that at all, a guy could get 4 birdies and 10 triple bogeys and still beat a guy who got 3 birdies and played the rest of the round par.

I don't like that at all, a guy could get 4 birdies and 10 triple bogeys and still beat a guy who got 3 birdies and played the rest of the round par.

Yeah I understand that. We payout the winner of the night and month based on score. We run a handie-cap league with losts of new and young players and want everyone to have a chance to win something.

The points this way make evey skill level able to earn points no matter how good or bad they are. I said it wasn't for everyone in my post.

We play a/b/c random doubles for 27 weeks top 18 weeks count for points series. 2 points for playing 1 point for every person you beat. $6 per player $1 from every player each night goes to top 5 season end payouts and a season end BBQ. Optional $1 ace pot Optional $1 Birdie Bank. We also run the ace pot and birdie bank with bonus points. 10 points for an ace added to you overall season total, 5 points for breaking the birdie bank (3 birdies out of 4 random selected holes) added to that nights total. Only if you bought in to the ace pot or birdie bank. Use discgolfscene to track your point series great site easy to track point however you like. We run 2 separate leagues 1 tuesdays at 1 course and 1 thursdays at another.

Not sure if O.P. is taking about a multi-tournament points series, or local league play. If the latter---

Our random doubles league is played on a course where virtually every team will shoot under par, and winners -12 or better. The points go like this

1 point for attendance.
5 points for 1st, 3 points for 2nd, 1 point for 3rd, regardless of attendance.
1 point for each stroke under par.

Cash payouts are based on attendance, both in depth and amount.

This rewards both attendance and good play. It also means that if you're playing bad and know you're out of the cash, each birdie still garners you a point, so there's an incentive to play hard right to the end.

I am part of two points series, one good and one bad. My local course league that meets twice a week has a very simple system: Show up and you get ten points, top three each time get 1, 2, or 3 points. So basically, the person with the most points at the end of the year is the one with the most open schedule that can show up twice a week. This is bad. I am one of the better players (top three every time) and have no chance at winning the point series because weeknights are tough and I'm busy playing tournaments on weekends.

The other points series is New England's tournament series. Each tournament gives points on a 100 points scale divided based on the number of players in the division. Winner gets 100 plus 0.1 for each person in the division. Last place gets 100/number of players in the division. Second to last is 2 * (100/number of players). And so on. This works well in that everyone gets points for showing up and wins are rated nearly equally. Finishing high in a big field is rewarded while finishing low in a big field is punished. Whereas finishes towards the middle aren't nearly as affected by field size.

You could do something similar to this with points adding up over the year to encourage attendance. For our series, only your best five or six (depending on division) events count towards your total. So the only advantage to playing more events is more opportunities to get a high score.