• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for suggestions or drivers.

BrickE

So, I am looking for the right driver for a guy like me at this point in time. Currently I am getting the best results out of an Orc and a Wild Cat. I can throw alright thumbers with my avenger, and I could't throw my Nuke SS unless I am trying to hook around a tree at close range. I am looking for a lot of glide because I do not have a rocket arm by any means.
Thinking about an Arch Angel or any other suggestions would be nice.
Want a disc to stick with for a while while I'm trying to get this drive thing worked out.

Not sure what your distance is at right now for the best answer for ya...but I when I talk to people that are ready to take on some faster drivers from their Valks, Birds, and what-not, I always recommend the Surge or Surge SS. Has amazing glide, and goes a long long way without cranking on it. It's a speed 10, so has a reasonably wide lip on it...feels amazing in the hand. You can't possibly go wrong with this disc

I'd go Sidewinder or Valk before the Archangel. For something more stable you can try an SOLF or SPD, both are very controllable drivers that have a ton of glide.

I would say im landing in the 225 range. I don't think that I need a next step as much as I need a better first step. I get a really wild drive once and a while that goes further.

Drop that Orc if your hitting 225' and grab your (midrange of choice) and start throwing that.

And instead of sitting here and listening to 50 people tell you that exact same thing you should go video yourself throwing and post it in the form analysis section, people smarter than me will tell you what you're doing wrong. Then work on that for a month and come back here.

Seriously though, good form is so much more important than what driver, good form will allow you to pick almost any driver and make it do what you want.
Now go, record vid and post :D

It's true that good form is important, but it's also important to have a driver that will help you learn. If your distance is only 225' right now, I'd start with something like a lightweight pro leopard. It will go far with good form. Also, as somebody else mentioned, work on pushing your midranges out further. And don't forget putters. If you learn to get your putters out past 200', you'll be surprised how well you'll throw your next driver.

What's a Wildcat...do they still make those? :)

Yeah...I'd say put your drivers away for awhile and step back to some mids or slower fairways. Something like a Buzz/Core/Skeeter would be a good teacher and you might be surprised how quickly you'll be pushing those out to the same driver-distance you're currently getting. At that point, your form may be better enough that if you throw your drivers, you might see some increased distance from them. I'll second the suggestion of a Leopard - great fairway driver and you can get those out to 300' easily once your form settles in a bit (I wouldn't go too light...my recommendation would be a 170 pro, or a 165ish star...light champ if it's windy where you live).

You can use your progress as an indicator of when you're able to step up to faster discs. If your speed 9/10 drivers are only going 10 feet further than your slower discs, then put them away for awhile and keep working with the slower discs. When those slower discs start going farther, test out the faster ones again and compare. Eventually, your form will clean up and power will increase to the point where you can legitimately get those faster discs up to their proper speed and throw them with flights they're supposed to have. But seriously the Leopard should probably be everyone's first driver and is capable of a lot of distance. Once you get it mastered, a whole world of drivers will open up, but until then all of those fast discs will be kind of a waste and might conceal flaws in your form that will get you stuck/stop your progression to being a better thrower and getting more distance.

Videoing yourself is great. Share it with others for advice, or just keep it to yourself and compare your form to what you see on others' videos.

Thanks for the input everyone - I grabbed a lighter disc out of my bag today and was able to pick up about 40 ft. I am going to picj up a lighter Buzz and work on throwing it for a while.

Latest posts